News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re:Blaketree National - Montgomery,TX
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »
I thought I would bump this thread back up to the top after my visit on Sunday.  Conditioning at Blaketree has greatly improved since my last play 6 months ago, but they still have work to do.  The course was crowded on a beautiful Sunday in January and you could tell that the increased play has the staff excited about the future.  The story of Coore/Crenshaw's involvement is discussed in detail above so I am going to jump straight into some photos of the course.

Starting with the four par 3's...

Hole #2 - 176/163/139 (championship/middle/front)

The second hole plays further uphill than the photo indicates.  It has the qualities of a solid reverse redan.  A miss left leaves a difficult chip to a green running away.  Short right puts the golfer in a deep fronting bunker.  Like many of the holes to come the green would be nearly unplayable if green speeds were at even a medium pace.

Hole #7 - 175/161/126

At the seventh the golfer is challenged by a green that although well bunkered that is fairly receptive from its back to front slope.  In my mind this may be the weakest of the par 3's although it has the best bunkers.

Hole #10 196/176/80

The drop shot tenth (as pictured earlier in the thread) is an exciting hole to play after making the turn.  Any ball that drifts right of target will end up wet.  The green is severly sloped and as mentioned before if rolling at any speed it would be near unplayable.  I couldn't find too many hole locations that could be used (although a back right pin would be not only fair but extraordinary as balls would slope that way from the safe side of the hole and anything pushed would be gone.

Hole #13 207/181/120

While not as visually stimulating the final par three is a great one.  It plays uphill the entire way to a green that crests in the middle and slopes away from the player off the back.  A back pin location demands a ball that is brought in low and running to use the central slope to stop the ball.  Along with being uphill the ground short of the green all slopes from right to left which moves your eye to the deep fall off left of the green that will catch a shot missed to that side.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Next up are the three par 5's...

Hole #8 - 542/506/442

The first and only par five on the front side is at the eighth.  The tee shot is reasonably open, yet well framed.  

The preferred drive down the right side of the fairway allows for a go at the green from the best angle...

From here the green is within reach.  There is plenty of room to bail out right, but trouble is close with the pond on the left.  The distinguishing feature of this green is it's extreme length from front to back that leaves a tough two putt if the approach is left in the wrong section.

Hole #16 - 517/501/417

This hole is almost painful to play as the potential for what could have been done here is great.  The tee shot demands a long and straight drive to stay between the trees and reach the top of the hill.  All balls will funnel from left to right once hitting the ground.

From the top of the hill the green may be reached, but anything short will likely fall victim to the 'wall'.

Looking back from behind the green it is hard to believe that you are playing golf near Houston where anything but flat is the exception.

Hole #18 - 657/559/441

The final hole is long, long, long.  The tee shot must stay left to avoid the sprawling, deep fairway bunkers on the right.

The second shot is long, with little trouble until near the green.

The player that lays up must avoid the deep bunkers on the left with their third.  The green will accept a shot coming in on the ground, but it must stay right to be successful.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Kyle. This is a really fun track and a great change of pace from the usual pancake style routings in Houston.

If they flew a shuttle up there from Hobby, I might play there more than a few times a year. 8)  
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:19 PM »
I won't add much to what Kyle had to say other than that day we won our four-ball 7&5. Kyle is all to modest to mention that, of course if I was as good as him I'd be shouting from the rooftops.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »
Those homeboys from Champions can get their golf on.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »

Sam is a pretty strong player himself  ;).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:03:41 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »

Sam is a pretty strong player himself  ;).
I'm your average 10 handicap.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
Now the early par 4's...

Hole #1 444/419/302

Blaketree grabs your attention right away with the difficult first.  A good opening tee shot is necessary to avoid a long second into the first green.  There is room left, but plays to the safe side must be precise to avoid the waiting fairway bunker.

From the middle of the fairway an uphill approach awaits.  Large, deep bunkers await any shot that falls short of target.

Hole #3 458/398/272

On the tee at the third the only goal is to place your tee ball somewhere between the short and long fairway bunkers.

From the fairway a great approach awaits.  The shot must navigate its way between the guarding bunkers to a green that falls away at the back.  As with many of the approaches at Blaketree a shot reaching the green along the ground may be the preferred play.

Hole #4 458/391/325

The fourth is a fun par four that I prefer from the shorter set of tees.  From the back you blast away up the right side of the fairway.

