News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Re:Christmas Golf Quiz
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 04:49:43 PM »
70. Is Thornden Park

72. Is Royal Dublin I believe.

80. Is Hayling

As for Q 99!!!!  So Mark. We have to be bleedin meteorologists as well do we? :D
I’ll go for Hunstanton.  ???

Keith Durrant

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 05:02:58 AM »
Mark,

My answers are in!

I'm sure like some others here, I got sucked into this thinking it would nice to test my knowledge and it then kept me trawling for hours!

My wife was on the point of throwing the PC out the window... :)

Happy New Year!
Keith

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 12:33:39 PM »
Answers tomorrow - then the brickbats when you point out my errors.....

Happy New Year one and all!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 02:13:22 PM »
Answers:

1. TG Renouf
2. Manor House Hotel/Bovey Castle
3. Ballybunion Old Course
4. Royal Belfast
5. Old Manchester (1818)
6. Frank Pennink
7. James, Duke of Monmouth
8. Glencorse
9. Stockley Park
10. Bala
11. St Annes Old Links
12. Tullamore
13. Royal Norwich
14. Portmarnock
15. Fulford
16. King James VI
17. Burnham and Berrow
18. St Enodoc
19. West Cornwall
20. Bowood
21. Bath
22. Berkhamsted
23. Royal Wimbledon
24. Harewood
25. 14th
26. Southfield
27. Seaton Carew
28. Irvine (Bogside)
29. Royal Burgh of Lauder, Royal Town of Caernarfon (a bit iffy – not a good question.  I asked it badly and got a number of very sensible alternative answers.)
30. It is the only Gowf club listed in the Golfer’s Handbook
31. Turnberry is commemorated on Royal Troon – 'alluded to' might have been safer
32. Bull Bay
33. Walmer and Kingsdown
34. Mullion
35. Durness
36. Mundesley
37. Castletown (IOM)
38. Moor Allerton
39. Aberdovey
40. Llanymynech
41. Liphook
42. Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle
43. Enid Blyton (Mrs Darrell-Waters)
44. Hayling
45. West Monmouthshire
46. Temple
47. St Andrews Links Trust
48. Royal Liverpool
49. Carnoustie
50. Royal Jersey

51-100 follow

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 02:13:57 PM »
Answers

51. Islay (Machrie)
52. Isle of Barra
53. Machair
54. Formby
55. Wallasey
56. Southport and Ainsdale
57. Scarborough
58. Worcestershire (I don’t think he was also a member of Worcester G and CC, but I am willing to be corrected)
59. Burhill
60. Brighton
61. Birmingham
62. Southerness
63. Ashridge
64. Bracken
65. Royal Guernsey
66. Nefyn and District
67. Lahinch
68. Mount Juliet
69. East Sussex National
70. Thorndon Park
71. Pat Ruddy, Druid’s Glen
72. Royal Dublin
73. 13th The Addington
74. Killarney (original 18th hole, I believe, Mahony’s Point)
75. Royal Liverpool
76. St George’s Hill
77. Royal Aberdeen
78. RAC Club
79. Royal Isle of Wight
80. Hayling
81. The Island
82. Waterville
83. Prince’s, Royal Portrush
84. Al Watrous
85. Arnold Palmer
86. Parkstone
87. Simon Gidman
88. Ganton
89. Pannal
90. Coombe Hill
91. Gog Magog
92. John O’Gaunt
93. Slieve Russell
94. Royal Burgess
95. HMS Excaliber
96. Cruden Bay
97. Sheringham
98. Fairhaven
99. Broadway
100. Royal Mid-Surrey (Outer Course)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
I've had a number of e-mails and I see there are some IMs waiting, so I'll pick a winner at random shortly.

Thank you for being so sporting as to have taken part!

Mark.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
And the winner is - and by some margin - Jason McNamara.  No, he didn't get 100%, but it's near enough.  I've not penalised anybody who came up with a reasonable answer to Question 29, which was badly thought through on my part.  It was pointed out to me that it is no longer the 9th hole at Wallasey that is named after Stableford, but the 2nd, which seems utterly good sense, as the 9th was only the 17th stroke hole and (with a 7/8ths allowance) only the longest handicappers would have got a stroke on that hole in a Stableford competition.  The 2nd, on the other hand is a very serious hole and almost everyone will get a stroke there.  It is far too many years since last I played there.  I hope to remedy that in the Buda Cup later this year.

