News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sweeney

Re:Camargo CC Cincinnati, Ohio
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 12:09:11 PM »
Brad:

Anytime. Please let me know.

I understand that vH designed the original bunkers at Coldstream for Wilson but that he had not been back since. A Coldstrean member happened to meet vH in Florida and mentioned the bunker worked that was planned. vH offered to consult on a restoration to original specs, gratis. I think he's been there a couple of times now.

I don't think Ineed to tell you where I stand on the great debate on the relative merits of Cinci golf courses.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

RE Blanks

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »
Jim, Mr Plummer would know.  When I visited last year he rode a few holes with us.  He gave us a great tour of the place.  I now see why he is held in such regard.  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 12:24:09 PM »
Adam:

I have never really thought about Raynor deliberately trying to put two fairways close together, but it's true he did on several occasions:  the proximity of the ninth and eighteenth is a problem at Shoreacres, too.

At Camargo the tenth fairway was much wider to start with [as were most of the others] and did run much further over to the left.  In fact there is a little bunker on the left that we moved to the right so it would be somewhat in play ... originally that bunker was about twenty yards to the left of where it is today, and the fairways for #9 and #10 extended right over to it!  But, they don't want to mow that much fairway anymore.

It's interesting to hear the perspective of how exclusive Camargo is.  Pete Dye first sent me there in 1984 and they have always been just great to me and always let me go out and play if I've got time ... Mr. Plummer was responsible for that, he knew I'd love the course that much more once I played it a few times.

Evan:

You will be glad to know I once heard Pete Dye say that Camargo had the best set of par-3 holes in golf.  However, you'll also be interested that some of those hole locations they use for the qualifier were right at the edges of the greens the first time I saw the course ... we have extended most of the greens 10 or sometimes 15 feet to either side to get them back to their original size.

It's a cool course but like Chicago Golf, it's really not too hard unless they dry out the greens and use the toughest hole locations, and I think that's what the designers intended.

JLahrman

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 02:41:29 PM »
Tom Doak,

My guess is that the perception of exclusivity most likely is from the raters' viewpoints.  Whereas many clubs would love to have raters come play and move the course up the rankings, it's actually going to hurt your cause at Camargo.  If they care at all about such things, it's to not publicize the course through rankings.  Apart from that I don't think it's harder to get on than anyplace else.

John Pflum

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 05:03:28 PM »
Adam:

I had never heard that before but if anyone knows it would be Tom Doak, or the guy I consider Mr. Cnmargo, foremr head professional Dick Plummer. If I can find out I'll let you know.

I used to deliver the local community paper to Mr. Plummer many years ago.  I suppose I should have asked him for a job at the course.   :)
--
jvdp

JLahrman

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »
Adam:

I had never heard that before but if anyone knows it would be Tom Doak, or the guy I consider Mr. Cnmargo, foremr head professional Dick Plummer. If I can find out I'll let you know.

I used to deliver the local community paper to Mr. Plummer many years ago.  I suppose I should have asked him for a job at the course.   :)

I did work in the bag shop there for a couple of summers, Mr. P. was a great guy to work for.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 07:13:23 PM »
Jim and Tom D--

I'm getting my information from the Camargo Club Centennial book from 2000.  It's in the description of the 10th Hole.  When you are sitting in the lunch area on the tee side of the clubhouse, you can see an area to the left of the current tee that is flat and appears to be a tee.  I think Tom's description of the 10th fairway being very wide is similar to the original scenario at Yeamans Hall's #10 and 18.  I'm not sure which way is better, but it's interesting to think about.  

I couldn't agree with the assessment of Camargo being a great place.  The current pro, Gary Thullen, could not have been nicer to me during my visit and we talked at length after the round.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 07:56:47 PM by Adam_Messix »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back