News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Which do you consider more penal?
« on: February 11, 2006, 10:25:44 PM »
Consider two alternate route holes:

Forgetting my poor mouse artwork... everything is equal but the positioning of the bunkers.

Which do you consider to be more penal?

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Which do you consider more penal?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 10:38:52 PM »
Kyle,

Without benefit of the yardages, it's a more difficult question to answer.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 10:41:13 PM »
Pat,

Fair enough. I was thinking a 400 yard par 4 down the right hand fairway. The carry to the left hand fairway would be 190 yards. From the end of the left hand fairway to the center of the green would be ~90 yards.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:42:02 PM by Kyle Harris »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 11:01:49 PM »
The bunkers have nothing to do with it. The left hand route is more penal, because of the positioning with respect to the stream.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 11:08:09 PM »
Garland,

Not which route... which hole.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 11:14:06 PM »
Taking the left side, hole #1

taking the right side, hole #2

overall hole #2 though, because going both ways you are required to carry a hazard
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:14:57 PM by Jordan Wall »

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 11:16:45 PM »
I'll go with the one on the left.  

You kind of get a double whammy with the stream going the left route, and then the need to navigate the bunkers, which I envision being very nasty.  

The hole to the right I would classify as having greater balance, but not necessarily a penal hole.  This all depends on how often the left had route would need to be taken.  By this I mean hole location or situation in a match etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:22:09 PM by Dave Bourgeois »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »
Garland,

Not which route... which hole.
I guess I did not make myself clear. It is not the bunkers that make the penal nature of either hole, unless you give me much more detail, like the green slopes front to back. By far the most penal item on either hole is the stream, i.e., 1 stroke penalty. Since it is the penal item, then I chose to play the right side no matter which placement of bunkers are used.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 11:26:59 PM »
Garland,

Understood there. However, if you were playing a fairly decent tee game, would you consider taking the left side to give yourself the shorter shot (and better angle, let's say the grene slopes that way)? Or would it still not make a difference?

All,

I recognize the penal aspects of the hole, which is why I asked which do you consider to be more penal.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 11:34:35 PM »
Forgetting my poor mouse artwork... everything is equal but the positioning of the bunkers.
It is hard to ignore your poor mouse work, because everything is not equal. Copy and paste has the wonderful characteristic of making everything equal. :) Is the green really as egg shaped as on the right or is it more round as on the left? If I average them, then the green has more room in the right drawing. Assuming there is no penal creek, then the left hole is more penal, because the limited green depth behind the bunkers.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 11:36:38 PM »
I'll start on a better hand rendering then.  :)

Jim Thompson

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 12:03:41 AM »
Kyle,

i would say that the left hole is penal in design while the right is heroic in design.  The alternat routes are a draw as they are both risk reward oriented with the only difference being the amount of carry fot the second shot.  The left holes easy route has a punitive condition for any mishits to the left.  It should be noted though that the hole is more penal for left handers than righties as a left handers leftward mishit will more likely end up short left while when a rightie misses to the left it ends up long of ttarget more times than not.  A single bunker short right and another long left would maximize the penal factors.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

JNC Lyon

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »
Clearly the second hole is more penal, as the short hitter has
no way to bounce the ball onto the green.  I think I might
have a shot at hitting a 200-yard drive, then a 3-wood
somewhere around the green on the first hole for a par
opportunity.  I wouldn't even try it on the second hole.  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:05:48 AM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
Kyle,

It would appear that the hole on the left offers little in the way of additional problems should the golfer take the right fairway route.

The hole on the right has no unobstructed approach to the green.

Given the choice of which hole and route to play in a medal play situation, I'd take the right route on the hole on the left.

Hope that helps

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
I agree with Pat, for the reasons he stated.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back