News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: ASGCA meeting in Tulsa this weekend
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Paul,
He's a bigger sucker for these threads than myself ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

paul cowley

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
Cheers!  :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Young

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »

DMoriarty

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »
Sean, Bill, et al.  My views are my own and I am not responsible for the views expressed by Joel or anyone else.   As for my two posts, I don't think I have said anything rude, derogatory, or insulting to or about Jeff or his organization.  Jeff raised some issues in his post this morning that caught my attention, and so I responded.  If he wasn't interested in a conversation about his post, he probably should have kept it to himself.

And Bill, I don't think Jeff "should be expected to defend a membership of 160 diverse, highly competitive individuals" either, and that is kind of my point. I don't think that the SCGCA can defend them or speak for them either, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Yet it seems to me to be what the SCGCA is trying to do.  And if an organization makes representations about the conduct of its members, then those representations are bound to be called into question if a member's conduct doesn't seem to live up to those representations.

Jeff I appreciate your response to my apparently horrific and insulting questions.  I don't consider myself "hardcore anti-ASGCA" but was just trying to understand your comments this morning, and your post helped clarify at least some of it, so thanks for that.

My example was actually your example, I think. I used you and Ross because you had used you and Ross, but let's set you and Ross aside and focus on something more close to reality.  To me, it doesn't seem so far fetched that an architect would exaggerate his knowledge or expertise regarding a certain type of project to get a job, or to promote himself after doing the job.  You mentioned that no one had come up with any real world examples of such a thing, but I had one in mind when I asked the questions in the first place.  I doubt you want me to name names, so I will just say that, to my mind, my example involves an ASGCA architect trying to pass off his work as sympathetic restoration work when it is nothing of the sort, and then continuing to try and trade on the good name of the original architect after the work is finished.

To my mind that sort of behavior really ought to fall directly under those sections of the Ethics Code prohibiting dishonesty, fraud, deceit, and misrepresentation in securing or executing work, and prohibiting architects from promoting themselves or their services with false, exaggerated or misleading information and publicity.  Yet what are the odds that the ASGCA would censor an architect who was passing off his work as restoration work when few if any reasonable and knowledgeable observers would consider it to be restoration work?  Would you consider that sort of situation within the ASGCA's purview?  From your response this morning, I'd have guessed no because it would be too subjective to determine, but from your most recent response I am not so sure.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:09:32 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

paul cowley

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
I'm telling you Jeff...plug your ears lest you hear the voices of the siren(s)...and then be lost.

Be strong...resist the sound!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Paul Cowley
Why haven't you lobbied for me?

Bill McBride and Sean - why hasn't Jeff answered Mike Young's concerns/questions?

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

BCowan

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »
Mike,

There is already a Mike Nuzzo Society, how many organizations does one need to be associated with? 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »
Paul and Mike,

Probably a sucker.  I have played statue for the pigeon that is gca.com so long, I tend to assume the role naturally.

David,

That said, it wasn't me that called you derogatory, I don't think.  You haven't been and if I implied that, sorry.  And that said, I have admitted that we have all heard a few select stories about architects, ASGCA and not, that are not all flattering in a very competitive business.

I guess ethics cases are like legal cases - really, every one is different.  And, as someone alluded, in ASGCA, stealing work in an unethical way by trashing other architects is a big no no.  Exaggerating your qualifications falsely can range from the little white lies to whoppers, and many push that line in the name of aggressive marketing, which has been with us forever.

Defining what is and is not a "pure restoration" "sympathetic restoration" or not a restoration at all is something we haven't defined, and thus it can't be a technical ethics violation, at least by our standards.

I do know what you mean.  I have seen members and non-members tout a restoration, up to and including imposing their more or less standard style on an old course.  To them, apparently restoration means bringing it back to some vibrancy, rather than any particular design style.  So, there isn't a universal meaning to the term in general, but participating here, I think there is a clearer consensus among us about what it mean and doesn't mean.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:28:45 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean_A

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:50 AM »
Bill McBride and Sean - why hasn't Jeff answered Mike Young's concerns/questions?

Cheers

Mike

As usual, Jeff has been unbelievably patient and gracious in this matter.

Not sure what you expect.  ASGCA is basically a club which has laid out standards like any club.  I don't know many clubs whose mandate is to solve the problems of the world. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mike_Young

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2014, 06:55:12 AM »
Paul Cowley
Why haven't you lobbied for me?

Cheers

I don't think I have asked any questions... :)  Ya'll give JB a break ( look how many members are lurking but don't say a thing....he at least is crazy enough to respond ;D)....the real fun would be to have those like JJ or a few others start commenting...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
Jeff,

What is the major difference between a qualified architect that doesn't get in the ASGCA and one that does?  That's where I'm confused, is there one?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
Jeff,

What is the major difference between a qualified architect that doesn't get in the ASGCA and one that does?  That's where I'm confused, is there one?

Yes, one is a member and one is not.

Dear Board,

I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Sincerely yours,

Groucho Marx.

paul cowley

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
Sam - a golf course designer/architect becomes 'qualified' based on his past experience and the courses he/she might have built and the acceptance of this work experience by the clients who are willing to pay for the design, and the people who willing to pay to play the courses...whew!

