News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Neat aerials
« on: December 23, 2005, 03:01:24 PM »
My dad flew into NE Philly this morning and got some nice aerials for us Philly types.

Name the courses!

My favorite

Tillie!

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Neat aerials
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »
Is it cheating if I answer?   :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 03:08:33 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 03:07:15 PM »
lol I know you know
We know you know...

So yes  :P

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 03:08:45 PM »
The first photograph shows from left to right Sandy Run, Manufacturers and LuLu.

The second is, I think, Philadelphia Cricket Club and Sunnybrook, right?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:10:27 PM »
That snow in the shaded areas makes it look like a bunch of long, waste bunkers.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 05:24:42 PM »
Wayne,

Both Philly Cricket courses are visible, Sunnybrook is on the edge of the picture.

Everything else is spot on!

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 06:59:25 PM »
Do you think there is a glut of private courses in that neck of the woods?  Despite the high quality of golf it seems like the courses over there are having more difficulties than on our side of the Schuykill.  What do you think?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 07:07:28 PM »
Wayne,

I am inclined to agree. A discerning eye can also make out the edge of North Hill Country Club (within a mile of Lulu/Manny's).

North of the turnpike, Squire's, Talamore, Old York and Commonwealth are all within 2 miles of each other and maybe 4 miles from Lulu/Manny's.

To the west is Whitemarsh, Philly Cricket, Sunnybrook, Sandy Run, and The ACE Club.

Throw in Spring Mill, Huntingdon Valley, Doylestown, Jericho, Lookaway, Philmont, Torresdale within 10 miles.

Couple that with a void in public golf (Five Ponds, Horsham Valley, Fairways, Island Green, Bucks County Country Club, and Makefield Highlands, with the latter one being the only one really worth the price) and you have a very saturated private club market.

Aggresive newcomers like Talamore are attemping to keep the bottom line up with a dozen different types of membership that feature certain amounts of rounds and range privileges for members at the older clubs. All watering down the amount of golf one plays at their "home" club.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:08:24 PM by Kyle Harris »

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 07:28:02 PM »
That is a lot of private golf.  Nineteen withing 10 miles of each other!  Twenty if you include Green Valley.

What do we have over here within 10 miles?  Philadelphia Country, McCall Field, Merion, Llanerch, Rolling Green, Bala, Aronimink, Overbrook, Radnor Valley, St. David's and Gulph Mills.  Half as many.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 07:29:54 PM »
Wayne,

I think the "type" of club is important as well. I'd imagine most of those clubs are of the older equity/low dues-long waiting list type.

Heck, Radnor Valley is the newest, and that was built during the 1960s, right?

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 07:33:29 PM »
Some of those north-side clubs are pretty old too.  Philadelphia Cricket, Whitemarsh (goes back to Mt. Airy), Huntingdon Valley (Noble), Sunnybrook, LuLu, Philmont, Torresdale, Doylestown are all amongst the older clubs in the area.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 07:36:01 PM »
Yeah, I knew that... but there seems to be a large influx of the newer corporate type club up here than down there.

Lookaway is the only "equity based" club built in the past 40 years in the area. Their membership model is more like Merion's than Talamore's or Commonwealth.

Land prices being what they are probably helps that along. Development in Bucks and Montco (north of the turnpike, at least) is comparatively recent than in Delco and Chester County.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 07:54:08 PM »
There may be one less in the eastern montco area. One public may be for sale soon.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 08:13:02 PM »
Three cheers for your Dad.  He is as obsessed as the rest of us... ;) :D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 11:16:46 PM »
RJ,

My dad's never touched a club in his life... he was playing with his new digital camera.  :)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 01:17:41 PM »
Kyle, at least he has a lot of potential... ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 03:01:53 PM »
I know we've had this discussion before, but has Philadelphia a greater number of great courses within its compass than London, Melbourne, Edinburgh, New York, Liverpool, San Francisco, Toronto....?  It may depend on the radius from the centre.  Anyone want to have a shot?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 03:02:12 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 03:48:30 PM »
I know we've had this discussion before, but has Philadelphia a greater number of great courses within its compass than London, Melbourne, Edinburgh, New York, Liverpool, San Francisco, Toronto....?  It may depend on the radius from the centre.  Anyone want to have a shot?

Mark-

In the interest of being holiday spirited, I will refrain from comment...I'm a little biased  ;) and don't want the Philadelphia contingent to pile into a car, or, given their size, Winnebago  ;D ;)  and come to my house this evening, inviting me out to a diner for some holiday cheer...  ;)

Although, I will say this, and take this as a friendly challenge, Philadelphia GCA'ers; I would love a friendly GCA event pitting a side of Philadelphia-area GCA'ers versus a side of New York-area GCA'ers.  

I have mentioned this to Kyle in passing...I wonder how the sides would match up?  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 03:49:48 PM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 03:53:06 PM »
Doug,  I'd like to be the starter for this match - certainly not the umpire!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 04:56:10 PM »
Philadelphia:
Kyle Harris
Wayne Morrison
Mike Malone
Mike Cirba
Jim Sullivan
Tom Paul
Steve Shaffer
Craig Rokke

New Jersey:
Doug Braunsdorf
Pat Mucci
Matt Ward
(Blanking on other names)

I'd be keen on starting on event. Have a host course alternate between years.

wsmorrison

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 05:16:50 PM »
What about that crafty crusty veteran Bill Dow?  And let's not forget Mike Trenham, Jim Coleman, John Gosselin and our anchor Jamie Slonis!

I think the inaugural event should be held at Huntingdon Valley CC.  No rater comps of course  ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 05:19:26 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 05:29:20 PM »
Wayne-

We have other GCA'ers from up north, Mike Policano, Steve Lapper.   We also have the NY'ers on our side--Jason Blasberg, Dr. Childs are the only ones I know of currently.  You guys have Jason Mandel, and also get Dr. Bill as well.  

BTW--I've never met the man, but does Jamie Slonis have a NJ or PA driver's license?  
It's bad enough you think your city extends into Clementon, NJ  ;)  

I don't know what's next  ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 05:30:23 PM by Douglas R. Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 05:34:58 PM »
Good call Wayne, I did forget Jamie and Bill!

We should really consider setting this up. Early May perhaps? We can play for the Delaware River, or ownership of Shawnee or something.

As for divisions: Perhaps GAP clubs or maybe the Philly Section clubs v. the Met clubs?

wsmorrison

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
Listen big guy, if your team gets Westchester, Northern Joisey and Long Island, you're not going to give us Pine Valley which is only 8 miles from Billy Penn?  By the way, Jaime is in GAP.  The distance from Jaime (East) to Tom Paul (West) is a lot less than the distances you're talking about.  

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 10:34:37 PM »
Steve Sayers aint bad either or Mark Fine and the Herrmanns.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back