News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Christmas Golf Quiz
« on: December 24, 2005, 08:11:04 AM »
At the request of some of you, here is a British Isles golf quiz to keep you out of mischief over the holiday season.  I'm offering a prize of a copy of the new edition of World Atlas of Golf to the first completely correct list of answers drawn at random on January 1st, so e-mail me with your answers - please don't post them on GCA before I do!  It comes in two parts:

Part 1

1. In the field for the 1899 Open Championship there were no fewer than seven players from the island of Jersey: three Vardons (Harry won), Ted Ray, two Gaudins, and whom?  This person spoke little or no English, yet became professional at the Manchester Golf Club and later at Stockport.  He taught Fred and Adele Astaire to play golf and designed a number of courses in the Manchester/Cheshire area.

2. Most of the courses designed by JF Abercomby were in the London area.  One, however, was in the south-west of England.  It has recently had a make-over and had its name changed, and the course began with one of the most diabolical short par 4s in my experience, 293 yards with a stream cutting across on the diagonal into which almost all lay-up shots bounced after shooting off at an angle from the hump-back downhill fairway.  I imagine this hole has been one of the design changes.  What was the name of the course and as what is it now known?

3. Which one-time Irish Open venue has back-to-back par 5s and par 3s, and was described by Tom Watson: ‘The contours on the fairways and greens are what make it a great golf course’?

4. There are five Royal golf clubs in Ireland: Royal County Down, Royal Dublin, Royal Portrush, Royal Tara and which other club?

5. Royal Blackheath is generally accepted to be the oldest golf club in England, ‘probably instituted in 1608’.  Which was the next to be established?  It still exists, but is described as a club without a course.

6. The 18-hole course at Rye in East Sussex was the first course laid out by Harry Colt.  Who designed the club’s 9-hole Jubilee Course?

7. One of the noblest clubhouses in Britain is that at Moor Park near Rickmansworth, north of London.  For whom was the house built?

8. An 18-hole course south of Edinburgh, first designed by Willie Park, features no fewer than eight par threes, only one of which is under 200 yards in length.  It is quite close to Rosslyn Chapel, scene of the climax of the Da Vinci Code.  What is the name of the course?

9. Which Robert Trent Jones course was built on the site of a former rubbish tip?

10. Which 10-hole course overlooks the largest natural lake in Wales?

11. The Lytham and St Anne's Golf Club (as it was then known) moved to its present site in about 1897.  Which club now occupies part of its former grounds?

12. Which Irish club was begun in 1886 by Col RA Craig, moved to its present home in 1926 with a layout by Captain Hewson, had a course redesign by James Braid in 1938, and was again redesigned, this time by Patrick Merrigan in the mid 1990s, involving the construction of three new lakes?

13. There are four Royal clubs in East Anglia: Royal West Norfolk, Royal Cromer, Royal Worlington and Newmarket and which other club?

14. The Amateur Championship has once been played outside the United Kingdom.  On which course?

15. The A64 Leeds-Scarborough road cuts through a course which hosted many Benson and Hedges European Tour events.  What is its name?

16. A course situated on Moncrieffe Island in the River Tay is named after whom?

17. On which famous British links is it possible to hook the ball into a churchyard on the 12th hole?

18. Which famous British links encircles a church?

19. Which course was designed by Rev. FF Tyack, produced Jim Barnes (winner of the US Open, USPGA and Open Championship) and is bordered (on the 4th hole) by the churchyard of St Uny?

20. Queenwood is a recent high-profile course.  Queenwood is also the name of a very desirable fully-staffed country house available for rent (by the seriously wealthy) beside the 7th and 8th holes of which Dave Thomas course laid out in a Capability Brown estate?

21. On which Harry Colt course is the approach to the 16th hole made over the historic Wansdyke?

22. On which bunkerless course is one of the principal defensive features the ancient Grim's Dyke?

23. On which course do the 6th and 10th holes play into Caesar's Camp?

24. Until the late 1960s Alwoodley rented the land on which its course was laid out.  From which estate was it rented (the family still having playing rights over the course to this day)?

25. Beside which hole at Aldeburgh is The Red House, home of the composer Benjamin Britten and his partner, the tenor Peter Pears?

26. What is the name of the university course at Oxford?

27. On which course is the hole named Snag?

28. Which Scottish course, frequently used for Final Qualifying for the Open Championship, has only one par 5 and two par 3s?

29. Two British mainland clubs feature the word Royal in their titles, but are not strictly Royal Clubs.  Which are they?

