News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re:why are pros rally scoring low?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 09:41:06 AM »
I think Jordan's initial point is correct though, if the actual playing conditions on Tour were not quite where they are today would scores be higher? I think the answer is yes. I disagree with the other sentiment though, that a lesser player on well conditioned courses might suddenly rise to the top on poorly conditioned ones.

Brian Noser

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 09:51:46 AM »
I just want to say, check out the scores from the lower ranking tours like the Hooters tour and the little mini tours in FLA and CA. Most of those are played on the same courses you and I play, and they are putting up some numbers and these are the little tours.
At the course I used to work at here in St louis that had a Hooters event. The course was in good shape but not pga tour shape, and somebody shot a 62 with hole in one on a par 4!! 25 under won the tournament. there were many 64-65s , par 72

JESII

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 10:01:49 AM »
That's a good example to work off of Brian.

Do you think the PGA Tour guys would struggle at that Hooters event because the course was not quite in PGA Tour shape?

Do you think the scores might have been lower (better) if the course were in perfect shape but set up to the same difficulty (i.e. rough height and fairway width, green firmness and speed etc...)?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 10:05:52 AM »
Jim, Jordan, et al.

If anything, conditioning just serves to decrease the standard deviation of scores. Making for less outliers.

There will always be at least one situation in a tournament where 2 or 3 shots are lost thanks to conditioning, and "poorer" conditions help that along.

redanman

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 10:07:10 AM »
Excuse me if it has already been so stated, but pros score really low at garden-variety events because the courses are so consistent in set-up week-to-week placing them in a comfort zone.  Once out of that zone the score do go up a bit, but they are however immensely talented and experienced, not to discount that, but the sets-up they play are their comfort zone and out of the comfort zone of even all but the very best amateurs.

Brian Noser

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 10:10:25 AM »
I do not think the tour guys would struggle cause the courses are not top designed courses. They were not meant for the touring pro of any caliber to come outthere and have a Tourney.

As for the conditions I honestly do not think that would have helped the fairways are zoyzia so even if they are dormant they are an ok playing surface. I played in the tournament on a course exemption, and well I will not post scores but I did not make the cut. missed by double didgets and it was my home course and I was about a 2 handicap at the time. There was not a time I remember saying boy those conditions cost me 5 shots a round!!! I mean conditions matter but not that much to say the pros would shoot that much higher on your local muni if not even lower.

PThomas

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 10:21:05 AM »
I think you are correct Shiv...I don't rememeber any 28s or 29s on the muni 9...if fact, I think the lowest score was about 32
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back