News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Sand Hills Preparation
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 06:59:51 PM »
Mucci, you know I could screw you here, don't you?  The rest of those present at Sand Hills surely could as well.  Think Paul and others you've yet to meet wouldn't believe tales of a crotchety  overcompetitive angry old fart?

Just acknowledge that, and the truth shall set you free.

;D ;D

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 07:09:30 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

I sure don't get invited to all of these places because of my good looks. ;D

Paul Payne

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 07:16:28 PM »
Pat,

With all due respect, (and I'm sure I'd enjoy meeting for a round one day), but the underlying tone of your comments was that of a cranky old guy.

I say that in part because to make such an issue of what should be the most obvious of all... to go with a mindset to play good golf.... is similar to telling someone who has asked advice about painting their house... to be prepared to choose what color they'd like. Hmmm....

I think the general tone of this thread which seemed to get your attention, was that this chorus of Bozo's was, (along with giving minor prep tips here and there) essentially saying.... just be prepared to enjoy yourself come what may becase, YOU MAY NEVER GO BACK! I'm not sure I'd classify that as a useless tip.

Besides, if you go all the way to Mullen just to play golf, chances are you are already pretty serious and it is unlikely you are going to do anything BUT play golf until you keel over.

After all, I go to New York City with the intent of taking in an opera at the Met and a few dinners but that won't stop me from taking a walk through central part and just soaking in the city for a while. It would be a slightly more antiseptic trip without those diversions.

Maybe I over interpreted your meaning.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 07:17:02 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

Touche.  Of course for me the good looks ARE a large part of it.

Happy New Year, my friend.  Enjoy the second-rate bowl or whatever the heck it's called where you're going to rip OSU.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 09:21:17 PM »
Pat,

With all due respect, (and I'm sure I'd enjoy meeting for a round one day), but the underlying tone of your comments was that of a cranky old guy.

Like the part about Huckaby having an affair with the cattle ?
That was cranky ?
Like calling fellows, some of whom I've known for 15 years, bozos ?
If you knew them, you'd call my description ...... kind.
[/color]

I say that in part because to make such an issue of what should be the most obvious of all... to go with a mindset to play good golf.... is similar to telling someone who has asked advice about painting their house... to be prepared to choose what color they'd like. Hmmm....

Tim asked what elements of his game he should work on to maximize his playing potential at Sand Hills.  He didn't ask about the experience.   Everyone else told him to forget about playing well and to focus on other matters.  
Only KBM and I responded to his specific question.
[/color]

I think the general tone of this thread which seemed to get your attention, was that this chorus of Bozo's was, (along with giving minor prep tips here and there) essentially saying.... just be prepared to enjoy yourself come what may becase, YOU MAY NEVER GO BACK! I'm not sure I'd classify that as a useless tip.

Firstly, knowing most of the responders personally, I feel qualified to label them as bozos.

Secondly, the ride from North Platte to Mullen provides you with the same spectacular scenery that you'll experience beyond the bounderies of the golf course.

Thirdly, I think most understand that the trip may be a once in a lifetime trip.  Tim wanted to be fully prepared for the rigors of the golf course, and thus my focus was on the best method of preparation, which was not shot specific.

The advice I gave him remains sound, especially with respect to the overly friendly cattle.
[/color]

Besides, if you go all the way to Mullen just to play golf, chances are you are already pretty serious and it is unlikely you are going to do anything BUT play golf until you keel over.

Nobody, and I repeat, Nobody is venturing to Sand Hills to do anything other than to play golf.  That's the only reason one would venture to a remote location for several days equiped with only a shaving kit, golf shoes and clubs.
[/color]

After all, I go to New York City with the intent of taking in an opera at the Met and a few dinners but that won't stop me from taking a walk through central part and just soaking in the city for a while. It would be a slightly more antiseptic trip without those diversions.

You're comparing a visit to Sand Hills, with limited alternative activities, to a visit to New York City.

Huckaby, despite his claims, after two days, can only look at so many dunes and cattle before he starts winking back at the cattle.
[/color]

Maybe I over interpreted your meaning.

Misinterpreted would be more accurate
[/color]

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 09:23:56 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

Happy New Year, my friend.  Enjoy the second-rate bowl or whatever the heck it's called where you're going to rip OSU.

Texas was LUCKY to beat OSU.  OSU is a good ball club.

And, if Reggie Bush hadn't illegally pushed Leinart into the end zone, ND would be playing Texas in the Rose Bowl
[/color]

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 09:54:42 PM »
Firstly, knowing most of the responders personally, I feel qualified to label them as bozos.

