News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Keith Foster
« on: January 20, 2006, 12:36:18 PM »
Has anyone had experience with Keith Foster with a total renovation project?

Quality of his work, creativity, for a Florida project, not my club.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

TEPaul

Re:Keith Foster
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:40:45 PM »
I haven't but I had a nice phone conversation the other day with him about something else. Awful nice guy and informative. I'd heard that Coore and Crenshaw were very impressed with what he did on a Perry Maxwell (one of their real favorites) course. I believe it was Southern Hills.

Paul Payne

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 01:42:14 PM »
Yes, he reworked Southern Hills before the 2001 US Open. Seemed to get good reviews on his work from what I had read at the time but I don't know the details or how extensive the work was.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »
Don't know anything regarding his renovation work but he did The Harvester in Iowa and that course was awesome.  I played it this summer on an extensive trip out west and liked it better than courses like Wild Horse, Redlands Mesa, Lokota Canyon, Circling Raven, Quarry at Giants Ridge, Hawktree, Old Works, Links of North Dakota.

So if his renovation work is anything like is original work I'm sure its good.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:54:11 PM »
Keith was originally called in to repair some damage done to several of the greens from vandalism.  When they realized how much work it would require they decided to do a complete overhaul of the course.  In talking with Keith he told me that they tried to take the original design elements of the course and put them back into play for the 2001 US Open.  An example was the movement of the bunker on the 12th to its current location to be a hazard on the tee shot.  They also reworked several of the tees to be in the original locations for the members.  The work was well-received and was a good effort on the clubs part to try and update their design.  They also installed cartpaths throughout the course and colored them so they wouldn't stick out as much.  If they had only restored the 2nd hole and cut down about 1000 trees in the process it would have been great.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »
He is helping with Baltimore Country Club and is doing a great job IMHO.
Mr Hurricane

Paul Payne

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 02:02:51 PM »
Brian is right on, the Harvester is outstanding. We were discussing this on another thread about deserving courses which don't get any consideration for major events.

He also designed the Tennessian in Paris TN. It is another very solid course.

Tucker Davis

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »
I live in Memphis.  I have not played the Tennessean.  I have not heard a lot about it.  Is it really that good of a course?

Also, I have heard that Foster may be doing some restoration work in Memphis at Chickasaw Country Club.

Paul Payne

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »
Tucker,

I have played a few courses in TN and the Tennessian is one of the best IMO.

I liked it better than

River Island - Knoxville
Fox Chase - Knoxville
Harrison Bay - Chattanooga
Hermitage - Nashville
Stone House - Nashville
Tims Ford - Winchester
Stonehenge - Cumberland
Eagle (landing?) - Pigeon Forge

And probably a dozen other lesser courses I've played there. I would rank it roughly equivalent to Richland CC (private) in Nashville.  

Worth a trip to Paris probably.

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
Mr. Foster also did the upgrade to Colonial in 2000?  course never looked better IMO.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »
He did an excellent redesign at St. Louis's best secret, Meadowbrook CC. Good course that few talk about.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 03:22:08 PM »
and a good job at Shepard's Crook, a muni built on a landfill north of Chicago

the Quarry in San Antonio also has some good holes
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
I believe Keith designed Sunridge Canyon outside Scottsdale and Paradise Valley in Scottsdale.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 03:31:35 PM »
Oooooops!!!!! Paradise Valley was a rennovation.

Billsteele

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 03:34:31 PM »
He also did the renovation at Eastward Ho! It has been well received by those whom I have talked to.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »
Tucker,

Regarding the Tennessean--I don't think I would drive from Memphis up to see it.  When it opened, it was fantastic, but several years of losing money and neglect--well you know the rest of the story. Truly one of the worst maintained courses I've ever seen.

Last time I played there was summer of '04 and I was literally the only one on course.  I'm actually not even sure if it is open anymore.

Course has some fantastic holes and really wild greens--a real shame to see how quickly it has fallen.

SPDB

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 04:38:58 PM »
The work at Eastward Ho! is very good, and I was skeptical based on my lack of familiarity with him.

Paul Payne

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 08:55:59 PM »
Dale,

I am really sorry to hear the news of neglect out there. That is a shame. I used to consider that a real gem in TN but the last time I played there was in '02.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back