News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Hanse's Capstone Club
« on: January 20, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
Gotta day-trip to Birmingham on business and am tempted to side-step toward Tuscaloosa to see Gil Hanse's Capstone Club.  This will mean serious miles, a 15 hours day and no ribs at Dreamland.

Worthwhile?  (editorial: aren't they all?)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Hanse's Capstone Club
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »
http://www.capstoneclub.com/capstone.asp?id=241&page=5915

http://www.hansegolfdesign.com/images/Capstone/new_page_4.htm

Few have ever mentioned playing it.  Maybe this can bring
the few out of the woodwork to comment on it.

John Goodman

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »
I've played it twice and enjoyed it.  There were some conditioning problems, esp with the bunkers, when I was last there, but I've heard they've worked on that.  The course sits very well on the land to my eye, and there are a number of interesting holes, a blind tee shot or two, ground game options on some holes.  It's a lot of fun, and definitely the best track in the Tuscaloosa area.  I think there are better courses in the Bham area though (Limestone Springs, which I know you're familiar with Bogey).    

When are you going to be in Bham?  I'd like to meet you in person and maybe we could go play (either at Capstone or elsewhere).  

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:31:14 AM »
One of my partners is a member and loves Capstone. He tells me that it has had some financial difficulties. I don't know the specifics or how serious.

But he loves the design.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
Mike aka bogie occasionally par, birdie and double bogie, John has already spoke up but the guys I played with at Schoal Creek were University of Alabama and SEC official types and they noted the location relative to Tusc and Birmingham as reasons for membership and financial issues. They both liked the course well enough but felt its days are numbered in its current form. They noted conditioning issues as well.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »
I had mixed feelings about the place. The greens and routing were all top notch and the look of the course was really unique. The sheer number of bunker-condition issues made me wonder, however, if Hanse tried to do too much. The course must have been spectacluar when it first opened.

It is certainly worth the play, however, Mike, and I would love to hear your thoughts. A really neat combination of holes with some of the best par 3's on any course that I have seen.

You could also make the effort to see Ol'Colony, one of the best examples of a municipal course done right.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back