Mr. Mucci, only little Davie Schmidt from Chicago is officially qualified on this site to label who's Bozo.  

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul Payne

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »
Pat,

I am beginning to like your spirit... truly. But you never really addressed the fact that the essence of your tirade was basically a moot point, that is, go prepared to play good golf.

Duhh!

Using the beach vacation example you sited I'll give my own example. If you have ever had a great beach vacation, (which I hope you have), did you ever come back and reminisce by saying "remember that day we laid on the beach!". If you have then I'm sorry.

Usually the remembrances are something that was unplanned or unexpected during your otherwise planned events.  

I think this is what the Bozo posse was trying to get across, (as I am sure you must know) and you chose this opportunity to make this concept seem small and worthless.

Well.... I think you've expended a lot of hot energy defending a position that is weak at best. Of course he is going to go prepared to play good golf, and why shouldn't the Bozos wish him well in spite of the outcome. Good lord man have a drink, there is war and famine in the world.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 12:43:44 AM »

If you COULD work on just one shot that would improve your score at Sand Hills that would seem to indicate that the golf course was one dimensional ...... it isn't.

Or, it could mean that all the other courses the guy plays are one dimensional, and he needs to work on dimensions he's not accustomed to.

From Tim Berts original posit....

The mid-teens handicapper in question would have limited time to play and/or practice due to a demanding work and family schedule, so please spare the obvious answers such as play 5 times a week or practice every day.

But, yeah go ahead work on your tempo, it transcends dimensionality.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 07:24:33 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tim Bert

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 01:32:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for some great advice.  I wasn't really only looking for one tip; I just figured if I got one from several different people that I'd have some well-rounded opinions to work with.

It sounds like I can draw from many of the same shots and preparation techniques that were applicable for the Bandon trip.  Wide stance for heavy wind, bump and runs, and creative short game.

We are, in fact, stopping at Wild Horse on the way, so it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.  From the pictures, it looks like Ballyneal might be a good test to prepare one for the Sand Hills experience as well.  Maybe we'll make the drive and knock on the door and see if they'll let us come in.

Now if I can just track down that cow!

Brian Phillips

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 06:26:59 AM »
I slightly disagree with the just lay back and have fun attitude.  I would practice and play as much as you can to make sure you are sharp when the time arrives.  I think playing poorly can take away from the experience no matter how good the course is.  Good luck.
Yeah, I saw how much fun you had when we whipped your butt at Brora.... ;)

Most of us are pretty crap golfers so what is the point fooling ourselves.

Tim is a 14 handicapper....what is the point taking golf serious...

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 09:45:50 AM »

Pat,

I am beginning to like your spirit... truly. But you never really addressed the fact that the essence of your tirade was basically a moot point, that is, go prepared to play good golf.
It was no tirade, I was simply trying to help Tim at the expense of the bozos.
[/color]

Using the beach vacation example you sited I'll give my own example.

South Beach isn't a beach, it's a district in Miami Beach, and it's not the beach that's the exciting attraction.
It's thongs on gorgeous topless women.
[/color]

If you have ever had a great beach vacation, (which I hope you have), did you ever come back and reminisce by saying "remember that day we laid on the beach!".
Do you mean "layed" or "laid" ?
[/color]

If you have then I'm sorry.

Don't be sorry, it was great.
[/color]

Usually the remembrances are something that was unplanned or unexpected during your otherwise planned events.
Like Huckaby meeting "Big Buster" ?
[/color]  

I think this is what the Bozo posse was trying to get across, (as I am sure you must know) and you chose this opportunity to make this concept seem small and worthless.
You're giving the Bozo Posse far too much credit.

The next thing you'll be telling me is to get in the back of a pick-up truck to spend the day riding all over the Sand Hills property to look at the phantom holes that C&C never built.

Or, to go out on the golf course at midnight, in golf carts with headlights, just to look at the golf course in a different perspective.
[/color]

Well.... I think you've expended a lot of hot energy defending a position that is weak at best. Of course he is going to go prepared to play good golf,

Obviously he's not.
If he was, he wouldn't ask for pointers on how to better prepare himself and how to play better at Sand Hills.

I'm surprised that the bozo posse didn't tell him how much seasoning to add to his hamburgers on Ben's porch.
[/color]

and why shouldn't the Bozos wish him well in spite of the outcome. Good lord man have a drink, there is war and famine in the world.

You can discuss those topics on other websites.
This one's about golf architecture.
[/color]

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2005, 09:51:33 AM »

Thanks everyone for some great advice.  I wasn't really only looking for one tip; I just figured if I got one from several different people that I'd have some well-rounded opinions to work with.

