News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Best Course Disclaimer
« on: January 02, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »
In looking through my Tobacco Road yardage book I nominate the following:

"Tobacco Road is not an overly long golf course, but it incorporates many other elements to test your game.  We highly recommend that you use the following handicap guide to determine the set of tees you play.  This will enhance your experience greatly.  

Yardage and Ratings

Marker Name  Par Slope Rating Yardage Recommendations

Ripper  71    150   73.2   6532      Men 5.0 and below
         Disc     71    141   70.8   6297      Men 5.1 to 14.0

Plow     71    131   68.6   5886     Men 14.1 to 22.0

Cultivator 71    115    66.41 5094    Men 22.1 and above"

I've listed only the Mens recommendations out of  laziness.

Note, I disqualify the disclaimer at the Black Course due to over exposure.

Garland Bayley

Re:Best Course Disclaimer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 12:11:38 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as a disclaimer, but I had noticed the following on the Hawktree website.

"Like many of the modern golf courses, Hawktree, has four teeing areas per hole. By allowing golfers to change teeing areas within an 18 hole round, we are able to create eight unique ways to play and enjoy the course.   The above chart  shows you how this works."

I was curious about the need until I noticed par 5 yardages from the tees I would play.
512 519 529 516 513
Stanley Thompson would not be pleased. He used to draw bar graphs of the yardages of his courses to verify variety in distance.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Goodman

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:25:38 PM »
Not sure there are disclaimers on the course or the card, but . . .  My vote would go for Beachwood GC or Straight Outta Compton.

The world's most dangerous golf courses
Emmaus, Pa. 20th March - Mens Health magazine of the US for April has listed its 10 most dangerous golf courses in the world.
•   Lost City Golf Course, Sun City, South Africa. The 13th green is fronted by a stone pit filled with crocodiles, some 15 feet long.
•   Elephant Hills Country Club, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. The fairways are sometimes marked by craters caused by mortar shells fired across the Zambezi River.
•   Compton Par 3 Golf Course, Compton, California. High calibre excitement - home to the Crisps versus Bloods, Ryder Cup style competition.
•   Machrie Hotel Golf Course, Islay, Scotland. On this old fashioned course virtually every drive and approach is blind, played over huge sand dunes.
•   Scholl Canyon Golf Course, Glendale, California. Built on a landfill site it ran into problems when golfers snagged clubs on buried tyres and methane gas rose up from the divot holes.
•   Pelham Bay and Split Rock Golf Course, Bronz, New York. Pelham's remote location makes it ideal for unfortunate souls. In a recent 10-year period, 13 bodies were said to have been found.
•   Singapore Island Country Club, Singapore. In the 1982 Singapore Open pro, Jim Stewart, encountered a 10 foot cobra. He killed it, only to watch in horror as another snake emerged from its mouth.
•   Beachwood Golf Course, Natal, South Africa. Mrs Mollie Whitaker successfully executed a bunker shot, but was then attacked by a monkey which leaped from the bush and tried to strangle her. An alert caddie dispatched the ape.
•   Plantation Golf and Country Club, Gretna, Louisiana. With 18 holes shoved into 61 acrea (less than half the norm) players must huddle against a protective fence while waiting their turn to play.
•   Lundin Links, Fife, Scotland. A most enjoyable links course near to St Andrews unless you happen to be Harold Wallace who got hit by a train when crossing over the track behind the 5th green.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 12:55:11 PM »
Garland,

Given the topography at Hawktree, it is fair to say that the three-shot holes do not play to the scorecard yardage, in fact only #14 would remotely resemble it. #5 plays progressively uphill, and the tee shot carries a diagonal hazard (the creek), enabling the hole to play a variety of distances. Both #7 and #10 are extremely downhill, and #18 is substantially uphill again.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the scorecard is not the best measure of yardage variety, the interaction between the topography and routing is much more accurate.

TK

Andy Doyle

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 01:08:27 PM »
Tyler,

Thanks for the info. In my trip to ND last year I had time to pick two of three and chose Bully Pulpit and The Links of ND. Next year (oops it is already this year) I hope to do all three.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:38:54 PM »
At Wolf Creek, they make you sign a golf cart liability disclaimer.

Worst Course Disclaimer:

At Muirfield, "Women and Dogs not allowed"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 02:55:56 PM »
Worst Course Disclaimer:

At Muirfield, "Women and Dogs not allowed"

Muirfield does not sound like it's for me, my three favorite things in life, in no particular order:

Women, golf and dogs!  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
John Goldman,

The Elephant Hills disclaimer is no longer around. There hasn't been gunfire there for over twenty years.

Cary,

I think politcal correctness has even reached Muirfield. Methinks the sign has been altered

Bob.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 03:16:28 PM »
My favorite is the sign you walk by as you're about to walk behind the Road Hole green:

DANGER

GOLF IN PROGRESS

Bill Weber

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 03:17:38 PM »
No preferred lies! We play golf here. Taconic
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 03:18:49 PM by bill weber »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 03:20:29 PM »
Tom D.,

You beat me to it! I love that sign.

If my memory serves me correctly, there's a similar one at Elie.
jeffmingay.com

Jim_Bick

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 05:04:20 PM »
Also at the Old Course, "No fouling" with a very explicit international type picture of a dog defecating with the red slash through it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back