News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Arizona 'reasonable' golf
« on: January 01, 2006, 11:26:34 AM »
Looking to play some golf in Arizona in February.  Would like greens fees under $100 or slightly over if absolutely exceptional.  In reviewing threads the following three courses are mentioned as affordable golf and good values:  del lago outisde of Tuscon, Papago muni in Phoenix, and Apache Stronghold.  Wondering if anyone knows the current condition of Apache Stronghold and how bad is it?  Also, opinions as to which of these or others is best would be helpful, as will likely only get in 2 rounds.

thanks
Cliff

Jay Flemma

Re:Arizona 'reasonable' golf
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »
I play apache wed.  I also play we-ko-pa, grayhawk, talking stick, blackstone and sedona.  Details here and on my website.

P.S. The Falls was fair-to-middlin yesterday...nice people, nice place good conditioning, but a twelve hole wonder.  Weiskopf should hit us earlier out of the gate instead of this 5 warmup holes stuff...

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 12:25:22 PM »
Thanks,Jay.  Look forward to your impressions, especailly Apache and Sedona.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
Visit www.golf602.com for discounted tee times a few days in advance. There are some decent courses there- Wigwam Gold & Blue and Biltmore Adobe are classic,non-desert courses- but don't count on playing the big name courses- Grayhawk, Troon North, WeKoPa,etc- at discounted rates in February. Also, try websites of other courses not on golf602.com for email specials- www.longbowgolf.com and www.asukarsten.com, for example.Also, consider playing Papago and Aguila, 2 Phoenix munis- www.phoenix.gov/SPORTS/golf.html

Also, Vistal GC is very reasonable. www.vistalgolfclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 12:43:03 PM »
I think Papago is a solid layout - and a good value.  It isn't usually in the kind of condition that does the course justice.  I've almost never played it when the greens are anything better than average.

Wigwam Gold was mentioned - and it is a very fine non-desert golf course IMO.  Don't know how "reasonable" it is though.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 12:53:40 PM »
I forgot to mention TPC Desert Course in Scottsdale. It's under $60 and is very walkable. Del Lago in Vail outside of Tucson is a good course but if you're staying in Phoenix, it's a long ride. Tucson courses are much more reasonable. El Rio and Silverbell are 2 recently renovated munis that are worth a shot as are Randolph Park&Dell Urich. www.tucsoncitygolf.com
Another choice in North Tucson is The Preserve GC at Saddlebrooke-520-825-9022. For $69/$41 twilight(1pm)- I think it's one of the better values in AZ.
Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, South of Tucson, is a Schmidt-Curley course getting good reviews.
www.golf520.com is the discount site for Tucson.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 12:57:32 PM »
Discounted tee times at Wigwam Gold are now at $75 at golf602.com. They may be a little higher in Feb.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 01:05:21 PM »
checked out golf602.com and looks great to save some bucks!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 04:20:41 PM »
Cliff,

I echo much of what's been posted here. I'm not sure where you're coming in from, but I would recommend a warm-up round at Vistal as soon as you get off the plane.

I played there in early December and if you make a tee time (I think) four or fewer days out, the rate goes way down. I played for 25 bucks. It's very close to the airport (just down the road from Raven South Mountain) and it's a pretty fun track. Good place to start

Golf 602 is also a good deal. Another thing you can do is sign up for e-mail deals from interwest courses (two ravens, two trilogys) and sometimes there are good deals there. I got Wigwam Gold in early Dec. for 45 bucks.

Tom Renli

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 10:12:16 PM »
I would second TPC Desert Course.  Granted, it is not a great golf course.  However, from a value perspective it is very good - $37 to WALK.  It was overseeded this year and is in good shape, relatively firm.  It is 6,500 yards, par 70, fairly challenging.

I believe Golf602 may be difficult to use in the peak Feb season.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »
I played Papago today and it is in the best shape of the past 5 years. Greens were solid and much care has been taken to, at least, get it in decent condition. Ignore the dead trees here and there, plus many other rough bits. You will have fun.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom Renli

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 10:48:13 AM »
Forrest,
First, thanks in advance.  Can you give us a high level outline of the work that you will be doing at Papago and the associated time frames?
Thanks, Tom

John Keenan

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 11:31:35 AM »
It is tough to use reasoinable and golf in the same sentence when refering to golf in Arziona.