30. What is unique about the title of Loudoun, at Galston, 5 miles east of Kilmarnock?

31. Which Open Championship course is commemorated on another Open Championship course?

32. Which is the most northerly course in Wales?

33. Which course on the British mainland is nearest to France?

34. Which is England's most southerly course?

35. Which is the most north-westerly course on mainland Britain?

36. On the par-3 7th at which East Anglian course did Harry Vardon score his only hole-in-one?

37. The Derby horse race is nowadays run at Epsom.  Which golf course stands on part of the original Derby track?

38. Which Yorkshire golf club sold its Alister MacKenzie course for housing development, moving into the country to a course designed Robert Trent Jones?

39. This club's first professional was JS Cooper, whose son, Harry Lighthorse Cooper became an American professional.  Its most famous hole is named Cader.  Which club is it?

40. On which course do you drive out of Wales on the 4th to putt out in England, returning to Wales on the 7th tee?

41. Which is the only course known to have been designed by Arthur Croome?

42. Which famous author was Captain of Crowborough Golf Club in 1910?

43. Which famous author owned Isle of Purbeck Golf Club for many years?

44. Which golf links was founded by members of the Sandeman port-wine family?

45. Which is the highest golf course in the British Isles?

46. John Keble's hymn 'Blest are the pure in heart' ends with a verse which happens to mention a well-known Berkshire course, 'Give us a pure and lowly heart, A ...... meet for thee.'  Which course?

47. The home of which golfing institution is Pilmour House?

48. Which golf club is located on Meols Drive?

49. Which course has a hole named Luckyslap?

50. On which British links is the raised 17th green built on the site of a former German military bunker?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:22:02 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Christmas Golf Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:11:46 AM »
Part 2:

51. On which course is the 7th hole known as Scot's Maiden?

52. Which is the most westerly course in the United Kingdom?

53. What is the name of the turf found only on a few courses, mainly in the Western Isles?

54. There are three Ladies' clubs in England: Sunningdale, Wirral Ladies' and which other?

55. On which course is the 9th hole called Stableford, commemorating the founder of that particular form of golf, who was a member here?

56. Which course has as its most famous hole Gumbley's?

57. Which town has two golf clubs, North Cliff and South Cliff?

58. Of which club was the composer, Sir Edward Elgar, a member?

59. In the clubhouse of which golf club did Barnes Wallis design the 'bouncing bomb'?

60. Dyke Golf Club is located four miles north of which British city?

61. Gay Hill Golf Club is to be found 7 miles south of which British city?

62. Which Scottish course, designed by Philip Mackenzie Ross, was laid out in the 1940s for a sum of £2,000?

63. On which course is the 9th hole known as Cotton's?

64. What is the name of the second course at Woodhall Spa?

65. Which British course is located at L'Ancresse?

66. From which course is it possible to nip down to the beach inn of Ty Coch for a restorative drink in mid round?

67. Which famous Irish course overlooks Liscannor Bay?

68. Nick Faldo won three consecutive Irish Opens, two at Killarney.  Where did he win his third Irish Open?

69. The European Open has been played at Walton Heath,Turnberry, Royal Liverpool, Sunningdale and the K Club.  At which comparatively modern course has it also been played?

70. Which Essex club has hosted the PGA Championship?

71. 'Build me the most beautiful parkland course in Ireland, and never mind the expense.' Which designer was given this brief and what was the course?

72. Which course has as its second hole, Babington's?

73. Which hole on which course was described by Henry Longhurst as, 'with the exception of the fifth at Pine Valley, near Phildelphia, the greatest one-shot hole in inland golf'?

74. Where did Henry Longhurst describe as a 'beautiful place to die'?

75. Across which famous links is there a public footpath leading to the shore and, at low tide, to Hilbre Island?

76. Which Colt course was laid out for property developer WG Tarrant?

77. Which famous course is also sometimes known as Balgownie?

78. Which very private club near Epsom has two courses at least one of which was laid out by Herbert Fowler, the Old Course and Coronation?

79. Which 9-hole course at Bembridge (no longer in existence) had a royal title?

80. Which links course has holes named Death or Glory, Widow and Sailor's Grave?

81. Towards the end of the 19th century an England cricket team, led by Dr WG Grace, travelled to Ireland.  They played an Irish club at golf and lost every match, after which Grace said it was a pity they could not play the club at cricket, whereupon the greenkeeper was sent for.  He cut and rolled a wicket and the match commenced.  Grace is reputed to have been bowled first ball.  Which was the club?

82. Which Irish links has recently been altered by Tom Fazio?

83. Only two clubs share the distinction (if it can be called that) of having hosted the Open Championship once.  Which clubs are they?

84. A plaque to the left of the 17th fairway at Royal Lytham commemorates a famous rescue stroke played by Bobby Jones in the 1926 Open Championship.  Which golfer seeing that shot said, 'There goes a hundred thousand dollars'?

85. A plaque to the right of the 16th fairway at Royal Birkdale commemorates another famous rescue shot.  By whom was it played?

86. Tony Lema, practising in the morning for a challenge match with Peter Alliss, eagled the short par-4 4th hole by driving the green on a course in the south of England.  On hearing this Alliss remarked, 'That's fine, but he won't do it this afternoon.' He did.  On which course did this match take place?

