News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Tree Work at Rolling Green Golf Club (lots of pictures)
« on: January 16, 2006, 04:15:23 PM »
The new superintendent, Charles Carr, formerly of Radley Run hit the ground running since being hired in November.  His first efforts were concentrated on getting the greens started on a process back to an appropriate level of health and playability.  

Charlie and his crew are also working hard at continuing the previous efforts of removing the evergreens on the internal portion of the course.  Here are some before and after photos to show some of the results.  I expect great things from Charlie and the course should be highly regarded once the work is completed.

Hole 1:  Before

After:  The small tree on the right is gone

Hole 3:  Before

After:  All the evergreens behind the green and before 4 tee are gone

Hole 4:  Before

After:  Only the last 2 evergreens on the far right side of the green remain, 8 were taken down.  The tall evergreens you see behind the green are on the opposite side of 5 fairway and will be removed

Hole 5:  After:  The right side of the green is now visible

Hole 9:  After:  The evergreens between 9 and 11 and 9 and 12 are starting to come down, at last.

Hole 12:  Before

After:  The last 2 evergreens need to come out but 2 really offensive ones have been removed

Hole 15:  Before

After:

Hole 16:  Before

After:

mike_malone

Re:Tree Work at Rolling Green Golf Club (lots of pictures)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:24:45 PM »
 My! You work quickly Mr. Morrison !

I think it should be pointed out that much of the changes seen  come from a few years worth of work not just this past month.

It is obvious to me that you bring much value to Rolling Green as a member. This kind of affection for the course is appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 04:27:59 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »
Wayne,

The trees you mention between 9 and 12.  Does that include the ones blocking the view of the "not-supposed-to-be-but-is-now blind" bunker right of the fairway landing area on #9?

Wonder how many members will complain about the missing dogwood off the #15 tee...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 04:29:35 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »
Very impressive, guys. A great lesson for other clubs that you can take out a lot of trees and not denude the course.

Bob  

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »
Mike,

That's why I said he is continuing the previous efforts.

Scott,

You got it!  The large collection bunker will be in plain view and have its intended influence on the tee shot.

Bob,

Yes, you're absolutely right.  These photos don't do the work justice but you'll see for yourself in a few months.  By the way, did you like the UPS package?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »
I should have posted this the first time, the tee shot on #9, with no bunker in view:

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »
Mike & Wayne;

These pictures look great and congratulations on your work at the club in spearheading these efforts.  From the sounds of things on here, it must not have been an easy process.  

My one question pertains to the photo of "#9 After": what is the vantage point and in which direction on the course are you facing?  

Congratulations again--this is one golf course I really feel a need to see a second time!  (and shoot a respectable score)  ;)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

redanman

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
The picture of 15 is amazing.  Even sans leaves it looks
like a jungle.  I have always felt that that single hole
prevents Flynn from being considered a top-notch architect.  ;)

It does look better, but anything is an improvement
on that hole.  It should have been named "arboridae ad nauseum"
 8)

p.s. The rest of the work looks great.  Can you lend
him out to the numbskulls on the grounds committee at Lehigh CC?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:29:18 PM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

ChipOat

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »
Wayne:

I haven't seen RG in many years (too bad for me) so I confess I wasn't prepared for the course to be so choked w/trees as in the "Before" pictures.

To be honest, the "After" pix show some improvement but it still seems like it qualifies as a tree-lined course - albeit a very good one (if there is such a thing).

Think there's more to go after this or will the tree huggers prevail?

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
Doug,

The long 9th runs east to west.  This photo shows some of the 4 large evergreens taken down past the forward tee but looking back and towards the 11th green.