From the next set up you are able to decide how much of the water you want to bite off and go for it.

From the fairway the approach must stay right to stay dry, but also remain inside the guarding front right bunker.

Hole #5 417/365/321

The second half of great back-to-back par fours comes at the fifth.  The tee shot is wide open, but this is a second shot hole.

From the fairway a downhill approach to a green that slopes heavily from front to back makes it hard to hold the second shot on the green.  Guarded by a creek and closely mown chipping areas the green itself provides the challenge on this hole.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
The middle par 4's...

Hole #6 449/401/278

Probably the weakest hole on the front nine, the sixth, is straight away up the hill.

From the fairway you continue uphill to a deep green sloping from back to front.

Hole #9 - 483/428/396

From one of the weakest par 4's to one of the strongest.  The ninth is a great hole from tee to green.  The tee shot is blind with the goal of going straight ahead over the crest of the hill.

From the fairway a challenging downhill shot remains with water lurking on the right and short.  Everything from the right side of the green kicks down to the left.  Playing for this bounce is the only prudent way to attack a right side hole location.

Looking at the hole from behind you can see the movement of the green and the trouble that waits for any ball not well struck.

Hole #11 353/342/302

A strong right to left dogleg, the eleventh, demands the golfer to work the ball of the tee or lay back for a long approach to the green.

From the sloping fairway a difficult shot remains over the guarding bunkers to a green that slopes away.  The safe play here is to take an extra club and chip back to the hole from behind the green.

Hole #12 491/410/302

Another of the most exciting holes at Blaketree.  The twelfth, like the ninth, is another blind tee shot over the crest of the hill to a narrowing fairway.  The more the player challenges the width of the hole with distance, the greater their reward will be from the ensuing downhill bounce.

The tee shot can leave the player anywhere from 200+ yards to the hole to as little as 100 depending on how far they carried the ball and the bounce they received.  The long slender green is again guarded by water on the right and a backstop to the left.  A bail out area short left is also provided for a safe play.

From the green looking back one can get a feel for the elevation change on the twelfth.

CHrisB

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 02:58:39 PM »
Kyle,
I played Blaketree for the first time over the holidays. I too enjoyed it--nice piece of land and a secluded far-from-the-city feel. Conditioning was fine and the course was easy to get around (walked 18 in under 2 1/2 hrs).

I liked how the 1st and 10th tees were right by the clubhouse area, and that the driving range was almost an afterthought (like in a lot of older designs).

Good routing, a pleasant walk, an interesting set of greens (several fallaways like the Crenshaw Cliffside course at Barton Creek), and some very good holes. Bunker shaping was rudimentary however. My favorite holes were #4-6, #9-10, and #16 despite the wood retaining wall below the green.

I thought #9 and #12 were a little too similar, although the green on #12 is so much different (strange to have a green that narrow with trouble so close on a 491-yard par 4). #9 may have originally been a par 5 with the tee behind the water inlet--a large area for a tee (or two) sits there right behind the 8th green. I also thought the water on the inside of the dogleg 17th was a little awkward.

But overall I was impressed and found it a good value. Thanks for the pics.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 03:12:26 PM »
The final par 4's...

Hole #14 - 398/371/250

An average dogleg left to right with a forced carry off the tee, the fourteenth is one of the weaker holes on the course.

The green has a fair bit of undulation, but there isn't much else going on with the uphill second shot.

Hole #15 - 383/365/315

Another average par four, fifteen, requires a well struck, straight tee ball to stay in play.

From there a straight forward approach remains to a green tucked back against the trees.

Hole #17 392/369/243

This one is a head scratcher for me.  I can not imagine who thought this was a good idea.  From the tee the hole looks decent enough.  Play your drive straight away to get in position to hit your second.

After a well struck tee ball this second shot remained.  Blind from the tee there is a water hazard on the inside of the dogleg.  It must now be dealt with along with trees that stand in line with the green.  ???

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
Kyle,
I played Blaketree for the first time over the holidays. I too enjoyed it--nice piece of land and a secluded far-from-the-city feel. Conditioning was fine and the course was easy to get around (walked 18 in under 2 1/2 hrs).

I liked how the 1st and 10th tees were right by the clubhouse area, and that the driving range was almost an afterthought (like in a lot of older designs).