87. Frilford Heath in Oxfordshire had two courses, one by JH Taylor, the other by JH Turner and CK Cotton. Who designed the third course which, incidentally, is not heathland in character?

88. Which course did Gary Player describe as the only inland course in the British Isles worthy of hosting the Open Championship?

89. At which Yorkshire club did Nick Faldo win the 1975 British Youths' Championship and Neil Coles the 1985 PGA Seniors' Championship?

90. Which London course did Bing Crosby describe as 'perfect for those without the physical strength of yesteryear'?

91. Which East Anglian club is named after a pair of giants?

92. Which club (with two courses) is named after the Patron of Geoffrey Chaucer? This man's mistress and later wife was Chaucer's sister-in-law.

93. On which course did Des Smyth capture the Irish Professional Championship for a sixth time from a strong field which included Darren Clarke?

94. Which Scottish club claims to have the longest CONTINUOUS history?

95. A periscope from which ship protrudes from the starter's hut at Golf House Club, Elie?

96. On which course are there holes named Whaupshank, Ardendraught and Bilin' Wallie?

97. On which seaside course did Joyce Wethered take the English Ladies' Championship for the first time at the age of 18?

98. Which Lancashire parkland course, once boasting 365 bunkers, was laid out by JA Steer with advice from James Braid?  It is a frequent venue for final qualifying for the Open Championship.

99. Which is said to be the driest course in England?

100. A Carthusian monastery once occupied the land on which now stands the 14th hole of the main course of which Royal club?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:17:50 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 08:15:37 AM »
Mark,

I am not smart enough to play the quiz but congratulations on the latest edition of the "World Atlas of Golf".  I am really enjoying it.

I wonder what the odds of Black Mesa making it into the book would have been without the influence of this site?

Sorry for the slight threadjack, but if there has been a World Atlas of Golf thread lately, I have missed it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:16:26 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 11:09:08 AM »
Merry Christmas to you. too, Sean.  Now, when are we meeting at Notts?

Mark.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:16:50 AM »
#49 = Carnoustie, I believe it's the 15th hole.
#3 = Ballybunion

What new courses are in the World Atlas of Golf?  If there is enough new stuff, I would love to get a new copy.  Otherwise, I'll be satisfied with the two I have already (1975 and 1999 editions).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:19:29 AM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »
I'm with Sean.

I'd bet if you opened up this quiz to all of us on GCA we couldn't get all 100 right by Jan 1.  Now if we were a million monkeys with a million keyboards and a million years, well then, maybe....... ;)

Merry Christmas, Mark

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
34. St. Mellion?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 12:49:19 PM »
Merry Christmas, Mark, great quiz!  I'm looking forward to seeing you and Sean and Rich, Philip and others at Hoylake next October.  I'll bring my copy of the new book for autographing.    ;)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
...e-mail me with your answers - please don't post them on GCA before I do!

C'mon guys. No giving answers away. This quiz is easy enough as it is  ::)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 02:51:35 PM »
I don't mind a few toe dippings.  It keeps the post on the top page for long enough for interested parties to have a go at it.  Most of the answers are contained within the pages of GCA and almost all the rest are easily accessed if you ask a search engine the right question.  For one or two, you may have to read a book or two, but isn't that what the Christmas break is for?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 03:14:50 PM »
On maturer reflection, I welcome toe dippings - some of the suggested answers are right, but not all - there is a mistake already....

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »
Very gnetlemanly of you, Mark.  How about a codicil of toe dippings allowed only if you have not used any search engines or books?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 04:43:31 PM »
Rihc, I'm a gnetleman (is the N silent?).  God, it gets difficult at this time of night on Christmas Eve when one had a cast iron excuse to exploit the bottle opener with 9 Lessons and Carols from King's at 3 o'clock.  Sheashonal greetings and here'sh to the future sucshesh of GCA!  You're a gnetleman, too, I'm too pished to shay. Mkra.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 04:44:30 PM »
What are the new courses in the World Atlas of Golf??  Thanks.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Marc Haring

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2005, 05:42:24 AM »
Mark

I will dip on a few but will resist the urge to search for my answers.