Disregard all syrupy tips.
Listen to KBM and myself
[/color]

It sounds like I can draw from many of the same shots and preparation techniques that were applicable for the Bandon trip.  Wide stance for heavy wind, bump and runs, and creative short game.

Now, you're making progress, I can see that you're a good pupil.
[/color]

We are, in fact, stopping at Wild Horse on the way, so it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.  

You will enjoy Wild Horse.
Try to get in 36 holes.
[/color]

Now if I can just track down that cow!

COW, who said anything about cows ?

That was a STEER.

Now you know why the motto is"
Come to the Sand Hills, where the golfers are golfers, and
the steers are nervous.
[/color]

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »
I slightly disagree with the just lay back and have fun attitude.  I would practice and play as much as you can to make sure you are sharp when the time arrives.  I think playing poorly can take away from the experience no matter how good the course is.  Good luck.
Yeah, I saw how much fun you had when we whipped your butt at Brora.... ;)

Most of us are pretty crap golfers so what is the point fooling ourselves.

Tim is a 14 handicapper....what is the point taking golf serious...

Brian

All right I was just perusing and about to leave when I saw this.  when I mentioned how great courses really can make you pumped up and play great I was thinking of the second day at Dornoch when me and my team absolutely beat you guys like red-headed step children!!!!!!  Or did all that beer, steak and rugby talk cause you to forget ;D

I'm with Pat Mucci on this one all the way.  It sounds a little bit like the crap we are supposed to feed our kids in sports, hey all that matters is you have fun, winning doesn't matter, bullshit, if I'm gonna coach and if parents are gonna take the time to run their kids back and forth to practices and games, we all better damn well show up with a winning attitude and a desire to excel.  So get to work Tim Bert, quick lounging around watching bowl games and drinking eggnog, you are playing golf at Sand Hills and you better damn well appreciate it and live up to it!!!!!!!!!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 12:43:11 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

Texas was LUCKY to beat OSU.  OSU is a good ball club.

And, if Reggie Bush hadn't illegally pushed Leinart into the end zone, ND would be playing Texas in the Rose Bowl
[/color]

Patrick,

When it comes to bits, bytes, computers and the logic of the BSC I am at a loss. However that last statement of yours borders on the ludicrous. The Stadium at South Bend had grass on it longer than one sees at a US Open, all to stop Bush. Talk about the Tradition of the Game. Am I wrong in thinking that Notre DAme lost by something like 45 points to Michigan State, a 5 and 5 team?

The two best teams in the country are at the Rose Bowl, rightly so.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 01:15:10 PM »
Patrick,

I thought you would find this of interest.

"Charlie Weis didn't balk at the revelation that Reggie Bush committed an infraction by pushing Matt Leinart across the goal line Saturday. ''Being perfectly honest with you, I would hope that my running back, with the game on the line, would take the same risk too," Weis said. "Because what's the worst thing that can happen? There's a penalty and you get to kick the field goal?"
-- Chicago Sun-Times

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
I think ND and MSU went to overtime. But that's a minor quibble, I like any post that questions Notre Dame.... :)

I can certainly understand the folks recommending Tim relax and enjoy the experience no matter how he plays, but that's advice for what to do when he gets there. If it were me, I'd try to practice as much as possible on everything, but, then again, I need the practice!

My suggestion would be to pick the thing that bugs you the most about your own game - what you feel is stopping you from being a single digit - and work on that. For me, it's probably the tee shot. Only you know your own game.

Have fun and please give a detailed report of your experience, I never tire of reading those.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul Payne

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005, 01:38:53 PM »
Pat,

UNCLE!

You do have a good sense of humor.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 05:15:41 PM »
Kelly,

Thanks for the reminder of that night....not...

I still have the joy of knowing that I helped personally kick your butt and learnt some new swear words at the same time...

Happy New Year bud..

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 11:50:02 PM »

Patrick,

When it comes to bits, bytes, computers and the logic of the BSC I am at a loss. However that last statement of yours borders on the ludicrous.

The Stadium at South Bend had grass on it longer than one sees at a US Open, all to stop Bush.

That's nonsense.
I was on the field that day with my son.
Don't tell me you're one of those fellows who believes everything the announcers say.
[/color]

Talk about the Tradition of the Game.

Am I wrong in thinking that Notre DAme lost by something like 45 points to Michigan State, a 5 and 5 team?

Yes, you're wrong.
They lost in overtime.
A fumble on the MSU one yard line cost them the game
[/color]

The two best teams in the country are at the Rose Bowl, rightly so.