My daughters boyfriend just returned from spending the holidays in the PHX area and told me a hot dog at the Phoenician was $12.00. It better be one great dog!!

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Chris Burgard

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 11:35:50 AM »
Hi Cliff,

I'm going to Arizona in February as well. Besides Apache, the other budget course I will be playing is The Raven at Verrado.

The course looks good and seems to be fairly well thought of in past threads. $139 on the weeked gets you unlimited golf with cart, two meals and snacks and non-alcoholic beverages on the course.

Chris

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 12:31:07 PM »
Tom — We are in the midst of a master plan for renovation. We have original plans, 1964 aerials (and others) plus Jack Snyder's field notes. I also have 40 years of association with the course — loads of memories and fond stories. There is no timetable at present. The Arizona Golf Association is leading a charge to help develop the master plan and then it will become a matter of many deliberations as to the method for implementation — i.e., how to politically, financially and logistically get the project underway. My guess is a 2007 beginning to the nitty-gritty of actually moving forward. In the meanwhile we continue to define the Bell design on paper compared to what has evolved...and to be amazed at how trees have ruined the place in terms of views, strategy, etc.

Some affordabe options for Arizona golf:

— Coldwater (Avondale; west of downtown Phoenix by 15 minutes)
— Grande Valley (Eloy; south of Phoenix by 30 minutes)
— Phantom Horse (south of the airport; a resort, but usually with
    plenty of specials)
— Falcon (military course at Luke AFB)
— Encanto (City of Phoenix; downtown)
— Rolling Hills (City of Tempe executive-length; west of airport and near Papago)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

rjsimper

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 01:23:30 PM »
Raven at Verrado is excellent - and Chris Burgard is right to point out what is included in the green fee - two EXCELLENT full cooked-to-order sit-down meals in their grille - I had some sort of gourmet French Toast and then Fish and Chips -

The course, I felt, was very enjoyable - wide by Arizona standards, with a good mix of easy and difficult, long and strategic, and was in good shape when I was there (July)

We played 54 holes, hit 2 buckets of balls, ate two meals, and got on-course drinks for 69 bucks.

(Then again, it was 115 degrees out and we were the only people on the course past 11am, so we didn't wait on a single hole for 54 straight holes - talk about beautiful!)

But yes, despite the fact that it's a bit less convenient to get to when based in central PHX or scottsdale, I still think that Verrado blows many of the other "value" courses out of the water, and if Apache Stronghold is being mentioned as an option, then driving out of the valley is clearly not an issue.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 08:37:40 AM »
I agree with Ryan's view on Raven at Verrado. I didn't mention it because it is more than $100 in prime season. It may be possible to reduce the rate there by eliminating the 2 meals. Call ahead.

Here are some new higher prime season rates for the big names:

Troon North now $295 for weekends.

Boulders now $270(less if you stay at resort)

WeKoPa now $195  ($110 for AZ residents)- C&C course to open Dec 2006

TPC Scottsdale now $238

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 10:30:13 AM »
I thought i might stay a couple of nights at Apache Stronghold - what's the feelings about the accommodations?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »
Jerry:

You'll find a Best Western at the location and it's a slight improvement from what Joseph & Mary endured. ;D

P.S. Frankly, people are going to AS simply because of the Doak connection but the turf situation is not that much better from the people I have spoken to who have played there in the last several weeks.

Chris Burgard

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »

Hey Cliff,

Apparently I was wrong...The Raven fees are $139 for weekDAY and $159 for weekend.

I still figure that the meals, drinks etc has to be worth $39 and that I'll be paying $50 per round on the weekday.

Chris

rjsimper

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 01:55:47 PM »

Hey Cliff,

Apparently I was wrong...The Raven fees are $139 for weekDAY and $159 for weekend.

I still figure that the meals, drinks etc has to be worth $39 and that I'll be paying $50 per round on the weekday.

Chris

And at that price, its 159-times a better deal than Troon Norte at the prices Steve posted!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back