1. Aubrey Boomer (simply because I believe he did hale from the Channel Isles and was of that sort of age.

2. Manor House now Bovey Castle.

3. Ballybunion sounds good to me.

6. Steele

9. Stockley Park (some say it is still the site of a rubbish tip but we’ll give the old boy the benefit of doubt.

11. I’ll guess at St Annes Old Links.

13. Royal Norwich

15. Fulford

18. St Enodoc

20. Bowood

22. I’ll guess at Berkhampstead.

32. North Wales

33. Walmer & Kingsdown

34. I’ll go for Thurlestone but it might be Mullion

38. Moor Allerton

40. Llanymynech rings a bell.

42. Conan Doyle???

43. Enid Blyton

50. Lets go for La Moye.

52. Cape Cornwall

56. S & A

60. Is Brighton a city?

61. Birmingham

64. The Bracken

65. Royal Guernsey

69. East Sussex National

76. St Georges Hill

83. Portrush and Princes

84. Al Waltrous

85. Palmer

87. Simon Gidman

91. Gog Magog

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 07:18:55 AM »
Good fun while waiting for the turkey to cook:

I'll add, with varying degrees of confidence:

4.  Royal Belfast
29.  Royal Autombile Club (RAC), Duff House Royal
42.  Kipling (vs. Marc's Conan-Doyle)
47.  St. Andrews Links Trust
62.  Southerness (vs. Sean's Turnberry)
71.  Nicklaus, Mt. Juliet
74.  Kilarney (Mahoney's Point)
77.  Royal Aberdeen
78.  RAC (again)
82.  Waterville
94.  Royal Burgess
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 07:49:34 AM by Rich Goodale »

ForkaB

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 01:23:04 PM »
Rich, anybody, I need some help!

Ciao

Sean

Sean

I haven't started looking at any books yet, but Cornish and Whitten should get you another 15-20 answers easily.  After that, look in Mark's own posts 1-2 years ago on the courses of Britain.

Happy Boxing Day

Rich

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 11:24:48 AM »
Come on!  No E-mails yet!  Get on with it!

Mike Policano

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 11:33:59 AM »
Mark, Merry Christmas!  Great list of questions.  I have a friend in Dublin who is writing a book on Irish golf.  I gave him your name and now I will give him your little take home test.

Cheers , Mike

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 11:55:24 AM »
Sean,

I have to tell you that I have not been a bugger for many years, as far as I can recall.  Come to that, have I ever been?  It reminds me of that moment in the marriage service when the priest asks 'If any man knows just cause or impediment why this man this woman should not be joined in holy matrimony, ye are to declare it.'  No one found just cause or impediment then (1974) and I don't suppose many have since - well hardly any amongst golf architecture aficionado, as far as I can recall.

Hints?

Come on!  Tom MacWood did this quiz on one reading but has been polite enough not to send his E-mail yet, to give you lot a chance!

M.

ForkaB

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »
Sean

28 is Irvine (Bogside)
100 is probably Royal Perth Golfing Society

5 minutes of Googling is all my doctor allows me these days..... :'(

ForkaB

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 07:59:07 AM »
Cheers Rich

I wasn't sure about #100.  My search only vaguely mentions Royal Perth.  

Man, I thought the question about Harry's hole in one would be easy.  

What do you spose an Open course commemorating an Open course means?  Strange wording.  

I also thought #86 would be easy.  Champagne Tony with two eagles on the same day on the same hole!  I reckon "challenge match" is throwing me off the scent.

Ciao

Sean

Sean

The answer to 31 is Troon (6th hole is named "Turnberry").

I'm not sure about Perth either, but I'm not driving up their in a snowstorm just to look for ruins of a bloody monastery!

Happy Hogmanay

Rich

Alfie

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:54 AM »
Mark,

Just to say thanks for the quiz and your effort in compiling it.
I think I got about 12 off the top of my head when I first looked ! Humbling to know, what little we know about golf ?

Happy New Year to you and yours', and all at gca.com.

Alfie.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 09:41:44 AM »
A few hints:

Sean
28: The course in Oxford is on the east side of the city, off Divinity Road (lovely name - I once knew a theologian who lived there), off the Cowley Road, was designed by a one-time lawyer and is girt about with a military barracks, housing and allotments.

31: Commemorates is perhaps too strong a word - on one Open course another is alluded to.

36: This is a 9-hole course and was, I think, designed by Vardon.

37: Read your Donald Steel

86: A heathland course, with views of the sea, which has had much exemplary conservation work done in recent years to restore the views, encourage the heather and generally keep it up with the best in the region.

100: This is a very historic site, the Carthusian monastery being perhaps the least remarkable historic connection.  In its day it was something on an architectural novelty (th course, not the clubhouse).

100 isn't Royal Perth.

29 isn't RAC.

42 isn't Kipling.

71 isn't Mt Juliet.

1 isn't Boomer, but Sean's got the right idea.

7 was a Duke, but not that one.

17 - wrong.

23 Right area, wrong course.

I'm now required to assemble one of those flat packs, so no more help for the time being.

Happy New Year when it comes!

Mark.

Marc Haring

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »
Q 44. that Sanderman port thing. No way it's Stoke Park. I used to work there for years and there was not a bean about port and besides it's not a links.

Q 86. I've got now. It must be Parkstone. Alliss' course, #4 is a short par four that can be driven and they have opened up the views recently. Yep sure on that one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back