Jason also pointed out that, although the Barra website claims that it is the most westerly course in the United Kingdom, Castle Hume near Enniskillen is actually further west (substantiated with geographical details), so maybe the Barra website should say 'in Great Britain' rather than the UK.  

If Jason would care to send me his postal address I'll get a World Atlas in the post to him, or, if it is easier, I could pay for one on my credit card to be collected at his local Barnes and Noble.

Thank you all for taking part.  

Best wishes for 2006,

Mark.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:28:26 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 07:17:09 PM »
Congratualations to Mark and to Jason McNamara. What Fun.  After doing rather well in the GCA multi choice thread, I was flumoxed by most of these.   19.5 with no googling or consulting books- well it would get me a pass in GCE Maths if the papers can be believed.  (The nightmare came true, I've only played on 5 of the courses in the quiz and I got the one about East Sussex wrong!)

I was considering "spend less tiem on GCA" as one of my new years resolutions, but obviously the reverse needs to be the case.

Thanks for taking the time to set this I hope it can become an annual tradition.  
Thanks
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »
Mark - Thanks again for putting on the contest.  Looks like that "driest course" question was the only one that I got wrong.  I will have to tell the folks at Littlestone that their microclimate doesn't quite cut it.  But I'll gladly take 99/100, given the obscurity of some of those questions!  (The cricket question was my favorite - losing the golf and then bowled for a duck!)

Sean -  Re Vardon's ace... I finally found the answer at the bookstore in a copy of _The Greatest Game Ever Played_, would you believe.  (The book has a 'whatever happened to...?' chapter at the end.)  Mundesley's own website doesn't mention the feat.

Tony - Thanks for the congrats.  I too hope there's another quiz next year, and maybe Mark will let me help out with it.  :-)

Jason

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2006, 07:25:44 AM »
Jason I'm just curious have you played any of these courses?

The majority of these are from the second or lower tiers of GB&I courses and you have to admire the no of courses Mark has played over the years and the brian that remembers al lthis stuff.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 09:33:46 AM »
Tony - unfortunately my 'brian' got me into trouble, the 9th at Wallasey, for instance, no longer being the Stableford commemorative hole.  You are right about many of these being well below the higher ranks, but there is much fun to found on so many of these courses as posts by Paul Turner, Andy Levett and others so often remind us.  So frequently my eyes are opened by such posts.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 01:40:52 AM »
Jason I'm just curious have you played any of these courses?

Hi Tony,

I've been to GB&I three times, but never to play golf. :(  I admit I got no more than a dozen right without research, probably more like ten.  (Though as I understand it, it's normal for these British yuletide quizzes to be ridiculously difficult.)  Anyway, I just enjoy these kinds of puzzles, and geography is a particular favorite.

Jason

Marc Haring

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 03:08:14 AM »
Mark

Thanks for a great quiz. Perhaps I should compile a British greenkeeping one. I have to question question 99 though. I mean, Broadway? I'd have thought stuck up in the Cotswolds it could have laid claim to being just about the wettest.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2006, 06:08:11 AM »
It's not so much the rainfall as the drainage and at Broadway you'll never see standing water because the water just races away through the underlying porous rock.  The club made the claim in its centenary book.  When last I was there (1999 I think) their greenkeeper had just finished his year as holder of the greenkeeper of the year award.  There are some fascinating (entertaining, though not great) holes and the views are fabulous.  Don't visit it in preference to Tadmarton Heath or Huntercombe if you are journeying north through the Cotswolds, but, if you are passing, it is well worth a round.

Sean, I last played Worcestershire and Worcester G & CC in 1969, so I don't remember them very well.  Where do they stand on an Arble scale of 1-10 and what else should I know of in that part of the world other than Blackwell?

ForkaB

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2006, 07:00:21 AM »
Great stuff, Mark

I have a dream....

Buda Cup at Hoylake, October 2006.  30-40 GCA'ers given a field tested 25 question quiz on "The Golf Links of Great Britain and Ireland."  Read out by an American quizmaster feigning a Icelandic-Scot accent.  All contestants sitting either literally or figuratively in black leather chairs under television spotlights.  Two minutes only for the reading and answering of all 25 questions.  I can just hear the background music......

Dum, Dum ta Dum, Dah dum, da Da DA!.......

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2006, 01:33:39 PM »
Sean,  Many thanks - very helpful to get authoritative feedback.  I lived in Droitwich between 1952 and 1957 but that was before even I played golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back