News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

I get so sick of guys ranting on they've played Augusta 42 times and stayed in the Butler Cabin.  shit, keep it to yourself.

I did not mean to imply that I had ever played Augusta...I do wish we had a benevolent member who would have groups of us down for two or three day outings.  The discussions and shot making would be unmatched on any other course.  I honestly believe we could play the just the 13th as a group over and over from sun up to sun down and then putt and chip all night.   I don't think we would do that at the 16th at Cypress or any other hole in the country....ANGC is simply the most interesting course in the country, which makes it the best.

John Kavanaugh

For starters, because it's not the same course it was in 1992.

Sorry, my good friend...but it still beats anything you ever built, changes or no...You'd be lucky to build a single green as good.

Tom,

I hope you find an apology from me under your tree.  I'm sure you could build greens as good if you ever found an owner that would let you build them for a once a year tournament of the best players in the game.  Merry Christmas..

A_Clay_Man

As designed I'd agree, but if you take a thoughtful design, and ruin the principles behind that design. How could it be?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:52:24 AM by Adam Clayman »

Dan King

John Kavanaugh writes:
I honestly believe we could play the just the 13th as a group over and over from sun up to sun down and then putt and chip all night.  I don't think we would do that at the 16th at Cypress or any other hole in the country....ANGC is simply the most interesting course in the country, which makes it the best.

Why are you keeping up this charade? This group could go out to Delaveaga's par-5 10th hole and have a ball playing that hole, and it would be just as much fun playing back from green to tee, something that the 13th at ANGC can't claim.

Dan King
Let me tell you a little story? I once knew a guy who could have been a great golfer, could have gone pro, all he needed was a little time and practice. Decided to go to college instead. Went for four years, did pretty well. At the end of his four years, his last semester he was kicked out... You know what for? He was night putting, just putting at night with the fifteen-year-old daughter of the Dean.
 --Ty Webb

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Dan is the head pro at Delavega still a lady (I cant remember is/was her name Analisa maybe)?  She was there when I used to live in the bay area 1992.  I used to like coming down to the course, that and I think I might have been in love with her as well (maybe that was why I liked to go down there and play).

I wondered if she was still there?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 09:40:31 AM by Turboe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John_Cullum

Who among the above critics would turn down a membership at this tree infested, overwatered goat hill?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Patrick_Mucci

How 'bout because it is a one dimensional, ultra linear, non-strategic, execution based, over dressed, over greened, pimped out, tree riddle, over grown pine grove which, now serves to remind us that great greens cannot carry the full burden of a golf course!

Jim,

Some deranged individual, who knows nothing about architecture, has broken into your house and is using your computer and posting on GCA.com..

TEPaul isn't in town, is he ?
[/color]

Patrick_Mucci

If ANGC is the best course in America, then America doesn't deserve to have a course in the world's top 20. ::)

If the Masters was at San Francisco CC, it would be in the top 10 in the world & Augusta wouldn't even make the top 30.

You must be kidding.

Please, please, tell me that TEPaul has broken into your house as well.
[/color]

cary lichtenstein

no one, absolutely no one would turn down a membership at Augusta ;D or probably any of the top 50 to 100 courses, althought  I met someone who resigned Shinnecock to join National
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 12:28:46 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

no one, absolutely no one would turn down a membership at Augusta ;D or probably any of the top 50 to 100 courses, althought  I met someone who resigned Shinnecock to join National

Why havn't you joined Prarie Dunes...

Patrick_Mucci

JakaB,

I think ANGC suffers from the "denial of one's legacy" syndrome.

People on this site don't want to acknowledge the architectural genius that lies at its core.

It remains a great golf course, although, I"d agree with others in lamenting the architectural direction the golf course has taken more recently.

The fact is, it's unique, it's the site of one of the MAJOR's, and it's the site every year.

It is scrutinized more than any other golf course, by more people, year in and year out, and if I called any of the harsh critics and said meet me at the airport tomorrow we're going to ANGC for two days, you can bet that they'd be at the airport five to twenty four hours early.

With respect to whatever your were drinking, might I suggest a change in spirits.  Unspiked Egg Nog is a favorite.
Failing that, might I remind you of the modify or delete prompts regarding your posts.

