News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Lakewood CC in Cleveland
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:51:09 AM »
I have a bunch of family that are members there, and have played it quite a few times growing up. From what I've heard is that it is the only Tilly in the state of Ohio. And recent restoration is underway.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it? Considering the GCA...I'm surprised it is always rated so low.

thanks,

pat craig
H.P.S.

Chris_Hunt

Re:Lakewood CC in Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »
Pat:

I live about 1000 yards from the course, and have played it several times over the years.  While the maintenance is excellent (not in the 'firm/fast' way, but rather the 'no blade of grass out of place' way), and there are some decent holes, the course has a few things going against it:

-19 holes on 120 flat acres
-Way too much tree growth
-A string of disjointed renovations over the years
-Bunkers that in no way remind one of Tillinghast
-Heavy soils
-Greens that are nothing mostly nothing special
-A replacement par-3 on the back that is not reminiscent of the original or the rest of the course

Maybe the renovation job will improve some of these issues.  I have not really gotten the scoop on the scope of it.  I am not holding my breath.  It is what it is.

CH

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »
I do remember it having tons and tons of trees, and that unusal par 3 on the back side over water.

Have the renovations over the years taken out all of Tills. work?
H.P.S.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 11:59:15 PM »
Craig-  I played there last fall as part of my trip to Canterbury and Inverness.  It is the home of the Tillinghast Association and the president of the organization is a member there.  
  Compared to a bunch of other courses in the general area, Lakewood is just ok. It can't compare with courses like Canterbury or Kirtland.  It is totally flat as mentioned, and actually Tillie did a pretty good job trying to make the course as interesting as possible by using doglegs and bunkering.  The greens are in fantastic shape and roll so pure.  I enjoyed meeting a lot of the members who were great.  
   By the way, the annual meeting of the Tillinghast Association is scheduled there at the end of Sept.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back