News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

New Years Day Golf - on the FL Panhandle!
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:16:30 AM »
If anyone is down this way and wants to get in a New Years Day round, come join John "Tiger" Bernhardt, Mike Golden, and Panhandle Bill McBride at the new Windswept Dunes course in Freeport, Florida.  We have an 11:30 tee time next Sunday, New Years Day.

For location and other details, check out their website, www.windsweptdunes.com.

The course was built amidst large dunes on the north side of Choctahatchee Bay, north of Destin, south of I-10, by Doug O'Rourke, owner of Dozer Construction, a builder who has done a lot of work with Rick Smith in Michigan.  Sounds very interesting and is one hell of a long course from the tips - which will not be played on New Year's Day!

Send me an IM if interested.  

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:17:21 AM by Bill_McBride »

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:New Years Day Golf - on the FL Panhandle!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »
I guess I must chime in that anyone who would like to play that week in the Destin area, please email me for I am up for more than one round. I think I will tire after a few days of trying to repair Hurricane damage at Casa la Tiger in Navarre Beach. There is no better way to start the new year than playing golf and especially with good friends like Bill and Mike. Bill, I am glad Mike can make it. Oh Bill, what is the name of the new Norman course toward Panama City from Destin.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 03:52:05 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
John, that's Sharks Tooth.  Haven't played it.

Here's the website:  http://www.shark.com/gngcd/sharkstooth/

Brian Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 08:14:28 PM »
Guys:

My parents live in this area and I always enjoy the golf there.  Windswept Dunes looks great.  We will have to play next time I am there.  If you have a few days in the area, I recommend Kelly Plantation in Destin.  If you are familiar with the area you may have seen the fourth hole on the right hand side as you are coming over the Mid-Bay Bridge into Destin.  It is a nice Fred Couples design.  Not the toughest course in the world but usually in great shape and the staff is first class.  Also, not too far from there, about 25-30 miles east is a great Fazio course called Camp Creek. It was recently ranked by GolfWeek as the 8th best daily fee play course in Florida accoring to their site which is:

http://www.arvida.com/campcreek/index.asp

I have not played this yet,  (I am a new guy to this board so someone tell me if I should not be mentioning courses I haven't played) but my parents rave about it.

Enjoy!

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 08:42:08 PM »
Brian--

Your parents are right, Camp Creek is an excellent golf course.  Lots of exposed sand and some interesting greens.  It's gone private from what I understand, but is worth the effort if you can do it.  

You are also correct about Kelly Plantation, it's always in great condition and the people there could not be nicer.  From first glance, you would think the course is pretty vanilla.  But, some of the greens have some nice subtle internal contouring.  

Shark's Tooth has been talked about here before I believe, it's located in the Wild Heron community and is really private.  It's the one course that you don't want to miss the fairway as the woods are full of palmetto bushes.  There is one love/hate hole there, the par 5 sixth.  It's reachable in two by the long hitters, but is really tight after a forced carry in the layup zone for the short knocker.  Most of the people I've played with have not liked the hole, I think it's ok.  

I'll be interested to hear what the guys have to say about Windswept Dunes.  It's long, but didn't play long when I visited in March.  The course played really firm and fast, particularly the greens.  The course has big greens with sweeping contours.  I don't want to say much more as we played it in two and a half hours, but I think you'll like it.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 09:38:17 PM »
I too like Kelly Plantation. I am not as high on Camp Creek. It seemed to be a lost opportunty. Ok but not great.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 11:06:33 PM »
TigerB,

I'd agree that Camp Creek is a lost opportunity.  A stone's throw from the beach, yet significant elevation changes and no housing component.   A Top 100 modern site perhaps.

I walked it and understood at the end of the round why I was the only chump out there without a cart.  One would think the 4 holes isolated on the back nine would be stellar since they are a 400-500 yards round-trip hike, but they weren't worth the effort.  Cool green at the 16th though.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Keith Williams

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:00:35 AM »
Gentlemen,

I am glad to hear that some other GCAers are headed out to Windswept Dunes.  I played there last May and posted a quick review of the course.  I won't revisit my comments here, but I will say that I thought the course had some really great features and was a refreshing departure from what most of the area golf has to offer.  Windswept has a lot of very good holes and the stretch from 9-13 is especially interesting.

I look forward to a good post on the course from you guys so it can be discussed a little more here.

Keith.

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 09:20:45 AM »
Bill -

No to be outdone, it is 60 degrees and cloudless today in Atlanta. I am getting out this afternoon with any luck.

Bob

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 10:10:08 AM »
Thanks Keith, I too am looking forward to the round. Bob, thank goodness we are out of the way too cold for December weather. It was great here yesterday an will be in the 70's the rest of the week. I will be out hitting balls at lunch as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 11:20:46 AM »
Bob, if you were to leave Atlanta at about 5 a.m. New Year's Day (no partying the night before!), you could be at Windswept Dunes in time for our 11:30 tee time.  It's supposed to be 70 degrees New Year's Day!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 06:03:47 PM »
Bill do you have any desire to play Sharks Tooth on the 3rd of January?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 07:27:54 PM »
Not unless I stay down that way, and don't think that's possible.  When are we all going to dine in Pensacola?

Mike_Golden

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 09:41:41 PM »
Tiger, Panhandle Bill,

What about Scenic Hills GC (good but not incredible golf with outstanding Champion Bermuda greens) on January 3 followed by world class barbeque at Casa Golden?  We could send the women shopping while we hack it up.

I have a bottle of Schramsburg on ice for the occasion.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 10:18:44 PM »
We'll have to consult with the social chairpersons.  ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 11:59:16 PM »
lol seems the match moved west

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 08:34:16 AM »
Not so, El Tigre, still 11:30 New Years Day at the wonderfully named Windswept Dunes.  A guy from PCC will probably be the fourth, or else it's the skins game.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 10:47:27 AM »
Bill I meant the possible game on the 3rd. lol I am thrilled to start the new year playing golf with friends.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 09:41:43 PM »
We played Windswept Dunes today in 70 degree plus breezy weather, the occasional three club wind, two of us in shorts, no long sleeves.  NW Florida does have its occasional advantages!

For those keeping score, Team Bernhardt-McBride edged Team Golden-Herrmann 1 up.  ;D

The golf course unfortunately did not keep up.  There are a bunch of good holes, some central bunker features and gnarly waste bunkers with diagonal carries, but the impossibility of walking this to-be residential course knocked off a lot of points.  Possibly a Doak 5.  The individual holes were good but each green was separated from the next tee by as much as 500 yards.  When we mentioned walking to the golf shop staffer, he looked at us like we were crazy!  ::)

The designer is Doug O'Rourke of Dozer Construction.  From the details on the course website (www.windsweptdunes.com), he had done quite a bit of work in Michigan for Rick Smith and others in that area.

It was great to get out with the GCA lads on New Years Day.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 09:43:05 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back