News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Doyle

If I mention a course in Ireland ......
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:23 AM »
..... can I entice Aidan Bradley to keep posting his gorgeous pictures?  Let's try.

Ballybunion Old

mike_malone

Re:If I mention a course in Ireland ......
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »
 Right over my computer is my photo of #11.

But I do love Aidan's photos
AKA Mayday

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »
Andy, you are such a tease. These images are not my best. Shot them about ten years ago. Ballybunion is on my list for this Summers trip.

Aidan.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »
Aidan,

Do you always feel holes are more beautiful from angles never played..

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »
Aidan,

I seem to remember in a previous post you had a picture of Enniscrone. I absolutely loved that course and can't believe it's not more highly rated. Do you have any more pics?

Ed

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:17:34 PM »
John........I am not sure about your game, but I hit the ball in some very strange places.

Ed.....Links magazine is doing a feature on Enniscrone next month. You can see all my Enniscrone images at in the Ireland section at...                          

http://www.golfcoursephotography.com

Aidan.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:22:35 PM »
Aidan as you always seem to get blue skies can you please share the dates of your Irish loop ;D?

I've just bumped Rans picture of the 17 at Roses Point as my screensaver for the one you posted last week.  Thats what the weather was for my round there and the memories it brings back are perfect.  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 01:24:55 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 12:36:02 PM »
Tony.......I hope Ran won't bump me now. Re., sunshine, patience and good fortune. Two years ago I was commissioned to photograph Carton House. I spent 10 days at the Glenroyal hotel nearby waiting for good weather. Every bartender in Manooth knew me by my first name and they ran out of Bushmills.

A couple of years ago I spent 5 weeks at home with the lofty goal of shooting 15 courses... I got 6. It makes no difference when you go to Ireland, blue skies are a gift from above. If you want blue skies go to Florida or California. If you would prefer great soup, fire places and interesting conversation, you know where to go. The golf is not bad either.

Aidan.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 01:23:58 PM »
Thanks, Aidan!

I was also wondering how your pictures are shot in such beautiful weather.  Luck o' the Irish - or a lot of hard work and waiting?  I suspected the latter.  It's a shame to have to put in so much pub time waiting for the perfect shot.

I got my first taste of golf in Ireland November of 2004 - Lahinch, Waterville, and The European Club.  I'm obsessed with going back - your photos help keep the dream alive.

Thanks for sharing.

Andy

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 02:09:28 PM »
Aiden,

Beautiful pictures, thank you.  I noticed on your website that your portfolio does not include Pennsylvania.  Are you planning on visiting sometime?  It would be a pleasure to go with you to some of the famous and not so famous great courses in the Philadelphia area.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 02:30:27 PM »
Andy.........sometimes waiting out the weather is worth it. Below are a few of my favorites from the last two years.

Wayne.....if you can persuade some of the famous and not so famous courses in Philadelphia to hire me to shoot their property, I will have a Guiness truck delivered to your home tomorrow.

Portmarnock #12

Old Head #16

European Club #17

Rosapenna/Old Tom Morris

Portstewart #2

Carton House/Montgomery #4

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
Aidan,

I'll show them your photos, that should be convincing enough.  I hope you won't have to rely on my powers of persuasion  ;)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 02:40:33 PM »
Sean,

The event was the Nissan Irish Open played in miserable weather. European Golf Design collaberated with Colin Montgomery and Mark O Meara was the designer of record on the second course. Not sure if he had a helping hand from EGD. The Montgomery will host the Irish Open again this year.

Aidan.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 03:01:13 PM »
Aidan

In your pictures of Carne, there were clear skies. I thought you must have either some kind of weather ray or photoshop. Anyway, the results were beautiful.

Do you ever get to play these courses?

John Marr(inan)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 03:17:34 PM »
Jack,

I have a very simple rule, only shoot when the sun comes out, hence the clear skies!!!!!! With regards playing the courses I photograph, yes it's mandatory, it's called "terrain evaluation".

Aidan.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 05:53:07 PM »
Jack,

I have a very simple rule, only shoot when the sun comes out, hence the clear skies!!!!!! With regards playing the courses I photograph, yes it's mandatory, it's called "terrain evaluation".

