News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Enlighten me - #18 at CPC
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 05:24:07 PM »
"The last hole takes us along a very narrow route back to the clubhouse. This hole will require better play than the others, and while it is short, it is amazingly difficult and is, perhaps, in its contours and landscape, the most beautiful hole in the world."
                                           ----Robert Hunter

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »
It's 335 yards.  Can't you just hit a 3-iron, then punch a 9-PW up the hill?  Or do you have to fly a tree with a 5-wood?

Yes on the first part but it is quite a bit uphill for your second so it might be more than a 9 or PW.

However, it you hit a 3i to the long and to the left side of the fairway, then the tree on the left overhangs the fairway and you might have to hit something low and drawing.

I when I mention clearing the trees left, I mean from the outside of the dogleg to the green.  The trees on the left for the first 200 yards are a non-strategy issue.

I don't think this is a bad way to finish the round.  The shot requirements are very precise, with a high fading fairway wood being ideal.  A double cross 3-iron gets you in less trouble though.  Then you may have to punch a low hook in there, a shot I feel is an accurate shot.  Just aim for the right bunkers and lean into it!  Trickle putt down for tap-in par.

It's just hard.  My motto these days is :"it's gotta be hard somewhere."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 06:58:06 PM »
Mike and Brian re: 3 iron which might get in trouble left.

I can tell you, based on my two rounds at CPC, that the absolutely worst play here is trying to hit a cut into the fairway and shoving it behind those trees on the right.  The first time I had a very difficult chip just trying to get back into the fairway, the last time I luckily hit the tee ball so far right I could play up that way and at least got in the general vicinity of the green for a bogey.

I think after the incredible adventure of 1-17, particularly the excitement of 15-17, that the tee shot at 18 needs special concentration.  Both times I played CPC I struggled on 16 and 17 and the problems carried right onto the 18th tee!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 06:58:32 PM by Bill_McBride »

Michael Robin

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 07:48:12 PM »
From Mr. Shackelford's book, "The 18th is oftened criticized, but Mackenzie's intention was simple. Build a stern closing hole that required two well-struck shots to reach the final green. It was not a hole of subtle
or intricate strategic interest like others on the course, just a tough finish
to help decide matches".

There is also a sketch of the Suspension Bridge that was to lead to a tee
50 yards behind the back tee, but it never was built. That would have been quite a finish!  

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 07:52:32 PM »
It might not be the best hole, I'll admit it, but at least you can see the ocean ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back