News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Victoria National Golf Club
« on: December 22, 2005, 04:11:36 PM »
Gentleman,
  I know that this is a fan favorite for most on GCA that have had a chance to play it. I'm looking for opinions as to what y'all think makes it a Top 25 in the US. I know that it's a 1999 Tom Fazio in Newburgh, IN that is hosting the Senior Am in 2006, L-93 on Tees, greens and fwys. I believe one of our GCA members set up a little event there several years ago in the fall....looking for details. They have a position on their maintenance team and I'm looking to gain any info. Merry X-Mas!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Huckaby

Re:Victoria National Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »
Sounds like a neat course - wish I knew a member there.

;)

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »
Anthony,

You better be ready to work in the cold, yesterday in the time it took me to walk nine holes the boys laid a full semi load of sod.  If you want to fly and talk to them you can stay with me to keep expenses down...I would concern myself more with the culture shock of southern Indiana than what people think about the course...remember, I was weaned here.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:31:15 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 04:35:42 PM »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:04:31 PM »
John That is so good I am crying. Happy Holidays.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:50:32 PM »
Anthony, The highlights at VN center around the use of the channels (especially the one shotters), the variety of holes, and believe it or not, some classic looking features. The maintenance is standard "high end" with what appeared to me to be, bent fwys with lush blue (or is it rye?) grass rough. This rough does surround most, if not all, of the bunkers. With, or without a diamoond mowing pattern in fwys, I hope you get the "look" i'm trying to convey.

Also, I understand Mr. Meeks came in a few years back and advised a few trees be pruned back.

p.s. Why is the guy fom Louisiana the only one who gets it? ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:54:53 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:55:19 PM »
Adam - rest assured I got it and was busting up also - I just like to limit myself to one blatantly smart-ass and meaningless post per thread.

Just broke my rule.  Dammit.

;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
I thought Barney was serious.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 06:32:29 PM »
Tony,
  I've not been there, but I've heard nothing but good things and love the look of the place from its website. I'm hoping if things work out to maybe get down there in 2006. That probably doesn't help you though  ::)

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 06:51:37 PM »
Aidan

I keep seeing your photos wherever I look.  Thats a good thing.  Cheers.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

kwl

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:05:40 PM »
terry friedman was a successful industrialist who loved golf. he bought property, a reclaimed coal mine, and tom fazio designed him a beauty. water were the coal was mined and mounds are from the 'spoils'. some have said it has a look/feel like ballybunion...

it is a special place. terrific conditioning. difficult from the back tees.

unfortunately, terry hit his last shot there...boarded a plane to Hawaii, and then died.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 07:14:45 PM »
One of the probable reason why it is so good Is that TF spent considerable time on site.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »
Adam,
  I've read that. Tom's Company was very busy and he really didn't have an associate at his disposal, so he spent more time there than at most of his stuff. I think that VN should show alot of future owners the importance of actually having the architect you're paying to be on sight other than the opening tee shot!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 07:28:15 PM »
We are very fortunate that Terry was an avid walker...I doubt there is a modern course built on such a difficult site that is still as easy to walk.

btw....Adam, when did we play last year..I know it was cold.

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »
Anthony,

You better be ready to work in the cold, yesterday in the time it took me to walk nine holes the boys laid a full semi load of sod.  If you want to fly and talk to them you can stay with me to keep expenses down...I would concern myself more with the culture shock of southern Indiana than what people think about the course...remember, I was weaned here.

VN looks nice to me.  You rarely know how much you'll like a course unless you play it 2-3 times.  It looks quite difficult to me.  I guess my question would be how easy is it to hit the ball into an unplayable position there.

Are you saying southern Indiana is close to Tennessee?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 07:57:36 PM »
John,

I have played the course at least one hundred times and could count on one hand the rounds that did not include at least one penalty....It takes character to enjoy a good beating.   When I played yesterday I made the fatal mistake of looking at my ball as I teed it up on 18 and thinking this is the ball I started with....a few hundred yards later I passed that same ball as it sat on the ice just a few steps out of my reach...I let the ball go but I did consider the risk of drowning as I tested the ice until it cracked..

