News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

"It's so bad, it's good"
« on: December 31, 2005, 06:57:33 PM »
It seems to me that the Jans is a course that fits this description (if I am reading the other thread correctly, which is never assured ;)).  Are there any other courses like it.  I can think of one--the late Pistol Creek Golf Club in Berlin, CT.  I played in a qualifying tournament for an AJGA tournament there a couple years ago, and the cut was 81--5 or 6 strokes higher than any other qualifier.  It was the weirdest golf course around--I almost enjoyed it because it was the ultimate equalizer (no skill not required)--but they killed it in favor of housing.  All's well that ends well, I guess.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Harris

Re:"It's so bad, it's good"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:58:34 PM »
I call these courses AC/DC courses, after the band so bad you have to like them.

Our local muni, Five Ponds is in that category for me.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:22:07 PM »
Pistol Creek really did have loads of potential. The parallel holes (2-4, I think) were pretty bad, but here and there was some interesting stuff. There was a par 3 on the front (5, maybe) that was very good. The tee shot on 18 was one of the most brutal I have ever seen, with the tiny pod of a tee perched on a hill, a huge forced carry over a ravine, and a landing area no wider than a Jetta. I always thought that if someone had the time and money, they could turn it into something special. Unfortunately, the one time I played there, probably three years ago, the course was in awful condition.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:30:58 PM »
...AC/DC courses, after the band so bad you have to like them.

Um...Kyle... AC/DC was never 'bad'. They can have some poor lyrics at times, and sure the lead singer has blown his vocal chords out of his head... but they've always been pretty goddamned rockin'.

No other band could make such a long and successful career out of playing one continuous album. In the wise words of Edward Van Halen, "Sure, they play the same song over and over again, but it's a @#$%)ing GOOD SONG!"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back