I never said otherwise, but, both USC and Texas were very lucky in their games with ND and OSU.
[/color]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:58:43 PM by Patrick_Mucci_Jr »

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 11:57:36 PM »

Patrick,

I thought you would find this of interest.

"Charlie Weis didn't balk at the revelation that Reggie Bush committed an infraction by pushing Matt Leinart across the goal line Saturday. ''Being perfectly honest with you, I would hope that my running back, with the game on the line, would take the same risk too," Weis said. "Because what's the worst thing that can happen? There's a penalty and you get to kick the field goal?"

I'm aware of Weis's candid comments.
But, the fact remains, if he didn't push him into the end zone, ND wins the game.

Field goals aren't automatic and that only ties the game.

Had Leinart not fumbled on the previous play, ND wins the game.

If Leinart fumbles on the field, ND wins the game.

If Leinart fumbles through the end zone, ND wins the game.

USC was lucky to win that game, and in going undefeated, you have to be a little lucky.

If the officials aren't going to call the violation, why have it in the rule book ?
[/color]

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »
Kelly,

You must be a very young man, a very good golfer and a perfectionist. Get to my age and finishing the round is a joy itself, no matter what the score.

Bob

Bob,

I've learned that this is great advice on any course at any time and it's the best lesson I've ever received in the game.

I'm lucky to have learned it young enough to fully appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

Gene Greco

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2005, 05:04:23 PM »

USC was lucky to win that game, and in going undefeated, you have to be a little lucky.

Unless you are considering the 1995 NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS.

Mark May of ESPN has it correct in stating they would beat any college team of all-time.

Even the computers have it right for a change ranking that Nebraska team as unbeatable.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2005, 05:17:18 PM »
Gene Greco,

Could you post Nebraska's 1995 schedule so that we may examine the quality of the teams they faced, week in and week out.

The computer rankings are only as good as the programers writing the programs.

If you want a more accurate evaluation, look further west, to Las Vegas.   They're not perfect by any means, but, my money's on them.

Gene Greco

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
Pat:

As per your request:

No. 1 Seed: 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers
The 1971 Cornhuskers played in the Game of the Century, but the 1995 Cornhuskers don't take a backseat to anyone, not even the fabled '71 team.
Talent was everywhere on the '95 team with Tommie Frazier, Jared Tomich, Ahman Green, Lawrence Phillips, Aaron Taylor, Tyrone Williams, Mike Minter, Jamel Williams and Grant Wistrom, just to name a few.

In the regular season, Nebraska beat three top-10 opponents and outscored the opposition by 38.8 points and 262.2 yards per game. Still, the defending national champion Huskers kept hearing about Florida and the offensive wizardry of Steve Spurrier. It was to be a Fiesta Bowl for the ages. It became that, but for a much different reason.

The "Fun 'n Gun" never had a chance as Nebraska rolled to an emphatic 62-24 win over the Gators. Nebraska's famed "Blackshirt" defense had seven sacks and allowed just 269 total yards. Heisman runner-up Frazier ran for 199 yards and accounted for three touchdowns.

In becoming the first repeat champion since the 1978-79 Alabama squads, Nebraska also set a mark for the largest margin of victory by a No. 1-ranked team in a bowl game, recorded the second-biggest blowout ever by a No. 1-ranked team over a No. 2 team and scored the most points ever by a No. 1 team against another top-10 team.

Is that dominating enough for you?

Tale of the Tape
'95 Nebraska Stats '05 USC
556.3 Yards Per Game 580.2
399.8 Rush Yards Per Game 264.2
156.5 Pass Yards Per Game 316.0
52.4 Points Per Game 50.0
13.6 Points Against 21.3
38.8 Margin of Victory 28.6
3 All-Americans 3

1995 Nebraska Schedule/Results
Date Vs. Result
Aug. 31 at Oklahoma 64-21 W
Sept. 9 at Michigan St. 50-10 W
Sept. 16 vs. Arizona St. 77-28 W
Sept. 23 vs. Pacific 49-7 W
Sept. 30 vs. Washington St. 35-21 W
Oct. 14 vs. Missouri 57-0
Oct. 21 vs. Kansas St. (8) 49-25 W
Oct. 28 at Colorado (7) 44-21 W
Nov. 4 vs. Iowa State 73-14 W
Nov. 11 at Kansas (10) 41-3 W
Nov. 24 vs. Oklahoma 37-0 W
Jan. 2 vs. Florida (2) in Tostitos Bowl 62-24 W

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back