News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Shortest walks between greens and tees
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
If you were to make a list of the world's courses with the shortest overall distance between the greens and the following tees, what courses would be on the list? Would any modern courses make the list?

You may have to specify the tee; for example, aren't The Old Course's regular tees practically right next to the previous greens? Nowadays there are quite a few hikes back to the championship tees but I'm pretty sure there is a forward set very close.

SPDB

Re:Shortest walks between greens and tees
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:12:19 AM »
Chris - You'd be hard pressed to find a course (in the US) with shorter overall walks between greens and tees than NGLA. It's part of what makes it such a transporting experience (no pun intended).

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:16:06 AM »
The poster child in Adelaide for this is Glenelg GC.  Every tee is no more than 20 metres from the preceding green (often less), except for #8 (perhaps 100 metres) and #17 (also about 100 metres).  All the rest, the green and tee are adjacent.  And #1 tee and #18 green are also adjacent to each other and the clubhouse.  #10 tee is about 130 metres from the clubhouse.

It also makes for a quicker round of golf.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:19:13 AM »
Mid Pines!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:20:08 AM »
Sucession in Beaufort, South Carolina some of the fringes just merge right into the next tee.

Lawrence

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:37:11 AM »
For great courses NGLA and PVGC are the closest I know of. The only one at PVGC that isn't that close is #11 to #12 and had Crump lived there's probably not much question he would've fixed that. That wasn't by routing accident either---a close green to tee connection was one of Crump's requirements.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 07:37:45 AM by TEPaul »

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:42:35 AM »
Coore & Crenshaw's Hidden Creek - the longest walk is from 9 to 10 and that is minimal.  Other than that you walk 15 paces to the next tee box.  One of the best walking courses in the world IMHO.  I'm sure some of you who attended this years event with Bill Coore will agree.

Ian

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 09:37:44 AM »
My own home course...the Dubuque Golf & Country Club has some of the shortest overall green-to-tee walks of any course I've ever played.  There is only one "long" walk where we have to backtrack from the 6th green to the 7th tee...about 100 yards...but other than that I'd say the average walk between holes is about 15-20 yards.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
Monterey Peninsula C.C., Dunes Course.

The only hole with a very short walk is across the Seventeen
Mile Drive is between the par 5 thirteenth and the par 3 fourteenth. The walk seems even shorter in anticipation of the shot across the rocks and water.

Bob

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 11:18:36 AM »
Lakewood shores gailes course...one tee is attached to the prior green!

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 11:27:12 AM »
 I don't know about shortest but both Hidden Creek (as mentioned) and Applebrook are new courses with this green to tee movement well designed.
AKA Mayday

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 11:33:21 AM »
I agree with Mayday on Applebrook.

Zack Kelly

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 12:37:14 PM »
I'd have to agree with Lawrence Secession has some of the shortest walks I've ever scene.
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 01:14:54 PM »
 :D ;) :)   (way too cold at he Jersey Shore)

Hey guys,

It comes to my immediate attention that in some ways the legal community has made this very difficult to do; or should I  say our litiginous society.

Designing or renovating today mandates that there has to be
a lot of room so as to stay out of trouble vis a vis errant shots. My guess is this ruins some great tee designs. As a case in point Merion West has one of the the greatest looking tee complexes that melds right into the preceding green. My guess is that anyone who does something this good would be at risk.

Maybe some legal eagles can chime in on this one.

thanks

john_stiles

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 01:30:14 PM »
Holston Hills in Knoxville, Tennessee has some very short green to tee distances as many of the pre-'cart' courses do.

It is nice to hear of and see some modern courses listed as well.

Secession also has no cart paths.

ChipOat

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 01:52:46 PM »
Would have thought all the candidates would be older, pre-cart layouts; glad to hear about Hidden Creek and Secession.

Would add Rockaway Hunting Club and Garden City Golf to the list.  Pebble Beach, too.

Come to think if it, an equally good thread would be, "Are there any pre-WWII courses that do NOT have short walks from green-to tee?".

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 04:20:58 PM »
" As a case in point Merion West has one of the the greatest looking tee complexes that melds right into the preceding green. My guess is that anyone who does something this good would be at risk.

Maybe some legal eagles can chime in on this one."

Archie:

That can still be done today. In the last five years Hanse did it at Applebrook and C&C at Friar's Head.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 06:06:12 PM »
As much as I am all for having short walks from green to tee I personally hate when the tee is TOO close to the preceeding green. I end up worried that I'm going to hit somebody who walks two feet off the green and stands there as if he's out of the way, and then when I'm on the tee I'm worried somebody is going to zing one over right at me!

It doesn't have to be a lot, but give the wild golfers among us a little room for error! :)

Gerry B

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 11:32:32 PM »
i love adjacent grees to the next tee and The Chicago Golf club is as good as it gets

Atlantic City is also void of long walks

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 12:13:38 AM »
Myopia and Essex County
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 04:40:34 AM »
This business of walks between greens and tees is one of my hangups.  I really dislike these unnecessary walks and think they detour greatly from a design because the rythm of the game is interrupted and I am lazy.  

The U of M course has only one walk of over 30ish yards.  That is from 9 to 10.  This walk may be 50 yards.  The more I think about this course the more I like it.  It is a shame Dr. Mac had to go and build across the pond.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 05:59:02 AM »
Tall Grass on Long Island by Gil Hanse has very short walks, and down on the bottom right corner, the 13th green and the 5th tee are connected with no break from the rough. It is hard to say that a course dug out of a flat potato field has an old school feel, but it does have old school features:

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 06:32:08 AM »
i love adjacent grees to the next tee and The Chicago Golf club is as good as it gets

Atlantic City is also void of long walks

13-14 ?  14-15 ?  15-16 ?
[/color]

archie_struthers

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
to TEPaul

Regarding short walks to tees ala Merion West.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just elucidating that many new age designers are likely to be scared to push the envelope because of legal issues regarding safety zones.

I'd be interested to hear Tom Doak, Jeff Moran, Kelly Moran et al comment as to this.

p.s. Have you been to Indian Creek since their last storm, Doug Fraser tells me you wouldn't believe how many great old trees were either lost or on the brink?

archie_struthers

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »
Sorry Jeff Brauer, my mind was way ahead of my typing!!!LOL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back