News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Whitten's Revised Pebble Opinion
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:25:32 AM »
http://www.golfobserver.com/preview/golfnotebook/golfnotebook_021006.html#courseobserver

The above link should take you to Golf Observer's newest feature page.

There you shall find one of the more unique pieces ever written. A scribe/critic admitting thier earlier opinion was in error. Not just any scribe, but Ron Whitten admits that Pebble is better than he ever thought it was.

The Verdict
I was wrong -- Pebble Beach needs one other improvement: A much faster pace of play. On Golf Digest's 10 point scale (1 being Unacceptable, 5 being Good, 10 being Absolutely Perfect), I rate Pebble Beach a 9.5.

Kudos to Whitten for the balls to re-evaluate.

I did take exception with two points.
1) I'm not certain if the lateral spine, he talks about on #12, is actually that. Perhaps it's semantics? As I recall the surface, it has several deceptive slopes. The most deceptive eminates from the right third of the green, towards the sea.(Likely what he calls "lateral spine") While the extreme right side is not as steep, there is no contrary slope, which would create a spine, IMO. The backside of the front bunker slopes away from the player, so any ball that just carries likey runs through. The back left side also slopes towards the center. Advice most often given when putting up Whitten's spine was " slower than it looks".

2), I completely disagree with his recco to raise the 17th tee. Firstly, he cites the views of crashing waves. Ahhmmm but this is STILLWATER COVE. Not too many crashers here. Maybe in the winter with a nice southern swell, but crashing waves are very rare indeed. Also, one of the most over looked subtleties integral to the design is where there is a lack of raised teeing grounds. If the first hole had it's original teeing ground, this element would be in your face on the very first. If that's not enough, why the raised bunker lip in front of the entire left 2/3 of the 17th green? The blindness is integral to the shot demand. It hieghtens the puckerability while accentuating the anticipation caused by not knowing exactly where one's ball came to rest, as you walk towards an unobstructed view of the Pacific. Raising the teeing ground would only appease the typical resort player, who play golf just for the vistas, and we all know how much they appreciate thoughtful design.

I might as well disagree with him about the pace, too.

Otherwise, Bravo !

Dan_Callahan

Re:Whitten's Revised Pebble Opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 09:38:47 AM »
Adam,

Ron did the same thing with Great River in Conn. A revisit to the course resulted in a revised—and significantly downgraded—review. I have to give him credit for owning up to his misjudgment. Now if he would only take another shot at his Gillette Ridge-Wintonbury Hills comparison . . .
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:39:10 AM by Dan_Callahan »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 09:43:33 AM »
The article doesn't mention any of the changes Arnold Palmer has done over the last few years and how that has impacted the golf course?  

All in all though I have to agree with him, Pebble is always exciting and always interesting.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 09:44:38 AM »
after much internal toing and froing, I agree with the 17th:  leave it as it is

after all, it is the site of Jack's 1-iron and the greatest golf shot of all time, TW's pitch in....just ask Shivas ;)!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

redanman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »
First off
Golf Digest's Ron Whitten, the preeminent golf course architecture critic, will review a course each week for GolfDigest.com
.... so says who else? Golf Digest.  Consider the source.

The Verdict
I was wrong -- Pebble Beach needs one other improvement: A much faster pace of play. On Golf Digest's 10 point scale (1 being Unacceptable, 5 being Good, 10 being Absolutely Perfect), I rate Pebble Beach a 9.5.

Kudos to Whitten for the balls to re-evaluate.

This is all about feel good even more than Brad's article and more so sucking up.  

What a bunch of crap.  Real balls is standing up and noting that Pebble Beach is a nice golf course in an extrordinary setting, nothing more.  At least he alludes to that with the "Tugs at my heart bit".

I also suppose that it's good to have the Pebble Beach Company on your side and sucking up to them royally doesn't hurt.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:02:22 AM by redanman® aka BillV »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back