News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Wachesaw Plantation - Was Mike Strantz involved?
« on: December 30, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »
This past week I was able to get out and play the Wachesaw Plantation Club (Tom Fazio, circa 1986) in Murrells Inlet, SC.

It was a very interesting course for the lowlands around Myrtle Beach and what I found particularly interesting was that it differed considerably from Tom Fazio's general style.  In the "Confidential Guide", Tom Doak gave it a "6" and called it basically as good as anything in the area, and I'd have to agree.

Many of the holes feature convex features that truly contrasted with a "framing" approach that Fazio is generally known for.  The course also featured a number of classically inspired holes such as the almost reverse redanish par three 17th, the tiny green on the par five 8th, the heavily contoured fairways (and general lack of parallel mounding) on most holes, the punchbowl green of the driveable 14th par four with the green obscured by Mae West mounding, the blind approaches resulting from being on the wrong part of the fairway, the artistic "waste areas" on a number of holes that featured almost Pete Dye-like shelving and fall offs, with large expanses of sand, and the greens which featured more in terms of overally slope than heavy internal contouring.

It had me wondering if perhaps Mike Strantz was involved?  I know he was working in the general area for Tom Fazio at that time and he later worked at the Legends for Larry Young before building Caledonia and True Blue.

Does anyone know if he was an associate onsite at Wachesaw Plantation Club?  In any case, the course is probably as strategically interesting as any I've seen from Tom Fazio and it's worth a visit.

A.G._Crockett

Re:Wachesaw Plantation - Was Mike Strantz involved?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 10:48:22 PM »
As detailed on the Strantz website, he did work at Wachesaw.

http://www.mikestrantzdesign.com/finalbio.html

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 10:48:49 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:57:49 PM »
A.G.,

Thanks for the info...

He was a true artist and I'm glad to have found more of his work, however inadvertedly and unexpectedly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 10:58:30 PM by Mike Cirba »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 10:15:36 AM »
Mike,

Glad to see you liked Wachesaw.  My previous employer financed this project for Olin Mills and I had the opportunity to play it several times in the late 80's.  

Thanks for pointing out the 14th.  One of my all-time favorite short par fours.  

Happy New Year.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »
Always interesting to me how the name affects the reputation.

No one has taken this course very seriously for almost 20 years since it opened, but now that someone has figured out that Mike Strantz was involved with it, it has a bit more cachet.

I didn't actually know who was involved, but I'm not surprised.  I think this was the first course where the Fazio group started intricately-shaped waste bunkers right at the foot of the tee and out to the start of the fairway ... a bit reminiscent of Pine Valley, even though they were doing so in order to generate a bunch of earth for fills without creating ponds in the process.  It's almost entirely cosmetic unless you have a case of the tops, but it beat the hell out of looking at a long flat expanse of bermuda grass, and they needed the fill anyway.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 12:24:37 PM »
Always interesting to me how the name affects the reputation.

No one has taken this course very seriously for almost 20 years since it opened, but now that someone has figured out that Mike Strantz was involved with it, it has a bit more cachet.

Tom,

I'm not sure that's the point I was trying to make.  I played there based on your giving it a "6" in the Confidential Guide and was surprised that it was unlike many of Tom Fazio's courses in unusual ways, such as contoured fairway undulations and some classical touches like a punchbowl green and blind shots.  There was also little in the way of the usual framing methods and the earthmoving seemed to actually be mostly in play.  

So, having no idea, but thinking about the timeframe it was built, I decided to ask the question about Strantz's involvement because some of the waste area shaping looked similar to what i've seen from him, as well.  I'm not sure it raises the cachet but it was a good course with some non-stereotypical features and I think your 6 is an accurate assessment.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 01:43:09 PM »
Tom,

But not for cachet, I would not have traveled 3 hours each way in the dead of winter to meet Barney at Quail Crossing.

I'm no label-sensitive chump, however.  Heck, I'd never order Grey Goose.

Happy New Year.  Hopefully it will involve some work down South.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back