News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHC1948

Mid-Ocean Club
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:27:23 PM »
Gentlemen,  

I'm planning on taking a trip to Bermuda in June, my dates aren't set yet.  First, is June a good month to play Mid-Ocean Club?  Where is the best & affordable place to sta and have access to the Mid-Ocean Club.  Any suggestions of you have been there would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Mark Brown

Re:Mid-Ocean Club
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:36:05 PM »
Marriott Castle Harbor -- they have an enjoyable course also and play Port Royal (Jones Sr.)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »
What's with the Secret Agent code name?

Bob

CHC1948

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »
My name is Craig... :)

Craig Disher

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »
chc1948
There was a thread a few days ago on Mid-Ocean and Bermuda. Look here

Remember that affordable is a relative term in Bermuda. When you book, make sure you ask the hotel if they can arrange play for you at Mid-Ocean.

Stu Grant

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 03:07:50 PM »
Marriott Castle Harbor -- they have an enjoyable course also and play Port Royal (Jones Sr.)

Unfortunately the Castle Harbour hotel has been demolished...a new facility is in the works but won't be completed until late 2007.  Try the Pink Beach Club, they may be able to get you on Mid Ocean.  There are certain days of the week (I can't remember what days those are) where it is easier to gain access.

Gerry B

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 04:09:12 PM »
try and stay at mid ocean - they have cottages or elbow beach  or coral beach

june is starting to get quite hot and humid - but not as bad as august

as mentioned - port royal is very good  as well

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »
Gerry B, Port Royal is to Mid Ocean as Montecito CC is to the Valley Club!  :D  A decent place to play, but given the chance..........

Stu Grant

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
Bill, I agree with you that Mid Ocean is something special, far and away the most memorable golfing experience in Bermuda.  

But if Mid Ocean's superior conditioning and history are excluded from the analysis, I think Port Royal is every bit as good of a design as Mid Ocean.  

Bottom line is, both courses are must-plays during a visit to Bermuda.  If a third round is possible I'd try and get on Tucker's Point Club which is right beside Mid Ocean in Tucker's Town.  I haven't played it since the redesign was completed (it was formerly the Castle Harbour course) but have heard good reviews.

Gerry B

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:20:42 PM »
bill mcbride  -thanks for the tip- i resided there for 3 years and played each course at least 50 times - yes mid ocean is the better course bu port royal has some holes that are equal to the best at mid ocean save and except the 5th of course.

Scott Coan

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 05:47:48 PM »
Gentlemen,  

I'm planning on taking a trip to Bermuda in June, my dates aren't set yet.  First, is June a good month to play Mid-Ocean Club?  Where is the best & affordable place to sta and have access to the Mid-Ocean Club.  Any suggestions of you have been there would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Chris, June is fine for Bermuda.  Basically anytime from May thru till September/early October is great.  A lot of people think Bermuda is tropical but I can promise you that it gets real nasty in winter.  Not much fun when its 50 degrees and pissing down rain when you have to jump on your moped and drive to work!

As all have previously said, Mid-Ocean is a must-play and can be arranged via your accommodation.  Affordable accommodation near Mid-Ocean is another story.  Far and away the best way to go is to rent a private home in Tucker's Town but you need more than one couple to make it affordable.  

On the south coast in Devonshire is Ariel Sands which is nicely located.  Close to Hamilton and not too far from the gorgeous beaches.  

Out next to Port Royal is the Pompano Beach Club, about a 30 minute drive out from Hamilton.  Port Royal is also a must-play as well.  Not as nicely conditioned as Mid-Ocean but still a blast.  I played it every weekend and had no complaints.

Riddell's Bay is also worth checking out as that's the premiere "members club" on the island.  You may get some members to take you under their wing and show you the true island life.  

Feel free to IM me and I'll try and fill you in on any more specifics.  I lived there for a year in the early 90's and played every course heaps of times.

If you are into your snorkeling I'll give you a hint.  Got to one of the local markets and buy some zip lock bags and some frozen peas.  Whip a few out while out on the reef line and you will be swarmed by the fish!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »
Gerry, about 10 years ago I played one round at Port Royal and three at Mid Ocean.  That's about the ratio I would wish to play them in if I went over there again.  Port Royal was dramatic and lovely, but I'm a hopeless MacDonald / Raynor fan.  You ought to know, I met you at Chicago Golf Club last year!

Just MHO.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 08:10:33 PM »
Craig,

Maybe you would want to check out the new redone Belmont course and give us a report.  When I was last in BDA, the old course was completely torn up during the redesign.  The website makes it look fun, and a quintessential Bermuda golf experience (narrow, short, brilliantly green, surrounded by pink houses, ocean views).  It's only 6000ish yards, but I will try it next time I'm out there.

Also, search under Bermuda Golf Association, their web page has overviews of all the courses, and links to their websites.

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back