News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SL_Solow

Re:The Greatest Game Ever Played
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »
Tom;  in response to your question, I was quite familiar with the history and I couldn't stomach the consistent inaccuracies intended to enhance a story that needed no enhancement.  If the author had suggested that he was trying to understand Ouimet's motivations or given some other basis for his inventions I might have been able to overcome some of my objections.  But he didn't.  Moreover I wasn't all that impressed with the writing and before I put it down, I thought the dramatic license was pretty obvious and didn't add to the story.  In short I thought the book was inaccurate, the writing pedestrian, and the plot devices less compelling than the reality that was ignored.  Beyond that, I liked it  a lot.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 02:25:55 PM »
SL - thanks - that was more or less Dan King's take also.

But can you understand someone who is NOT familiar with the facts beyond just who won and who played enjoying the story?

Because that person would have no reason to see dramatic license, nor any plot licenses being taken.

As for pedestrian writing, well hell man the whole world doesn't revolve around great literature.  I do love that and have likely too much of a background in it, my father being a teacher of it for 40+ years.  I just find a great worth for the trash novel.

So come on man, toss me a bone!

;D

SL_Solow

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »
 Huck,  No problem with escapist trash, but it should be well written if it wants to hold my interest.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »
Gotcha.

Man I have read a LOT of books written far more poorly than this one.

But my standards do have an exceedingly large range.

;D

Matt MacIver

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 02:57:17 PM »
is this site about gca or oprah's book club?  :D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 02:58:19 PM »
In this case, it's both!

What we need is for Dan King to interview Mark Frost.  This would give new meaning to the term "tearing a new ass."  Oprah?  Kid's stuff.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:58:35 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back