"A Golf Course Architect employs a wide variety of skills that he acquires over a life time of experience. It's not an occupation that is taught in college, but it does require a knowledge of Agronomy, Geology, Civil Engineering, Land Planning and Landscape Architecture. This knowledge...when combined with an artist's eye and a designers touch...allows for the creation of a natural arena and the ultimate outdoor play space...a golf course. It doesn't stop there though, as the building of a golf course is a major construction endeavor that requires the organizational skills of a project manager, and a field foreman's skills to put the various parts into a whole...all 18 of them."

I excerpted this from my website...but it's true, at least for me.

The ASGCA requires that an applicant who wants to become a member in their Society has to meet a set of requirements they created. If you do, you're in and qualified to call yourself a member. If you don't meet THEIR requirements, or don't give a dam about being a member, it doesn't mean for a second that your might or might not be qualified to call yourself a GC architect/designer (think T Doak).

Make sense?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:51:34 PM by paul cowley »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »
Thanks Paul!

paul cowley

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
Sam - con mucho gusto!

Mike_Young

« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »

The ASGCA requires that an applicant who wants to become a member in their Society has to meet a set of requirements they created. If you do, you're in and qualified to call yourself a member. If you don't meet THEIR requirements, or don't give a dam about being a member, it doesn't mean for a second that your might or might not be qualified to call yourself a GC architect/designer (think T Doak).

Make sense?

hmmmmm...I thought it required a vote of the board whether you met requirements or not??  Your way seems much simpler... ;D ;D

paul cowley

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:11 AM »
Mike...the Board intent is included in the word 'meet' followed by 'a set of requirements...' in the earlier sentence.  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:26:16 AM by paul cowley »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »

Make sense?

hmmmmm...I thought it required a vote of the board whether you met requirements or not??  Your way seems much simpler... ;D ;D

" I thought we were an autonomous collective."

"King, eh? Well, I didn't vote for you."

and last, but not least,

"Help, help, I'm bein' repressed!"

All from Monty Python and The Holy Grail
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
Perfect!

"I thought we were an autonomous collective".
"You're fooling yourself.  We're living in a dictatorship -- a self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes .."

Mike_Young

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
Mike...the Board intent is included in the word 'meet' followed by 'a set of requirements...' in the earlier sentence.  :)

Paul,
Definitely not shooting the messenger here, but to clarify for interested parties:  One may meet all of the requirements of the application process and still not voted in by the Board or one may not meet all written requirements and still be voted in by the board.   :)

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
Okay, I have read through this shit-toss from start to finish and still am unclear on why the ASGCA has barred Mike from membership.

Just a question for Jeff Brauer.

Mike is courtly, professional and extremely knowledgeable, but nobody wants to go to bat for him?

Why does Ron Forse - another talented architect - not have an ugly tartan jacket in his closet?

I understand why Tom D. has little interest at this point, but if a well-like guy has designed 30-plus courses with more to come, how can you justify keeping him out?

Seems a bit petty and even malicious from my set of spikes.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:30:39 PM by Gib Papazian »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
Gib,

I don't agree with the malicious characterization at all. 

There may have been a day when we could blackball an applicant, but we have worked hard to make it a fair process, by adding sponsors who know an applicant, reviewers who don't know them, getting references from clients, interview in front of the executive committee and a comment period by all members, with the board vote (usually following the memberships recommendations).  Most changes over the years were specifically intended to broaden our knowledge of candidates and minimize chances of improper acceptance or denial. But, as throughout this thread, I have noted "stuff can happen."  Still not perfect.

As to Ron Forse, he is a great architect and guy.  However, most members think (quite rightly) that routing new golf courses is an important part of being a golf course architect. Who could disagree?  So, our membership criteria reflect that, and Ron is disappointed in the process, having not done three new courses required. (last time I checked, which has been a while)  That may change some day.

Mike is disappointed, and as his sponsor in 2009, I am disappointed for him, having in fact, gone to bat for him.  He recalls his application process better than I do, although his post 55 sounds familiar.  I know applicants don't normally get much benefit of the doubt if there is uncertainty, and he sure didn't.  So, he withdrew the application and now takes the high road.

As to TD, we do require everyone to go through the same process.  If he doesn't want to take a chance on going through only to see possible rejection, we can't make him apply.  It seems every generation has had one or two hold out architects, so this is nothing new, even if sad to me.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DMoriarty

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »
As to TD, we do require everyone to go through the same process.  If he doesn't want to take a chance on going through only to see possible rejection, we can't make him apply.  It seems every generation has had one or two hold out architects, so this is nothing new, even if sad to me.

I hope your joking here, Jeff, both with the suggestion that Tom hasn't applied because he doesn't want to risk rejection, and with the suggestion that there is a possibility that he would be rejected.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike_Young

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »

I hope your joking here, Jeff, both with the suggestion that Tom hasn't applied because he doesn't want to risk rejection, and with the suggestion that there is a possibility that he would be rejected.
David,
First, Jeff is crazier than myself to continue to answer you guys questions...secondly, yes, TD could be rejected just as myself.  To be clear I never withdrew my application after being asked to do so.  In their minutes they had posted that the board decided not to let mine go to a vote because the membership committee did not approve it and it could end up embarrassing me and the ASGCA if it were brought forward for discussion.  I knew I had nothing to be embarrassed about so I requested it be allowed to go forward.  It was not and a member was nice enough to forward me the minutes where it is recorded or mentioned.  I had a bad interview because I was so pissed when I saw that the guys from my area that could not take the time to review one of my courses were in the room to ask the questions. Anyway...that's enough...Jeff has bent over backwards to answer questions he did not have to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back