News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

Good news for hickory afficionados
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
Construction is underway for a 9-hole "hickory style" golf course at Hill of Tarvit, Cupar, Fife.  It is being designed by Peter McEvoy who graced our GCA outing at Painswick in 2004.  It will be based on the site of an NLE course (Kingarroch), and the "clubhouse" will be the Hill of Tarvit Mansion House.  Hickory clubs and old balls will be available for rent/hire.  The venture is being sponsored by the National Trust for Scotland.

This is a summary of an article in the current issue of "Bunkered" magazine.

wsmorrison

Re:Good news for hickory afficionados
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 02:54:22 PM »
Rich,

I'm heading over to Scotland in June of next year.  Any idea when the course is scheduled to open?  That would be a blast for my oldest son and I to go around nine holes with hickories after playing TOC one of the days we'll be in St. Andrews.  Thanks for the look!

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
Wayne

I have no idea.  The article doesn't say, but I'd guess it would be ready by June.  Try googling some key words.

Let me know where and when you'll be in Fife.  Maybe we can have a beer and swap Tom Paul stories.....

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:07:57 PM »
I will try to give you more time than when I was last in Dornoch.  I do look forward to getting together this year.  I've already have my oldest son thinking about a year abroad in college although he's only 15.  Gotta try and get him into University of St. Andrews and spend an extended time in Fife while he's over there.

Mark Studer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 05:08:31 PM »
Rich and Wayne- Another fun place to play with the hickories(we did it 2 years ago) is the Musselburgh Links course inside the racetrack in East Lothian.  You can rent hickories locally and they sell gutty reproduction balls at the pro shop. Make sure you slip through the opening in the stone wall behind the 4th green for a local beverage . It is the perfect compliment to playing at Gullane, North Berwick, or Muirfield the same day(Muirfield ,if you cannot do the lunch and second round the same day)
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 05:24:50 PM »
Its been a long time since I've been to East Lothian.  That's just the ticket to get me back.  I'd love to play that oldie at Musselburgh with hickories and that goodie at North Berwick with my regular clubs.  Can't beat staying at Greywalls either.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:38:14 PM »
Wayne
If the house sells, Bobbie and I plan a trip to Dornoch.  Dave Tepper has a house there with plenty of rooms.  My Willie Dow hickorys will have to play Musselburgh, and catch up on the Parks of Musselburgh.  I'm reading a collection of pages I have from a book so titled.  Those guys sure had a great time of it !

ForkaB

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 06:02:58 PM »
Willie

If you do get to Dornoch, let me know.  I was wondering where and when I could reciprocate for your kind hospitality of 5 years ago.

Rich

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 06:25:15 PM »
Bill,

Well, we'll spend some time in East Lothian and Fife and drive up to Dornoch and hook up with Rich.  On the way we'll see Mark Parsinen in Inverness.  Maybe we should stay overnight after playing Cruden Bay.  You bring your Willie Dows and I'll bring my Ben Hogans.

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 02:28:01 AM »
Wayne

You keep forgetting that I do not live in Dornoch! ::)  Getting to Dornoch in June would be difficult for me.  Hope to see you in Fife.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back