News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Ocala ( Davis Love, P.Cowley) in Flor.
« on: January 20, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »
I believe there are plans for a new 18 here. could someone
inform about terrain, routing, and holes of note. thanks

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Ocala ( Davis Love, P.Cowley) in Flor.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:22:06 AM »
from cybergolf.com

Golden Ocala Country Club, in Ocala, Fla., where the Love course will be an 18-hole addition to complement the club's original golf course, designed by Ron Garl. The high-end private course will be part of new residential development designed to be one of the top residential golf communities in the state of Florida. The land features rolling terrain and beautiful old oak hammocks that will naturally lend itself to a traditionally designed golf course. "The land around Ocala is just incredible; it's very different from what most people perceive Florida to be," said Davis Love III. "We are very excited to be working there, especially at Golden Ocala, because they have long set the standard in that area for quality golf, living and lifestyle. Our goal with the new golf course will be simply to keep raising the bar."
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 11:42:37 AM »
...said Davis Love III. "We are very excited to be working there, especially at Golden Ocala, because they have long set the standard in that area for quality golf, living and lifestyle.

Until about 3 years ago the place was a dump. The golf course was good, but it had been an abject failure as a real estate development.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 12:04:44 PM »
Is it me or does it seem like all new Florida courses say " the land is different from most of Florida"? Must be the new marketing pitch.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:05:02 PM by Sean Leary »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 12:30:11 PM »
Sean,
In this case he's not making it up. The terrain in that part of FL is rolling/hilly and has many pine trees. Makes it feel more like the Carolinas. Lot of sandy soil, too.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »
That part of the State has great land, but as I recall Golden Ocala, it is pretty flat.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »
John,
You could be right, I only drove in a little ways when I was heading over to Twisted Oaks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:48:37 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »
Whatever the quality of the land and/or development, Davis certainly has the script down. Does that stuff come on pre-printed pads?

Bob

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 04:38:26 PM »
Sean,
In this case he's not making it up. The terrain in that part of FL is rolling/hilly and has many pine trees. Makes it feel more like the Carolinas. Lot of sandy soil, too.

From
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=41577

Lake Wales Ridge is an ancient beach and sand dune system in central Florida approximately 100 miles long that stretches from Orange County to southern Highlands County. The ridge, ranging in width of 4 - 10 miles, was once a peninsula that existed when much of Florida was under the sea millions of years ago. The ridges scrub vegetation and wildlife is the remnant of this ancient ecosystem, and is found no where else in the world. Plants atop these ancient islands evolved uniquely with their isolated habitat.
Scientists estimate that before the arrival of European settlers, about 80,000 acres of ancient scrub existed along Lake Wales Ridge. Today, the ocean is more than 60 miles away and these islands of sand are surrounded by citrus groves and housing developments. An estimated 85% of the ridge has already been cleared for development.

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 04:50:43 PM »
I don't know that area at all, so I am sure that this is correct.  I just feel like I've read it a few times recently (maybe on the C and C course, and maybe a dye course).  No matter.

Just waiting on the new courses being built around here to establish this idea during their marketing, it will be that, "unlike the rest of Seattle, it never f'n rains on this golf course..."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 06:04:22 PM »
An estimated 85% of the (Lake Wales) ridge has already been cleared for development.- Mike Sweeney
That's an easy figure to believe. Back in '79 my wife and I went on a camping trip/delayed honeymoon through the central part of FL. We went up in the Citrus Tower on our way to or from Bok Gardens. You could barely see any stuctures for the orange groves. Now you can barely find an orange grove. I think a killing frost went through there and made the growers decide to give it up but the amount of development is staggering.
Same goes for N or S along the whole length of highway 27.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:05:32 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 08:25:36 PM »
...just noticed this...and I don't think there is much to be gained in response to the posts except to confirm that it is very good land and we are excited about the potential to create a really good course within a very successful residential development.....and that is not a lot of BS.
...and that there is about 80' of usable elevation change over the entire well-drained, sandy site.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:14:59 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark Brown

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 08:35:50 PM »
There is a massive sand ridge in the central and western area of Florida from Orlando up past Ocala and over to Black Diamond. Dye just did a course in the area -- Southern Highlands(?) I think and there's a good quirky Arthur Hilles course, Seville with a lot of exposed sand. They are rennovating the course now and it should be pretty good.

This area of Florida (The Nature Coast) is the last major area of Florida to be developed. It has a lot of great oak trees also.
The Gulf Coast here is protected with no development right on the water.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 09:24:44 PM »
Love & Co. are working on that I-75 corridor.  I've stopped by Kinderlou in Valdosta & really enjoyed it.  Can't wait to have another place right off the interstate to stop on my occasional drives to Orlando.

On my annual March trip I was thinking about stopping at El Diablo on my way down.  Anybody played it?  What do you think - worth the detour off the interstate?

Andy

Bill Weber

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 05:31:48 AM »
El Diablo is well worth the stop as are many in that area. Just ignore the conditioning and enjoy the layout.
Seville was described as Arthur Hills masterpiece in "Driving The Green". Just try to go after the frost season.

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 06:31:46 AM »
Mark...back to your original question,... I've described the terrain generally....the routing is still going thru some changes as it relates to the real estate component and the size of the required dry retention areas or 'DRA's'...we hope to start construction sometime this summer.

It's a very good site and budjet.....and the finished product might be a strong challenge to Matt Ward's Florida is Flat theory ;).
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Andy Doyle

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »
El Diablo is well worth the stop as are many in that area. Just ignore the conditioning and enjoy the layout.
Seville was described as Arthur Hills masterpiece in "Driving The Green". Just try to go after the frost season.

Thanks, Bill.

Andy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back