News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Name that Architect
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:19:56 PM »
Here is one picture from each of 5 courses.  Can you name the architect, based on the bunkering style and other features in the picture.  They are all modern courses.

Course 1

Course 2

Course 3

Course 4

Course 5

And, as a bonus extra point, can you name this modern, recently awarded, architect in the following picture.  The player, not the course.

Garland Bayley

Re:Name that Architect
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »
Whoever the player is, he does not hit from the right side of the ball.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Brown

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »
golfer -- judging by the follow through -- Justin Leonard

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »
#1 Coore & Crenshaw, #2 Scott Miller (who could forget those natural looking 12" bands of non-overseeded grass perfectly encircling each bunker?).

#3, #4, #5, not a MacKenzie in the bunch!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 09:24:32 PM »
Is #5 Doak, the Apache Stronghold course?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mark Studer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »
1. C&C 2.? 3.Stranz 4.Rees Jones5.Nicklaus?-good looking hole 4. could be T. Fazio? It's  fun to guess.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »
I'm going to guess Scott Miller.  #4 looks like Kierland which I have only seen but not played while visiting my sister who lives a few blocks from there.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:14:49 PM »
1 is Talking Stick
5 is the Redan at AS

3 - "I receive my inspiration from the natural surrounds and am inspired by the random grounds of St. Andrews" is what I imagine the architect would say about the course.  The pimple looks like the hill in the background and it goes to prove talk is cheap...

Mark - good call on Justin - he recently teamed up with T. Davis on a project - I read in a release somewhere - it does look like him - also at AS.

Bryan - I hope you'll include the story of your playing partner.

Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 11:27:13 PM »
Golfer is not Justin Leonard - somewhar bigger and stronger - but, now that you mention it, he has the flat follow through.  I'm sure he'd be pleased to be compared to Justin.  He's a full time architect and sometime poster here, and had a hand in one of the 5 courses.

Yes, #1 is C&C at the 17th at Talking Stick N.  

#2 is Scott Miller at the 9th at We-ko-pa.  Not a big fan of the natural winter bunker look, Bill?

#3 None of the above, although I like Mike's analysis of the work  ;D

#4 is not Kierland

#5 is most certainly Tom Doak and the Redan 17th  at AS

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »
Is 4 Tom Weiskopf?

Sam Sikes

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
3 looks like palmer, or devlin/von hagge.

Gary_Mahanay

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 05:18:52 PM »
The architect hitting the shot is Jeffrey D. Brauer.  You can tell by the fat wallet in his back right pocket. ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »
I tell you what.  There is a serious disconnect between the bunkering and the mounding on the third photo.  It looks like the result of two guys not communicating very well.  Of all the photos, this hole looks like the one done by an amateur.

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 05:46:48 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »
Jay, no it's not Weiskopf.

Sam, nope, not Palmer, Devlin, or Von Hagge.  Given some of the other comments I'm not sure anyone will want to have their name attached to it.

Gary, nope, not Jeff Brauer.  Perhaps all architects carry big wallets.  Rumour has it that it's a good business to be in. ;)

Sean, interesting thought.  The course is composed of two parts which were designed by two different architects at different times.  I don't know if the latter one modified this green complex designed by the former.  Perhaps some of the locals would know. It does look odd doesn't it.

C'mon, you Arizona guys, somebody must know these architects and courses.

A hint on the archie/player.  He was recently awarded one of the year's 10 best new courses.  He has been described as a "Famed golf course designer".  But, he says Justin Leonard is better looking.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 07:10:37 PM »
Bryan, re Wa-ke-po and the "natural look of the bunkers in winter":

I didn't find anything natural about that look at all when I was there playing in December.  They just don't overseed that band which is so regular around every bunker that anything natural-looking is lost.  IMHO.

Is #6 the 17th at Apache Stronghold?  I was trying to figure out which hole as there's nothing defined out there, and then I noticed that little edge in the bottom which could be the mesa you have to carry to reach the green.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »
Is Forrest Richardson the re-model archie for #3?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 10:16:24 PM »
OK I'll try again...is 4 Tom Jackson?  It looks a little like Stonewall...

The bunkers might not be him, but that's what it looks like.  Tough one...

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »
A correction, the AS Redan hole is actually the 14th.  Ooops.

Jay, nope not Stonewall or Jackson. Both courses are in the Phoenix area and on the usual lists of public access courses to play if you're in the neighbourhood.

Adam, nope it's not Forrest.

Bill, the sixth picture is the 16th at AS, a dogleg left par 5.  The fairway is off to the right of the picture and then turns left over an arroyo to the green.  The flag is visible just left of the player's cap.  He's taking the risk/reward shortcut, and he made it.  Easy birdie.  Here's a picture of the 17th played into the setting December sun.

As a further hint to Courses #3 and #4 here are one additional picture of each.

Course #3  It shows the same mounding around the green and the small splash bunkers.

Course #4

kwl

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 07:15:52 PM »
4=sunridge canyon keith foster

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 07:54:12 PM »
The picture #5 of the Apache Stronghold Redan is deceptive, as you can't see the slope of the green right to left.

I was also just as confused standing on the tee at photo #6 in person as looking at it in the picture!  I look forward to playing that hole again, as it can't be as difficult as I made it!  :P

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 11:43:51 AM »
kwl, yes, finally #4 is SunRidge Canyon, designed by Keith Foster.

Bill, yes, the tee shot was confusing to me as well.  The fairway route has a semi-blind tee shot and the distances and angles were not clear.  A little deception from Mr Doak. The short cut over the the corner of the dogleg was a mystery, as evidenced in the picture.

I too made a hash of the hole, despite a good drive and playing a second shot from the fairway, I ended up with this third shot.  The fairway in the second landing area ran out fast. :-[

Since no one seems to be getting picture #3, the answer is #18 of the  Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon.  Architect is listed as Ken Kavanaugh, although there is information that he only "worked" on the holes pictured and that they were cleared by another architect - perhaps Greg Nash.  There are noticeable differences between holes 5 through 13 that Kavanaugh designed, and the other holes that were under construction and that he worked on.

And, finally, the unknown architect/golfer in picture #6 is David Druzisky.  He was recently awarded 9th best new course by GD for Laughlin Ranch.  He also had a hand in SunRidge Canyon.  Apart from being a fine architect he also has game (albeit slightly erratic; he claims from lack of play and practice).   It was a great day playing AS with David.  A fine course and a knowledgeable and interesting playing partner.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back