Aidan.
And it's tax deductible! :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
If you mention a woman in Ireland, I think of an image of Maureen O'hara.

If you mention a course in Ireland, I think of an image taken by Aidan.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »
Great photos Aidan.

What's that fence supposed to be doing at Old Head? Sea spray?

Andy Doyle

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 07:45:01 PM »
Yes, doesn't that fence spoil the view?

AD

Sean Walsh

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 10:27:21 PM »
Aidan,

Great photos, of a quality that I would say puts you in the class of David Scaletti.  

Now can you delay your Ballybunion trip until the Spring of 07  ;D.  I'd love to accompany you.  See how a great photographer works.  Although I am purely a novice I did manage a few nice shots with a 5 meg digital while I was in Ireland in 03.

Keep them coming.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:29:04 PM by Sean Walsh »

ForkaB

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 06:05:11 AM »
Aidan,

Do you always feel holes are more beautiful from angles never played..

John

You make a very good point.  For some reason, photography of golf courses seems to be most attractive to the human eye when taken from a perspective that the golfer would never see whilst playing the round.  Similarly, I have yet to see any photograph which captures the absolute awe and sense of vertigo of standing on the cliff overlooking the 8th green at Pebble beach, nor even the feelings of beauty and despair that accompany trying to get up and down from the right of the 6th at Dornoch.  Or, even the most mundane of shots, such as approach to the 18th at the Old Course.

Aidan

You are extraordinarily skilled at your profession.  Are such shots as I described above possible?  If not, why not?  If so, why are they never published?  Are there technical reasons, or is it just (a lack of) market demand?

Thanks

Rich

Peter Galea

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 08:44:56 AM »
Aidan,

I know "it's not the paintbrush, but the painter" (especially in your case), but I have to ask, what formats do you shoot?

Pete
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 08:45:30 AM by Pete Galea »
"chief sherpa"

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 10:38:26 AM »
Similarly, I have yet to see any photograph which captures the absolute awe and sense of vertigo of standing on the cliff overlooking the 8th green at Pebble beach

YES!!!!!!!!!!
Awhile back I cited this sense of vertigo on 8 Pebble in my discussion of peripheral visuals and feelings mattering in an assessment of a golf hole, and Mucci mocked me.  I am VERY heartened to read it's not just me that feels that way standing atop that cliff.  Of course I knew it was the case, but still it was nice to read.

Aidan - I have the same questions as Rich and John about photos also... that has struck me many times before, as I see a cool photo and think "sure that's great, but that's not how its played".  Your take on this would be invaluable.  It has always puzzled me.

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 11:08:27 AM »
I am so touched by the photographs posted here. I wonderful hour has just been spent day dreaming of my next trip to Ireland. Thank you Aidan.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 11:46:20 AM »
Sean.........I am sure David Scaletti will be thrilled to hear you mention his name in the same company as mine.....Irish humour!!!!!

Pete.......6x7 also known as 2 1/4 by 2 3/4.

Tiger.....thank you for the kind words.

Rich,John,& Tom.......let me see if I can address your query, what position to take the photograph from? I feel my job is to create an image that is arresting enough to stop the viewer long enough to ask "where is that course" or to read the accompanying copy. If I can take a photograph from the tee box that is visually attractive enough and tells the story of that hole,I will do so. Conversely, I will shoot from behind the green so the viewer can see from whence he/she as come.

For the most part the enjoyment of the image should be the journey. The journey of from where you are, to the flag. After all, the flag is the ultimate destination. If on that journey there is some visual stimulation, then I feel I have succeeded.

You can plonk your tripod down on the 150 yard marker and take a photograph but chances are the lower half of the image will be all grass......a waste of space. I try to create an image that has depth as opposed to unidementional and flat. There should be layers in the image, each one to be enjoyed along that journey. I realize that this is not always possible but in my humble opinion and approach, it should be the goal.

You can take pictures from places on the hole where most of us would like to be, but to me, for the most part, that is merely documentation, which in it's place is fine. However, my clients expect me to create images that, along with the appropriate copy, will sell the course to the viewer, hence my angle of attack.

Hope I answered part if not all of  your question

Aidan.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back