Bill V,

If the work can be done at Rolling Green, it can be done anywhere.   Some of the members of the green committee really get it and they've been working with the new superintendent to really rid the internal portions of the course from evergreens.  Of course having Gil Hanse, Ron Forse and Jim Nagle pointing out the need to get rid of the trees, the bad agronomics and the falling ranking of the golf course has all helped.  Maybe the course will rise to a proper place in the rankings...you know, about 30 spots above Lehigh  ;)

Chip,

You're right.  There are still far too many trees, but it is a great start to a new era.  The course is tree-lined in some areas where there was old growth groves.  The hardwoods that Flynn planted were all 40 yards or more off center.  The green committees over the years choked the course with evergreens and flowering trees.  It is this that needs reversing and I am glad to see it happening.  There's lots more to do, but there is hope that it will get done in time.  Of course, you'd like to see it happen all at once.  I think once the members see the results of this second phase of clearing (an earlier one dealt with trees around the greens after regrassing with A1 and A4), the work should continue.  I hope you get to see the course sometime this year.  I'd like to join you if schedules allow.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 05:58:24 PM »
Wayne:

Thanks for the pics.  It's nice to see even more trees have started to come down in the past few weeks.  Has the tree removal on 7 started yet?  If you spoke with Charlie Carr, did he mention a time frame for the other changes to 7?
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 06:07:50 PM »
Andy,

It seems as though on 7 the evergreen next to the oak at the top of the hill is going to be removed, there will be a few evergreens on the right of the first fairway removed, the cypress sticking out of the rocks is staying (I like that) and the 4 evergreens on the far fairway are going and the bunker going in but that has been delayed; probably because it was my idea (check your GCA message).  The work is going great, its hard not to want it all at once, but Charlie is the man to get things done!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 08:29:34 PM »
Looks good, guys. I'm anxious to play the course!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 09:02:32 PM »
I think the credit should go to Joe Hussey who was the previous green chair along with Warren Savini , our last super, and the present cmte ,chaired by Reese Crowe, in conjunction with Charlie.

When I was on the cmte. two years ago I had some input with Joe and last year Reese was kind enough to allow me to provide some to Warren.

Charlie has his own ideas and I just want to see them fully implemented.
AKA Mayday

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »
Wayne-

The progress looks great! I think evergreens get a bad rap
on golf courses (deservedly so in many cases.) They look like they contributed to a bit of a constricted feeling on a couple holes. Are most of the trees that were cut down at RG evergreens of some sort?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 09:20:54 PM by Craig_Rokke »

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »
The curious part of this whole effort is that there are JUST  12 evergreen trees (4 on #4,6 on#7, and 2 on #12)  that need to come down that are directly in lines of play. However, those who believe taking them out will make the course too easy are maintaining the status quo.

I understand and respect those members' concerns; they are afraid the course will decline in the mind of serious golfers if it is seen as too easy. We need to work with them to let them know we agree with their concern; we just want more creative challenges than evergreen trees that also are consistent with the strategic angles of play that Flynn designed into the course originally.

This process is ongoing and I have no doubt how it will end up.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 10:20:09 PM »
Wayne/Mayday;

Great stuff fellows...thanks for all of your hard work and dedication in helping to spearhead some of these wonderful changes.

I have to admit that I'm sitting here with a "woody", looking at these gorgeous and scintillating pics, pun fully intended.  ;)

BTW, if a "falling ranking" can lead to this type of dramatic and positive change, perhaps the ratings aren't such a bad thing after all!  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 10:26:33 PM »
btw, now that I'm on roll....

What's the story with #7?  Did that line of evergreens bit the dust...please, pretty please??

Did the bunker get added?  I have to admit that I'm the one who felt this was unnecessary, would not affect the good player in the least, but would only punish the average hack who hits a beauty up the right side hoping to chase it onto the green in two.  Given the demands of the next....oh, let's say 8 or 9 brutal holes, I felt that having 7 give the average player a shot at a birdie or eagle was hardly a criminal act, given two well played shots.  

Also, more trees need to go on 12...you know it, I know it, and so do Gil, Ron, Jim, etc.

The crack player should be able to take a shot at that green, at great risk.

Also, 15 needs considerably more work, even if it was originally cut from a forest by Flynn.

