News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Marion

Re:What feature disgusts you at Tabacco Road..
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 12:06:38 PM »
Nothing there disgusts me, though as said by many the walks between holes leaves a bit to be desrired.

The only other nit pick is that the range is "irons only". No big deal.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 01:30:57 PM »
That it is 1000 miles or so away...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Craig Disher

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 04:44:53 PM »
John,
When did you stop beating your wife? ;D

There's so much to be disgusted with in the Sandhills, why pick on TR? For price and interest, there's nothing better here. I just finished a round a couple hours ago and although the course was still soggy from Wednesday's rain we had a terrific time - and I hate playing off mud. Sure, the walk between 14 and 15 is a major distraction and to be diverted from a short walk to the 18th tee to play one of the less interesting holes is disappointing, but overall, the course gets no complaints from me. I'll play it every time I'm in the area.

Someone mentioned the possibility of a new par 3 between 12 and 13 to replace 17. We looked at the site and it would offer an uphill par 3, something that the course doesn't have. I remember the first time I played TR, my group spent about 15 minutes trying to find 17 and 18 tees. And this was after taking the wrong turn between 12 and 13 - another wasted 10 minutes.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 04:50:20 PM »
John, nothing disgusted me out there either - just dead legs from walking 36 the day before and a subsequent lack of distance which really puts a strain on the short hitter.  TR is not the ticket when your swing is off.  I'd like to play TR again feeling a bit fresher and hope to do so in 2006.

Brian Gracely

Re:What feature disgusts you at Tobacco Road..
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 05:13:48 PM »
1] That it's 35 minutes from my house and I only get there a few times a year.
2] On #6 (a.k.a "Brent Hutto Hole"), they never put the tees and flag on different sides of the green, even though the far-right tee was the original (but #17 does do this)
3] They have removed the back tees on #13 and #14
4] They don't have the old guys running the cart barn anymore
5] That in about 75 rounds, I've never played #17 to a right-side flag.
6] I've never played #18 to a back flag.
7] The hot dogs in the clubhouse seem to have gotten smaller over the years
8] The mounds fronting #13 green really shouldn't scare me at this point.  I need to go for that green in two once in a while.
9] That they don't give locals a break on the rates during the high-season.  Charge the Northerners the high fees and keep the rates around $50-60 year-round for the locals. (NOTE:  This is a generic Sandhills issue)
10] That more courses don't have bunkers like the one in the front-right of #18 green.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 05:22:54 PM by Brian Gracely »

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »
John

I think TR blew Mid Pines and Pine Needles away during the Dixie Cup.  ]

I'm not sure what the Dixie Cup is and what sort of condition Pine Needles and Mid Pines were in but I just can't believe one would think that Tobacco is a better course than Mid Pines or Pine Needles, am I the only one who thinks this?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 06:18:46 PM »
Tobacco Road blew away Mid Pines and Pine Needles in my book...I would put roughly 150 courses between TR and PN...with another 200 or so till MP...

John Foley

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 08:36:22 PM »
Disgust is too strong a word, somet hings that I didn't like.

- Didn't like the shallow green set up. It got waay too repetative.

- Would have liked to see much more chipping area's rather than the bunkers/hill/longgrass. How cool would 13 bee w/ about 20 yards of shaved chipping area over the green??

- Am I the only guy who's going to say he didn't like the tee shot on #1?? I always thought the best way to play the hole would be 8I - 4I - 8I. Has anyone played it that way??

- That there aren't more greens like #3 around.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 08:58:32 PM »
John

Wow!  Mid Pines didn't impress eh?  I preferred it to Pine Needles, but I wouldn't rush back for $110.  Way over priced.

M. Sweeney

Pine Needles was in pretty good shape.  Easily the best of the three in that regard.  The Road and Mid Pines were quite soggy in parts and need to sort out drainage problems.

From the courses I have seen I think The Sandhillsish region is overhyped and overpriced.  I was particularly disappointed with the Duke course.  On the flipside I was very impressed with Wildwood Green.  Some excellent holes and great value.  Shame about the houses causing too much ob.  

I would like to get back someday and play The Road again,  Raleigh CC, Southern Pines and maybe another course such as Keith Hills or Holston Hills (not sure if names are correct) or perhaps another low key course.  

Ciao

Sean

« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 09:01:39 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2005, 09:00:35 PM »
Sean,

I think Mid Pines is solidly in the top 750 courses in the nation..I liked it..If I could get out more it might be top 500..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 09:01:43 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2005, 09:04:01 PM »
Jeepers John, you are on the warning tracks!  Top 750!  Stop taking the piss and open the champagne.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »
Sean,

I'm not sure what you know about our fine and big country but I imagine we have 750 cities where the local country club is better than Mid Pines..

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2005, 09:21:39 PM »
John

I am not questioning that Mid Pines is probably not on any list of courses.  Its a nice course, but no great shakes, especially for $110.  I am curious where the top 750 came from?  What a bizarre number.  I would be surprised if I have even played 500 courses!

Ciao

SEan  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2005, 09:34:37 PM »
John

I am not questioning that Mid Pines is probably not on any list of courses.  Its a nice course, but no great shakes, especially for $110.  I am curious where the top 750 came from?  What a bizarre number.  I would be surprised if I have even played 500 courses!

Ciao

SEan  

Sean,

If you ever get a chance to see the close to 1500 courses nominated for inclusion on the Golfweek lists you can get a feel for the wonderful courses in our country...top 750 is pretty special...Even Evansville, In has a Doak, Liddy, Fazio and Kern remodel of a classic Diddle..which are all better than Mid Pines..well, maybe not the Doak..

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2006, 06:16:00 AM »
John

When I stop to really think about it, playing 750 courses is a lifetime effort.  That is 20 courses a year for over 35 years! I will be very lucky to see 500 before I die.  

Being a Michigander the courses in Michigan are the only American courses I know fairly well.  Spending maybe 1 month on holiday there in the past 7.5 years means I am out of touch even with Michigan golf.  I would surely to play Kingsley, Arcadia and Crystal Downs, but I am not holding my breath.

Ciao

Sean

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »
I think the only feature that bothers me is the long walk between a few holes.  I also find a couple of greens too shallow (as T. Doak mentioned) especially the middle section of 15 green.  As a mid single digit handicapper I couldn't hold the green with a gap wedge so I've got to think most 10 plus handicaps have no chance there.

Overall, however, it is a very special place and an exciting round of golf unlike anything else I've played and I find it extraordinarily under-rated.  I also think it's the kind of course that will grow on the player the more they play it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back