News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Are 60 acres enough?
« on: February 08, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »
A friend of mine has bought a small farm - 59 acres, I think.  It is roughly rectangular and generally flat, apart from a hill down to a stream at one end.  Could you get 9 holes on such a site?  He's not talking about something to rival Royal Worlington, but a simple pay-and-play course that would provide much needed low-end access for occasional or impoverished golfers in an area where currently it is mostly private members' clubs.  He wouldn't need to build elaborate practice facilities as there is a driving range locally. This is in England, by the way.  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 01:58:29 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

PThomas

Re:Are 60 acres enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 02:00:14 PM »
I would think so...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 02:02:13 PM »
I would think so. In Dayton, Ohio. Dayton Country Club- 18 holes- Donald Ross sits on 96 acres. Is it tight? Absolutely, but it does not really bother you and it has some decent holes.

tonyt

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 02:08:03 PM »
I'm guessing, but I would have thought that 9 holes on 60 acres would be a lot easier than 18 holes on 120 acres. And although a sporting course of interesting greens over plain ones and more length would be ideal, even your length options may not be limited at all.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 02:27:06 PM »
Shivas,

No it's all soil.  Mind you, there is one course near here which has water of some kind on about 16 holes, but they are mostly marl pits dug out centuries ago to provide cattle with a place to drink water.  Unfortunately they are nearly all owned by local angling clubs and the course is not only littered with anglers under their umbrellas but also with anglers' families running backwards and forwards to their cars to bring sandwiches and flasks of tea.  It's ghastly, but it's much more affordable than the local private clubs.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »
Mark,
Sure...
Does he need irrigation?
If so where is the irrigation water?
It could be quite creative - depending on saftey and amount of play.
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
The entire maintained turf area of the Ocean Course is only 55 acres (70 with the driving range).  Of course, we have acres and acres of dunes, marshes and lakes that separate the holes... :)

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »
I have done more nine hole courses than I want to admit, I do not think I have even had more than 60 acres to get 3500 yards.
Should be very easy.  
Times flys and your the pilot !

redanman

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 05:15:44 PM »
If no restrictions on any part of the land or any awkwardness to the piece, I would think not.  

A committee at our club tried to tell us ("No possible forseeable use for 62 acres") that we could not have 9 holes on 60 acres while trying to sell us a white elephant clubhouse expansion (so sell the land, can't do anything else!).  Bollocks!  

With sterling examples such as Merion, Wanamoissett and Metacomet all under 100 acres and 18 holes each, I think 60 for 9 holes with the above caveats should be very doable.

For example, given Lehigh's 60 acres I drew out 9 holes of 3500+ yards with comfortable separation (sans trees) to route a Redan, Bottle, Long, Eden, Sahara, Double Plateau, Road, Knoll and (I forget :-\ the 9th off-hand ) no problem (all with appropriate width).

Keep us posted, Mark.

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 06:40:29 PM »
I currently maintain an 18 hole track that has 52 acres under irrigation.

Steve

Brock Peyer

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »
What is the name of the course where the Shark shootout has been?  Isn't it on about 92 acres?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back