News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

The AT&T Courses
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:40:47 PM »
At Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill, Poppy Hills, and again Pebble.

But wait a second, where did Poppy Hills come from??

Why the heck would they replace Poppy Hills with Cypress Point??  Maybe CPC is easy for the pros, but who really cares.  I sure think the tourney would be better (then it already is...) if they added CPC to the rotation.  Am I the only one who agrees??  Why did they take out CPC anyways??  Poppy Hills might be an OK course but if the pro's like CPC better and we like CPC better (especially on TV) then shouldnt Cypress be in the rotation over Poppy??

On the other hand, taking out Poppy Hills, is this the best PGA tournament as far as courses are concerned??
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:41:45 PM by Jordan Wall »

Kyle Harris

Re:The AT&T Courses
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:44:50 PM »
It's because of CPC's exclusionary membership policies I believe. It hosted the event up until Shoal Creek in 1990.

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »
Jordan -
When was the last time you played Poppy Hills, or, for that matter, Cypress Point? You never know, you might prefer Poppy Hills to Cypress were you able to play both.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »
I just said for the tournament they should change the courses.  I know I am much more inclined to watch the pros play CPC then Poppy Hills.

And the pros like CPC better too.

Therefore, why was the change made and why are they not changing back to how it was before??

Michael Robin

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 02:20:35 AM »
Jordan, Kyle has it right. On the heels of the Shoal Creek issue for the PGA Championship, The Tour gave an ultimatum to their tournaments that they were not allowed to use golf courses who had exclusionary policies in their membership practices. The clubs had to change their policies or they could not be a host. Some clubs did change, and some wouldn't(CPC), so some tournaments were forced into new sites.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 02:32:48 AM by Michael Robin »

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:21:21 AM »
Jordan,

I know it's not a US Tour event but the Dunhill links pro-am probably has the best set of courses of any pro event. Similar to the AT&T it has a round at each of St.Andrews, Carnoustie, and Kingsbarns with the final round at St.Andrews.

Pity that they don't play it in the summer!

Ed

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 06:29:35 AM »
Jordan, The membeship policy is at the fore front, as stated above. But, think about it. You belong to the sistine chapel. Do you want the throngs of spectators traipsing through your valuable garden? For the company, it's totally justifiable since the accomodations wouldn't be near capacity this time of year if it were'nt for the clambake.

Plus, the flaw in your logic is that you really do not get to see them play Poppy Hills, save for the last. Although I have seen them take one of the hand held cameras around Poppy. But that was just once.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 08:19:56 AM »
Rumor has it that Trump will buy Poppy Hills and declare that it is better than Cypress Point, giving him domanince over the entire Monterey Peninsula since he has already declared that Trump National in LA is better than Pebble. ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:20:21 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 10:40:25 AM »
Rumor has it that Trump will buy Poppy Hills and declare that it is better than Cypress Point, giving him domanince over the entire Monterey Peninsula since he has already declared that Trump National in LA is better than Pebble. ;D

But I wonder what he would say about it in relation to Trump in LA - considering that he annointed Trump Trails as the best course in all of California - how does he reconcile his multiple courses in the East?  Which one is best, Donald?
:D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »
The way I understood it, CP requires members to be land owners in the Pebble Beach area and there were no African American land owners who wanted to be members at that time and CP refused to change the membership rules to bring in such a member and were dropped from the tourny. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Doesn't George Lopez now own a home in PB? Maybe if they offer him a membership they can get back onto the rotation. Jerry Rice or Michael Jordan could afford a home in PB.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
The Tour decision also resulted in the movement the Dallas and Chicago tour stops away from the all male Preston Trail and Butler National.

Even though Cypress Point is not in the AT&T rotation any longer, I am very sure that many tour players keep it in their rotation this week!  

When the Tour comes to the DC area Burning Tree and Congressional seem to play host to many of the PGA pros.

Despite playing golf for a living, these guys are just like the rest of us when it comes to taking advantage of a good golfing experience. They jump on it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back