News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Re:Why no love for trees?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 09:10:36 AM »
Tim,

Because almost all of the trees planted after golf courses opened were located by green committees that didn't consult with the original architect.  

The people siting the trees usually lacked the vision necessary to determine the architectural impact of "mature" trees, 20, 30, 40 and more years into the future.

They tended to be totally unaware of the harm done to the nearby turf, especially greens, tees, as well as bunkers.

They were also unaware of their impeding nature when it came to air circulation and sun light.

When you factor in indescriminate planting, to a well designed golf course, the results usually result in the dimunition of the architectural values and playability of the golf course.

Hurricane Wilma removed many of the non-indigenous species planted by "northern" green committees on golf courses in South Florida.  Hopefully, misguided green committees won't attempt to replant them.
I'm not disputing the claim that trees can take away from the architecture of golf courses.  I just get the feeling, sometimes, that people begrudge trees their very existence on golf courses.  There tends to be dismissal of their merits as strategic obstacles without any consideration.  This is part of the reason, I think, that some people give Sand Hills as much credit as it gets.  Granted, I've not played it, and am sure that it is indisputably one of the very very best golf courses in the world.  But, does the dearth of trees add a bit to its "Boo-Yah" factor?  It seems plausible, if those select audience members are big-time links-golf-purists, to whom wind is the divine spirit of all golf architecture.

I know it may sound crazy, but I think the litmus test for a truly excellent golf course is how it would play on a calm day, with nary a breath of wind to shove balls around.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 09:32:21 AM »
 Tim,

There are just so many ways that trees are a mistake on golf courses that one often says just do without them. They have limited benefits if done properly. This means as turning points for doglegs or backdrops or hole separation.

Many who dislike them on this site have experiences at older courses where they were planted in a fashion that eliminates the original design strategies. Most of us just want those wonderful lines of play recovered. BTW it helps the health of the course as well.

I find no reason why one should cover up a well designed hole with an evergreen tree. This is the main focus of most of the tree removal talk.
AKA Mayday

Paul Payne

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 10:46:01 AM »
Mr. Gavrich,

I am a fairweather friend of trees myself and have tried to defend their use on a course within this thread, however, if you truly feel that Sand Hills is favored so highly among golfers simly because it has not trees, then your opinion has suddenly lacked all credibility, and you will not do anything to further the cause of our mute shrubbery.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 11:09:05 AM »
Adam,
  I partially agree with you regarding BWR...however I do think that #9 and #11 are good uses of trees on that middle 9 that you mention. However #12 and especially #13 do over-do things as you said.

One thing I do like about all the trees on that course, is that they make the place more unique than it would be otherwise. #13 is a hole which I (somewhat thankfully) have never seen anywhere else!

Andy, You are correct in pointing out #9 as a good use of trees. I even like the stand right of the "V" on 8.

This one maybe the best uses of a willow on any course in the world.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 11:12:22 AM by Adam Clayman »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 12:44:18 PM »
Mr. Gavrich,

I am a fairweather friend of trees myself and have tried to defend their use on a course within this thread, however, if you truly feel that Sand Hills is favored so highly among golfers simly because it has not trees, then your opinion has suddenly lacked all credibility, and you will not do anything to further the cause of our mute shrubbery.
I did not mean anything of the sort.  I was merely suggesting that for some people, a lack of trees on a golf course may be a factor when considering the greatness of said course.  Don't get me wrong, to play a round of golf at Sand Hills would be an incomparably wonderful experience.  Perhaps it was not a good example, now that I think about it.

To sum up, all I am saying, is "give trees a chance." ;D
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Norbert P

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 03:50:26 PM »

Lulu across the street has done a wonderful job with three management ...     :o  

Lulu sounds like a fun course. (?)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 03:57:50 PM »
 Menage A Trois at Lulu---a common event ;D
AKA Mayday

Norbert P

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 04:00:33 PM »
... when it died they had to pay millions to import a new one.  

Millions $$$.  What kind of tree was it? I think I will plant them on my property. Or was it planted by a group, fertilised by Paris Hilton's (puntable) pooches, grown by a committee, approved for expenditure by the House of Representatives and the Senate, and then purchased by the military?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 04:09:38 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if there should be 'hazards' in the air.

Considering that nearly every struck ball, except those putted, flies through the air, I feel that appropriate trees are essential for mixing up the defences on flattish ground and parkland courses.  

Personally,I tend to like groving of trees; not the lining up of them between holes.  This allows the trees to be forestlike without being confining or invasive to turf and play.

Barona Creek in SoCal is a terrific example of thoughtful selection and arrangement.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 04:12:01 PM »
... when it died they had to pay millions to import a new one.  

Millions $$$.  What kind of tree was it? I think I will plant them on my property. Or was it planted by a group, fertilised by Paris Hilton's (puntable) pooches, grown by a committee, approved for expenditure by the House of Representatives and the Senate, and then purchased by the military?

No kidding Slag - apparently the whole process of removing a huge tree from the right of #1 and moving it and transplanting it next to 18 green did run to seven figures.  That's one damn important tree.   ;D

Norbert P

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 04:15:12 PM »
 Tom, I wonder if an IRS agent raised his eyebrows for that deduction. Or is he a member now?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 06:03:26 PM »
Adam,
  Thanks for posting the pictures. #14 MV is another good example.

Tim,
  I commend you for your defense of using trees. Three of my five or so favorite courses are fairly heavily treed and I still think they are among the best courses and most beautiful sites I have visited!  (BWR-River being the best example).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back