The course is a stones throw from Kentucky..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:02:24 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 10:36:09 PM »
and Kentucky is right next to Tennessee,  I mentioned Tennessee because I think of it as being a very religious and Christian state, one where the first question asked after moving there is, "So what church do you and your family belong?"

I'd guess southern Indiana is much the same way, a very conservative,  quiet, rural, Christian, family oriented place.  Would that be fair?

Back to golf.  Pumpkin Ridge - Witch Hollow is much the same way, a difficult course where a good score can be ruined by a couple of two stroke mistakes.  There's really plenty of room, but one bad swing will cost you dearly there.  I will get around using the same ball 25-33% of the time, but I'm a pretty conservative, accurate player.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »
John,

My family is from Kentucky and all we took was our bourbon and our cousins....and both are intoxicating in proper doses..

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 10:54:56 PM »
John, I believe it was the 12th of Dec.  35 degrees w/ 30 mph

Who could ever forget that?

Another memory was how we both made fives on the first, in completely opposite fashions.

Other highlights were meeting Terry's daughter and Gregrie. Is Gregrie still there?

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 10:57:57 PM »
John,

My family is from Kentucky and all we took was our bourbon and our cousins....and both are intoxicating in proper doses..

Woohoo!  Yeah baby.

Maybe we should do a home and home next year.  I'd like to visit that part of the country, but not stay.  Also, which home of mine should we pick?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 11:14:21 PM »
John,

I remember the one time I went to Palm Springs...the waiters were assholes looking for a movie break...I'll have to do a home and home at Ballyneal.   You really should come to Victoria some time this winter...I love the frozen fairways and am taking three guests there tomorrow.   I can guarantee a perfect day in January if you give me 10 days notice..

Adam,

My friends at the Goat still talk about your visit finishing the day barefoot and playing hold'em...I don't remember out first hole at Victoria but I do remember the wald down the third fairway...the wind coming off the water is always a brisk and memorable experience.  Gregorie is still plugging away selling memberships as I can proudly say we are up to 202...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 05:13:32 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 11:15:20 PM »
Sean,

Thank you again for the kind words. I feel fortunate to have found a forum such as this where kindred spirits can make a contribution towards a platform where individuals irrespective of there particular agenda's can share their passion.

Aidan

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 11:47:48 PM »
Aiden:

Some excellent pics.  I wish you had more from Missouri.

As to VN - I thought it was an excellent course.  I was happy though I was hitting fairly straight that day.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:49:39 PM by Steve Pozaric »
Steve Pozaric

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 11:52:46 PM »
Aidan,

Did the club hire you to take those pictures...Funny how you took so many pics from the 15th green and didn't take one looking back to the 14th tee.  One winter I tried quite unsuccessfully to drive the fithteenth green from the 14th tee over the frozen lake.  I really enjoy playing the course backwards and am curious why a professional photographer would take pictures in that manner.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 12:52:55 AM »
John,

In the past, the USGA had a magazine known to all of us as the "Journal". A couple of years ago in there wisdom they decideded to shut it down. Over the years I was fortunate to be chosen with some other fine photographers to photograph what in their wisdom was a "great golf hole". The last assignment I was given was to photograph the 15th at VN which unfortunately never made it to press as they it shut down just before it was to be published. My job was to illustrate one hole, the15th.

As a photographer, I long for the opportunity to return to that wonderful pallette, where I know that I can create very special images, not because of my visual talents, but moreover because of what Mr FrIedman, Mr Fazio, and Mother Natural have provided. As a golfer, no matter how good my game , I know it would be a true test, as every player will attest to when they play in the 2006 Senior Open.

Slainte,

Aidan.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back