News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re:Bedford Springs Resort
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 03:46:45 PM »
Thanks Doug,

Happy New Year to you too.

I trust that is Wilmington NC and not Wilmington DE...

JohnV

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »
Bedford Springs joined the WPGA in 2004.  I was one of the people who did the course rating after they joined.  There is a lot of neat stuff there, but it really needs a bunch of work.  The first problem is the drainage which is horrible.

It looks like they took out a hole right by the clubhouse at some point to build a driving range.  The green is still there and used as a practice chipping green.  Does anyone know about that?

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »
I trust that is Wilmington NC and not Wilmington DE...

Yes, Wilmington NC. A great Ross restoration by Ron Prichard. One of the best golfing values on the planet too--residents pay $12, nonresidents $20 and juniors $5 weekdays.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dave Maberry

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 08:50:08 PM »
Kyle,
 I'm glad that websites were helpful on New Years for  :-*

I look forward to visit next July/August.

The Volcano holes at Wilmington and Roaring Gap appear similar to each other. At Bedford #16(their Volcano) I remember much more uphill, with trees really closing in on severe back-to front sloped green and deep bunkers short left and right, making this Volcano unique.

Dave

JNagle

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 08:44:49 AM »
A little more information to fill in about the Bedford Springs Resort.  

The project (construction) is set to begin this March.  The project is a retro-redo (all new features; greens, tees, bunkers, mounds....).  We will be keeping some features from the original 1895 course.  A "donut" bunker with large center mound and a seprentine bunker with four symetrical mounds will stay.  Tillie's "Tiny Tim" will be restored as per the photo.  Because of the amount of fill being created by the restoration of 5,500 LF of "Gold Medal" Trout Stream there will be additional "Alps" and mounds throughout the course.  Mounding complexes on the course and near play will resemble mounds found in Ross designs from that era.  

The "Volcano" holes remains.  We will return to the 1922 routing by relocating the range and reinstating a par 3 17th hole to its proper location.  Two holes added in the 80's will be eliminated with the Range and practice facility moving to the current 16th hole.

Overall this project is fascinating.  You have the restoration of a Resort building from the early 1800's, a full renovation/restoration of a golf course and the restoration of a stream channel meandering through the entire course.  Ron and I are very thankful to be involved with the project and look forward to breaking ground.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

wsmorrison

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 09:05:06 AM »
Craig Rokke,

Did you know that the esteemed researcher and all-around nice guy, Craig Disher, also went to Gettysburg?  Probably a few decades before you however  ;D

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
Well, I've been out since 85', so Craig D. may not have been there all that far ahead of me.  He's pretty good with a satellite!

The project at Bedford sounds very interesting. I can only imagine what the hotel would cost to restore. And I bet the course
will be fantastic when these guys are finished.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back