News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Doyle

Puerto Rico ....... ?
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:32:11 PM »
I'm heading to a meeting in San Juan in a couple of weeks - I will likely have an afternoon (or two) available for golf, but I don't know anything about courses in Puerto Rico.

I searched this site & didn't come up with much.  I've looked at some on-line information and reviews; most seem to be about courses associated with big resorts:

Dorado Beach (RTJ/Ray Floyd)
El Conquistador (Arthur Hills)
Palmas del Mar (Rees Jones/Gary Player)
Westin Rio Mar (George & Tom Fazio/Greg Norman)
Dorado del Mar (Chi Chi Rodriquez)

I'm staying at a hotel (Caribe Hilton) that is in San Juan and does not have a course associated with it.  Is there anything in and around San Juan that might be worth playing or going to take a look at?

TIA,

Andy

cary lichtenstein

Re:Puerto Rico ....... ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 02:58:59 AM »
Been 20 years since we went to PR, but back then both courses at Dorado Beach has some really good holes., couple of par 5's in particular.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Doyle

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 02:03:03 PM »
Cary - thanks.

Anyone else with any experience with golf in Puerto Rico?

Andy

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:41:37 AM »
I played both courses at Palmas Del Mar a couple years ago, The Player course was so-so, the other course better, but they are probably not worth the drive all the way from San Juan.  There has to be comparable golf closer, or better golf if you are willing to drive that far.

I got a look at El Conquistidor which looked pretty impressive from a "wow factor" standpoint.  Cant speak much to the architecture.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:43:02 AM by Turboe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 08:16:42 AM »
I spent a week in Puerto Rico in 2004 and my wife and I loved the island.  As far as golf went--I would avoid Dorado Del Mar (even though it is most affordable).  Really a dull, packed-in course.  El Conquistador has some very dramatic holes and is hard to beleive you are in Puerto Rico.  Course and resort is built on top of a cliff so some amazing elevation changes.  But my favorite was the Rio Mar Course (I played the Fazio).  I thought it had a really good mix of holes and a really cool long par 3 that ran parellel to the ocean.

As far as the island--if you want really low key non resort crowd--you have to stay in the El Convento in Old San Juan.  It is an old Convent that has been renovated into a hotel and is right next to an unbelievable Cathedral.  The rooms are great, the breakfast was just right and the courtyard can not be described-you really have to see it.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
Daryl & Dale - thanks for the info.

Andy

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 01:58:00 AM »
The past 3 years I have participated in a pro-am  on several of the courses mentioned.  If dry (a key factor because there is a rain forest a few miles away on the mountain), the Norman course at Rio Mar is a really good course.  A major factor may be how much time do you have--the roads remind me of Ireland--15 miles equals an hour drive!  It took two hours from the airport to reach El Conquistidor resort during mid-afternoon.  By the way, if you have a spare day, why not take the puddle jumper over to Casa de Campo--45 minute flight!  You can possibly play both the Dye Fore and Teeth--Teeth on arrival, next day 1st tee time Dye Fore with lunch/shower and catch afternoon flight back to San Juan.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back