News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Summerell

Web Sites of Architectural Firms – What is Their Purpose
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:31:25 AM »
I would be interested hearing, from the architects that post on this site, the major benefits they have gained because of their web site. How important is a web site to gaining work & who is the web site aimed at ?

For those of us who aren’t golf course architects, what would we like to see on these web sites?

Joe Hancock

Re:Web Sites of Architectural Firms – What is Their Purpose
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:49:31 AM »
Andrew,

In the same context, I'd be interested in hearing what potential clients look for on an architects website:

Pictures
Philosophies
Budgets of previous projects
Etc.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:40:39 AM »
Andrew:

Good question, and I look forward to seeing the market research.

I assume that anyone who finds my web site already knows a little about me.  It exists to refer clients to more detail about our body of work and philosophy, and to keep others apprised of what we're up to.

Most of all, I want it to reflect how we are different than other firms, but that's always hard to do when other firms are looking at your web site!

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:58:48 AM »
In the elusive and under-researched field of marketing, the chief and most convincing reason to promote is because other competitors are already doing it and you might suffer by not.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:25:19 AM »
I would certainly back Brad's post.

Most hits on our website probably comes from ourselves and our own competitors....

Its seems you need to have a website, just because everyone else does.
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
In the elusive and under-researched field of marketing, the chief and most convincing reason to promote is because other competitors are already doing it and you might suffer by not.

Brad,

How do you explain Tom Fazio's lack of a website?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »
Andrew,

Ditto what Brad said.  

I do have more and more clients with the computer capabilities to simply download what were formerly brochure items.  Its also a handy place to put news releases and other publicity, which we formerly sent out as copies in the brochure packet.  If I were a new firm, like Ian Andrews, rather than spend boatloads on a professional brochure, I think I would spend it all on a web site.

In the early days, we were hestitant to put too many pix up, since downloads were too slow.  Now, I think anything goes.  
I don't put a lot of technical info on my website like budgets.  I think its more intended for a broad brush image maker.  I do put links to some of my writings up there.

Frankly, I really need to update and redesign my website.  The one thing that never changes is that if you are going to do something, you need to do it right, and I think I, and others, are guilty of not doing great websites.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »
Jeff,

What was the point of you profiling Beverly on your web site..

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »
At one point, I was going to profile courses I liked by classic architects.  I kind of dropped the ball on that one, though.  I actually like Wakonda even better!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »
In my opinion your profile of Beverly would do more for Ron P's work load than yours...that's what I didn't git..

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 10:35:24 AM »
At the time I posted that, I don't think Ron P had the MP work.  Like I say, the web site is just one more thing to worry about updating, and I will get my tech guys right on it.  I spent Friday deleting resumes and other out of date pub. items from our office server, so I will get around to it next week!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 10:58:38 AM »
You guys would be shocked to learn how little non GCA guys know about you. Everyone here in Florida is renovating their courses, and all the green committee members know are Fazio, Nicklaus, Dye, Hills. They think Jim Fazio is Tom Fazio. There is such total ignorance among these green committees that it is shocking.

Websites are your picture link to these guys if someone informed wants to recommend the lesser known. Even someone as well know as Tom Doak is not well known at all by these folks...and believe me, I know.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 11:12:28 AM »
Cary, you mean to suggest that GCA does not rule the universe? I'm sure some regulars here would be shocked to hear that.

This site represents a very narrow niche of preferences, in a distinct corner of the architecture world. Disproportionately influental in terms of its actual participation numbers, but a tiny slice nonetheless.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »
Cary,

Tom who? ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 11:17:21 AM »
I sort of use mine to keep from sending brochures and other mailings.  I also had an FTP site placed in my website which lets me upload drawings and other items that a contractor or client may need etc.
But the main viewers are usually just there for the picture of Charlie in the bathing suit contest.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Robin

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 01:34:48 PM »
Mr Doak - Did you get sick of updating your "Tom's Diary" under the Current Activities section of your website? Enjoyed following what you were up to.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 03:17:41 PM »
Mike:  I just get behind on it when I'm doing other stuff.  I do have a couple of new entries, I just have to get them posted.  But we're working on some other new stuff for the site so it will probably be a month before it's all there.