Tom Doak,

View JakaB's comment as that of an idiot savant, or one suffering from Tourettes Syndrome.

It was an unfortunate incident, hopefully, we'll all put it behind us.

Robert Thompson

It is scrutinized more than any other golf course, by more people, year in and year out, and if I called any of the harsh critics and said meet me at the airport tomorrow we're going to ANGC for two days, you can bet that they'd be at the airport five to twenty four hours early.

Tom Doak,

View JakaB's comment as that of an idiot savant, or one suffering from Tourettes Syndrome.

As for your first point, Pat, that really wasn't what John was asking. Of course anyone asked would join. Does that make it the best course in the world? No. But I've been there and yes, even with the changes it would be great fun to play on a regular basis.

As for the point about Mr. Kavanagh being an "idiot savant," I think losing the second part would be closer to the truth.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

John Kavanaugh

Pat,

I'm a bad architectural drunk..but at least if I ever get in a program and have to make amends I should get to see some great courses...I'd even hug Childs at Fenway if need be.  The problem I have had in the past with deleting posts is that the content grows in its absence.  It's just better to let the dirty laundry hang out there in all its glory instead of throwing it into the rumor hamper..

PJKoenig

Why do you guys keep responding to this idiot???????????

Jim Thompson

Pat,

So many times we talk about optimizing a site.  ANGC now falls dreadfully short of its potential.  Hence, it is no longer longer numero uno in my book.  Just as a track like Yale can fall victim to a lack of attention so to can a course fall victim to to much attention.

Mark,

It is a great stadium, but wearing the Army hat during 0-13 seasons is real tough.  Not to mention the cash I keep losing to my Navy pals on an annual basis.  

John,

Did that stir the pot enough for you r do you wabt me to tee up a couple more for you.  I never knew the quality of the cuisine and the erection level of ones nipples wer valid criteria for the evaluating a course.  Guess I didn't get the memo. ;D

Slainte Mhor and Merry Christmas!!!!!!

JT
Jim Thompson

Patrick_Mucci

Jim Thompson,

ANGC always served two masters.

Unfortunately, it seems to have weighted its service toward a premier Major event that must test the greatest golfers in the world.

I wonder how many courses could meet that challenge year in and year out, and remain unchanged for 72 years.

John_Cullum

Why do you guys keep responding to this idiot???????????

Which idiot?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mike_Young

John,
ANGC is the greatest course in the United States.  
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill Gayne

ANGC is the best major championship course in the USA. The members have an awesome responsibility and privilege in hosting a major championship every year. The Masters is USC football, Duke Basketball, Micheal Jordan in the 80s. The expectation is a great performance every time out and by the way they are over hyped and over exposed. The ANGC membership hosts a major championship that consistently delivers.

Pinehurst has had a couple of great championships but the ANGC does it every year. The only other major championship course in the USA that I think could potentially produce a great championship every year and reinvent itself is Shinnecock.

Pat Howard

It's seems that there are two different discussions going on in this thread. I have no problem putting ANGC on the list of the best championship courses in the nation, it hosts a great tourney every year and always provides lasting memories for fans and players alike.

But saying it's the "greatest course in the USA" is a joke, and even the author of this comment admitted to being drunk when he said this. :)  If given the opportunity to host a major every year, with it being the only tournament held there and having the course closed for maintence for a large majority of the rest of the year, I wonder how many other courses would also do a great job. My guess is quite a few. No doubt ANGC is a great course, but saying it's the best without room for debate is plain ignorant.

Mike_Young

John,
ANGC is the greatest course in the United States.  
Mike
I think the added length will make it a even greater course
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 01:08:56 PM by Mike_Young »

Ken Fry

Mike,

I'd be curious to hear you rationale.

Ken

Mike_Young

Ken,
No rationale...just agreeing with JK.....
Merry Christmas
Mike

Ken Fry

Ken,
No rationale...just agreeing with JK.....
Merry Christmas
Mike

That sounds dangerous.  Merry Christmas Mike!

Merry Christmas Jaka!

A_Clay_Man

Mike Young, I do not intend to be a dick here, but how is Barneys statement having never played the course, reconcile with your position agreeing with kelly, on the Rod Whittman Lorne Rubenstein piece ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back