News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bill_k

Long Cove?
« on: December 25, 2005, 02:44:47 PM »
Aware of the fact that it has hosted two different USGA championships in addition to possessing Tom Doak's seal of approval in The Confidential Guide - I was pretty disappointed after my initial round at Long Cove. While there are several good holes to enjoy, there are also many holes that could easily be found on any of the two dozen or so mediocre resort courses that litter Hilton Head Is.
The interior movement and conditioning of the greens are a cut above the other offerings on the island...but the wall to wall housing that creeps close to the fairway corridors on many of the holes spoils it for me entirely.
Anyone who has played Chechessee Creek would have a hard time acknowledging Long Cove as even the best course  in Beaufort County.
Am I missing something here...does anyone agree or disagree?

McCloskey

Re:Long Cove?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 03:31:54 PM »
My top 5 for the Hilton Head area would be in no particular order:
Harbor Town
Long Cove
Colleton River (Nicklaus)
Chechessee
May River Club

with the May River Club being my clear choice as the best.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 06:05:55 PM »
This didn't get many responses...anybody have anything else to add...I'm curious myself what others think having not played LCC.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 07:35:26 PM »
Well,
  I'll be careful in how I respond, but I've played the Cove over 50 times and have never once come close to hitting any houses. Actually, I can't tell you the last time that a member or guest has hit a house. Upon my initial visit to Long Cove, I was impressed in the fact the houses were set off the course enough as to not feel the the homeowners were in the "gallery."
  C3 is a totally different experience-walking with caddies, no pool, no tennis, no cartpaths, etc...

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 07:38:54 PM »
Bill:  It's been a long time since I was last at Long Cove, and not nearly all of the houses were built back then.  I'm sure at its built-out state it's not as appealing as I remember it from 1982.  However, there are still a bunch of great holes and I'm curious which holes you found less appealing, because I thought it had few weaknesses.

Chechessee may feel different when it's built out, too.  I know May River won't have as much of a problem with that because the development is so low-density, but I'd take the holes at Long Cove any day.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 07:42:40 PM »
Mr. Doak,
  We're about 90% full with houses and all the lots have been sold. There are about 600 lots on the Long Cove Plantation....check your IM

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

kwl

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 07:54:50 PM »
ccc will be 'built out" with no more than 45 cottages on some 300 acres...for now, it has about 7. it is magical, memorable, strategic, understated, and a solid sporty venue. in a word. fun.

fyi. i am biased.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back