Cary:  I'm not the least bit shocked that lots of golfers don't know who I am.  Like Brad said, we're in a small niche, and south Florida renovations are not our niche.  Do you really think a better web site would change that?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »
Well since I'm likely the most recent launch I'll give you my view.

Brad said "In the elusive and under-researched field of marketing, the chief and most convincing reason to promote is because other competitors are already doing it and you might suffer by not."

While I agree with Brad, I think there is far more value.

It is the easiest place to direct clients, potential clients, and others interested to what you are doing. It theoretically should be crammed full of information and photos. Green's committee's have the opportunities to access for information to share with other members.

It is also a helpful place for the media to access if they need certain information (assuming its on the site).

Yannick said, "I would certainly back Brad's post. Most hits on our website probably comes from ourselves and our own competitors....

I assumed that the usefulness in attracting clients was nill, I certainly built mine to assemble information, not to market. Well, I can already say I was wrong with this assumption. I don't think this is a reliable way to get a client, but just tweaking somebody's interest can lead to an interesting phone call.

Jeff said, "I do have more and more clients with the computer capabilities to simply download what were formerly brochure items.  Its also a handy place to put news releases and other publicity, which we formerly sent out as copies in the brochure packet.  If I were a new firm, like Ian Andrews, rather than spend boatloads on a professional brochure, I think I would spend it all on a web site.

I'm doing what you suggested.

Computers are part of life for any person who can afford one. Thinking anything different simply shows your age. I know of no one that I deal with who does not have a computer and an email address.

I'm web based for all my information, because I'm operating on a shoestring budget. I built and posted my own site because I have no choice. I think the bulk printed brochure is the dinosaur, I publish what I need, one at a time. The other issue is how out of date everything a designer does six months out.

I thought I should have a web site, not because everyone else has one, but because it is another technological tool to get information out.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:00:34 PM by Ian Andrew »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 08:55:52 PM »
Tom:

No, a better website would not make you a household name in Florida, but a high profile community course in Florida done well, posted on your website would do wonders.

I don't think you need the work or the awful sites we have here. If I were an architect in your league, I'd only take on great sites.

But if you want the challenge, team up with WCI or someone like that, and get them to do a Cooore and Crenshaw Course and a Tom Doak course, in one 36 hole development.

I don't know if you're involved in Hilton Head, the Palmetto Dunes 4 course project, I heard you were.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 09:04:23 PM »
Coore and Crenshaw have combined with Landmar to build a master planned community course in Apopka. It should be interesting to see what they do with a housing tract course in Apopka.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 10:13:59 PM »
Intersting what the first Golf Course Architect is that shows up on a google search  for 'golf course architect'-- how about Raymond Hearn.

Our friend Mike Nuzzo seems to understand the 'game' pretty well and Kelly Blake Moran makes page 2. Tom and Jeff better get busy 'googlizing' their sites. Looks like the Renaissance site emphasizes design over architecture but it's still hard to find even with 'golf course design' as the keywords. Jeff - your site is hard to find even when I search with your last name. Probably a wasted opportunity for you guys that could be fixed just by changing some language on your home page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=golf+course+architect

I did find Tom has his own Wikipedia page -- that's pretty cool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Doak

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 10:17:52 PM »
I think it would be interesting on the dead architects society

http://www.deadarchitectssociety.org

to have sites created as if the GCA had done it. Any takers on this assignment...?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 10:20:58 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mark Brown

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 11:02:54 PM »
We're creating a website for Steve Smyers and it will include

1. The History of Golf Course Architecture: overview starting with Old Tom and finishing with Ross, Mackenzie, Tillinghast and Macdonald

2. Bio of Smyers -- golf related

3. His Desigh Philosophy
4. The purpose of various design features
5. The Master plan
6. Construction
7. Honors
8. A bunch of good photos

It is aimed at potential clients and also used to explain the design process to current clients.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 11:13:26 PM »
I think it would be interesting on the dead architects society

http://www.deadarchitectssociety.org

to have sites created as if the GCA had done it. Any takers on this assignment...?

Doesn't look like anyone of note has been elected in a while, Forrest
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 02:24:42 AM »
Do you architects get any sales from your websites?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back