Finally, is Jim Coleman taking Xanax after these changes.  ;)

Sorry Jim, but if it can be done at Oakmont and make the course play even more challengingly and interestingly, it sure as hell can be done at Rolling Green.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 10:29:06 PM by Mike Cirba »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 06:36:03 AM »
Welsh eyes are smiling.  :)

wsmorrison

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 06:56:48 AM »
Joe,

I hope I'm around when you return to the area next time.  I was sorry to miss you and your sons.

Craig,

In the first phase, mostly hardwoods were cut down after a arborcom study.  The regrassing of the greens required many trees to come down to get air circulation and early sunlight.

This second phase is getting rid of some secondary tree lines (right on 15 for example), and are mostly evergreens.  All the stumps you see in the recent pictures are evergreens.  They should plant evergreens along the periphery to hide the encroaching homes but nowhere on the course itself.

Mike C,

I knew you'd be particularly pleased.  7 has not been done as yet, although many trees along the creek on the left of the first fairway have been removed.  Charlie Carr believes the evergreens on the right will be removed and the bunker put in.  When?  I'm not sure, probably not this winter, so after I am gone.  There's a lack of desire by the board to remove the last two unsightly and also strategically constraining firs on the right and short of 12 green.  I think eventually all the evergreens flanking the 9th fairway will be gone opening up vistas and air circulation. He's started and I think will complete according to advice given by Mark Studer.  Smart guy!

Mike Malone gives himself credit along with the Joe Hussey and Reese Crowe's committees along with superintendents Warren and Charlie.  He'd be remiss in not acknowledging the efforts of Dave Staebler who has spent hundreds of hours gathering photos and putting together an impressive study of the evolution of RGGC.  If you came to the golf and seminar at RGGC a few years ago, you have copies of the PowerPoint presentation he made.  He continues to work tirelessly along with the some on the committees and a few passionate members to see things done right.

mike_malone

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 07:07:25 AM »
Dave Staebler is THE MAN! I am remiss in not naming him. I thought he should have been "man of the year" the year he put together that cd. I can't imagine any club having a better collection of info on one cd.
AKA Mayday

SMay

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 07:54:08 AM »
Wayne,

The tree works looks great.  Hopefully mother nature will aid in your removal program.  Over at Manny's we have been busy with our removals but mother nature (no frozen ground) has slowed us a bit.  Give me a shout.

Scott May

wsmorrison

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »
I am very pleased with the second phase of the tree plans.  The first phase was more agronomic based on the regrassing of the greens.  These evergreens being removed in the second phase are more along the lines of play and in some cases result in anti-strategy.

Scott, I am looking forward to visiting and seeing the ongoing work.  I like the direction a number of courses in the district are moving in terms of tree management.  Maybe I can stop by on Friday if you're around.

Any "wind" damage lately?  These last few days have been perfect to come up with cause for some tree felling  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:06:22 AM by Wayne Morrison »

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 08:27:36 AM »
Wayne:

Those photos show a couple of things to me---that may be able to be used to take more out.

First, on some of those front nine holes it just shows that even taking some out one can hardly even notice much difference----eg meaning there were and still are way too many trees on that course in particular places.

Second, #15 and also #16 look very different and so much better. I'd take that photo of #15 and compare it to the hole in the leafy season to see what the difference in look is. I know it's asking a lot but what do you think the downside would be to taking most all the trees out from behind and around the back of #16? If it doesn't expose anything obnoxious looking in any direction that green and the entire surround might really be something to look at with its top profile not framed or muted by trees. I'd think it would sure help any surface agronomy problems you've had on that green for so long.

It's not just that RG has and had way to many trees for play, it's also that there're so many areas of that course that has such interesting topography that hasn't been exposed in decades. The photo of #15 and potentially #16 are just two great recent examples of exposing that great topography of many potential examples.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:30:38 AM by TEPaul »

SMay

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 08:34:35 AM »
Wayne

Mother nature has helped with a couple of our ugly willow trees around the creek area although I am hoping for some more help.  Friday works for me if you can free up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back