Good routing, a pleasant walk, an interesting set of greens (several fallaways like the Crenshaw Cliffside course at Barton Creek), and some very good holes. Bunker shaping was rudimentary however. My favorite holes were #4-6, #9-10, and #16 despite the wood retaining wall below the green.

I thought #9 and #12 were a little too similar, although the green on #12 is so much different (strange to have a green that narrow with trouble so close on a 491-yard par 4). #9 may have originally been a par 5 with the tee behind the water inlet--a large area for a tee (or two) sits there right behind the 8th green. I also thought the water on the inside of the dogleg 17th was a little awkward.

But overall I was impressed and found it a good value. Thanks for the pics.

Chris,

I agree with everything that you said here.  I can't say enough for the value as we teed off just after noon on Sunday and played for $30 (they have a stay and play package that provides lodging and unlimited golf for $125/night - and they also give you the option of taking golf carts out at night to shoot as many hogs as you can :P).

With a little time and care I think the course could be great.  I believe it is now under new ownership, so hopefully they are heading in the right direction.  I would love to see the bunkers redone to give them some character and make them fit in with the rest of the property.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 03:50:20 PM »
Kyle I agree that the last par 4's weren't very strong but overall a fun track. The hogs damage can be seen in the picture you took from 8 fairway. We will take advantage of the Stay and Play, what was that kind of hog you were telling me you really liked to hunt?

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
that hog thing freaks this city boy out :o
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »

Paul I know you have your heart set on Cypresswood Tradition in a few weeks but this wouldn't be a bad alternative.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »
I'm glad I didn't see any of those things roaming the property when I was there. I'm not country enough to handle that either.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 04:58:44 PM »
I'm glad I didn't see any of those things roaming the property when I was there. I'm not country enough to handle that either.

They are just hogs, I'm as city as it gets but they don't scare me, that's why we have guns.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »
I'm too clumsy for a gat, but as long as they're not boars, I think I could take one out with a 2 iron. Adds another element of interest to the tee ball on 8.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »
I'm too clumsy for a gat, but as long as they're not boars, I think I could take one out with a 2 iron. Adds another element of interest to the tee ball on 8.
I'd take more club.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »

It's definitely a golf package that I've never seen before.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 10:10:09 PM »

It's definitely a golf package that I've never seen before.

Aren't you glad to be in Texas?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 12:22:21 AM »
I think this is a great course to buy by the GCA guys. I love the place and find it to be a true hidden gem. Thanks for bringing it back into focus. cheers Tiger and Oh LSU National Champs again!!!!!!!

Steve Lang

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 03:03:41 AM »
 8) COngrats tiger.. this buckeye transplant is still in shock  :o :o :'(

Did you ever wear that Longhorns CAP in public?

Kyle,

You've gotten the essence of BN pretty well.. good job on the pics..

I'd note:

1) when the greens used to be rolling  fast, the 13-16 stretch of holes used to be very very fast.. for instance on 15 you had to land well in front of the green and roll it on and would often still have to putt back up the sloping green.

2) sale was completed, new director of golf

3) #8 was originally a very long par 4 (like 490!), #9 a par 5 (back tee just behind #9 green) . IN that configuration #8 was real bear, and #9 all about the approach and keeping it left of the hole (but out of the left bunker) to keep it on the green!  Its present configuration reverses things.. and definitely favors the better player..

4) #17 seems quirky, but really gets some folks (especially those who slice) thinking about the hidden pond right.. and with the guard trees on pond edge still there.. if you're short off tee.. that shot isn't as bad as it looks, when you need to win a hole and #18 is coming up!

Did you challenge those bunkers on 18?  Wouldn't think a Champions guy would travel to Magnolia and lay up!

p.s. Have you Played Walden on Lake Conroe?

p.s.s. Can't wait to see you on the tips at WCC Player course.. 151 slope puts it #3 in TX.. !
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 09:34:33 AM »
p.s. Have you Played Walden on Lake Conroe?

p.s.s. Can't wait to see you on the tips at WCC Player course.. 151 slope puts it #3 in TX.. !

Steve,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures.

I haven't played Walden yet, but it is on my short list of places around town that I would like to play.

I don't know that putting me back on those tips at WCC would be a good idea.  I can promise you it wouldn't be slow (as nothing I do on the course is), but I can't promise that it wouldn't be ugly.

p.s. 18 was my best hole of the day :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:35:20 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »
Kyle,

If you hit that green in two I am either quitting or getting a lesson.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back