News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Boehm

Re:The best Architect
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2005, 12:23:02 PM »
Shivas,
Last year, which was my first year playing golf on a team, I missed the cut to state by like three shots (back when I was a plus-22).  Since then I have joined the WJGA, and have shot something like five rounds in the sixties, including a 66.  The only bad thing is with the low rounds come the high ones as well, and in the past month my last five scores have been  74(plus 5), 67(minus 1), 84(plus 12), 87(plus15), and 79(plus 6).  I hope to get to a plus 3 by the end of February though, when season starts up again for school.  Also, dad is going to start getting me lessons which will help, because I have never had them before ;)

Hi Jordan -

Just wanted to let you know that the +3 handicap Shivas refers to as being necessary to play for your target schools essentially means you are expected to be shoot a 69 on a par 72 (i.e. 69 + 3 = 72), as opposed to shooting 75.

Good luck with your lofty goals - you certainly seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for the game.  I wish I had the time to play 220 rounds each year...I'm jealous.

Mike

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2005, 12:26:04 PM »
Word of advice Jordan your 15 or 16, whichever, you keep referring to a girlfriend allowing you to do this or that, get out of that bunker right now, there's plenty of girl time in your future, don't let them control your time, aspirations, and hobbies right now. Other than that have fun!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2005, 12:35:21 PM »
Mike-

Does that mean a 7 usga hcp. would mean I'm 10 off a plus3?
That would really mean a minus 7 then, right??  
Thanks for advice Kelly ;)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2005, 12:41:26 PM »
I have my parents to thank for my grades.  In middle school, I was a low B student at best.  They were not happy, and it all just blew up when I got in a fight with a kid.  I also got a lot of detentions too.  But I started to play golf, and my parents were pretty much like, we support you playing golf but you cannot play golf, and we will drop you from the team, if you get bad grades.  Since then my golf game and my grades have got up.  I am also taking college classes (as a sophomore ;)) so I can really go for what I want in college.  To be honest, if I had bad grades I know for sure I would not be on this site right now or ever.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2005, 12:52:17 PM »
I have always been an Alister Mckenzie fan.  
JW

Jordan,

Is he related to the other great Scottish architect Alister MacKenzie? ;)

Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 12:55:14 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Boehm

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2005, 02:56:10 PM »
Mike-

Does that mean a 7 usga hcp. would mean I'm 10 off a plus3?
That would really mean a minus 7 then, right??  
Thanks for advice Kelly ;)

Jordan -

That is correct.  The "minus" in front of most of our handicaps is rarely said becuase it is basically implied - very few people ever acheive a plus handicap.  Hopefully, you can be one of the fortunate ones to get there.  Good luck.

Mike

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2005, 02:10:22 PM »
Jordan — It doesn't really matter who the best architect is currently. We can't do much about this lot, because it is difficult to change people. Let's focus on who can be persuaded to become the best. Good luck.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

JNC Lyon

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2005, 04:39:54 PM »
Jordan-

Hello from another teenager on the site.  I hope you enjoy the website as much as I do.  If you have ever been seen drawing golf courses when a class gets too boring for words, people already know you are obsessed, so don't worry about it!  

My biggest word of advice for this site is this: Avoid commenting on golf courses that you have not seen or played, as you will oftentimes find yourself deep in it when those who have played the course in question respond.  I have made this mistake multiple times on this site, and I find it is better to discuss the best courses you have played on your own, even if their aren't world famous.  I know I am always interested to hear about a hidden gem not so far away from where I live!

Therefore, I would revise your Top 10 list to be a "Top Ten most want to see" List, in the same vein as the "Next Fifty" list on this site.  What are the top ten courses you have played?

As for scores in both the sixties and the eighties, don't worry what skeptics say, I see it all the time in junior tournaments.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 04:40:53 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2005, 05:26:29 PM »
You are both bringing me back to my youth. At 13 I published the Golf Course Designer, a journal that I sent to architects around the world. Among my paid subscribers were Muirhead, Finger, Nugent, Jones Sr., Seay, Killian, Gill and F.W. Hawtree. Muirhead often told me never to write about courses I hadn't seen in person...but, like most teenagers, I didn't always listen!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 05:26:49 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2005, 06:13:23 PM »
Jordan:

As the best overall architect, like you, I've always given the edge to Mackenzie and I can give you my reasons why. For greens, from everything I've seen from him I've always given the edge to Perry Maxwell. As the best natural router I think I'd give it to Flynn. For great bunkering and sand area, I know his one and only course was unusual that way naturally but I'd have to go with Crump---although that may be because he basically spent so many years working on his bunkering on that course and believe it or not some of which is still there he actually considered to be temporary!! Maybe there's some lesson in that! ;)  What I'd really like to figure out, though, is who was the best at various degrees of visual deception and subtle visual deception because I feel that's one of the greatest talents of all for really interesting and probably great golf architecture.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 06:15:48 PM by TEPaul »

redanman

« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2005, 10:57:24 AM »
Have you ever heard of Greywolf in Canada?  Is that worth going to as well?  Canada would definitely be fun, and I cant tell you how badly I want to go to Banff Springs.

I'm also thinking about going to Couer D'alene, but no one really talks about it on this site.  Is it worth going to?

Jordan, my lad, my best advice to you

There is no course (not even a clay-based rat-ass muni - CBRAM) not worth visiting as you can always learn something.

If you didn't, you missed it.

p.s. A hearty welcome.  For your own good ignore threads that go past 5 pages or have more than 20 posts each from Tom MacWood and Tom Paul ...... wait, that's redundant.

8)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 10:59:28 AM by redanman® aka BillV »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2005, 07:27:08 PM »
Top 10 I've Played, seen personally, or walked

1. Cypress Point seen
2. Pebble Beach walked
3. Sahalee 1998-PGA
4. Kapalue Plantation played
5. Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek, I think its called ;)) played
6. PGA West Stadium walked
7. Bay Hill walked
8. TPC Scottsdale walked
9. Black Mesa walked
10. Paa Ko Ridge walked

Anyways, most of the courses I have walked with relatives before I started playing golf.  I was still interested in seeing the courses though, thank heavens... ;)  Anyways, my other top 10 is of courses I have studied much as I can (though hard without really seeing them) but I have made various notes of different things Ive seen (strategy wise, aesthetic wise, playability wise, etc) and that is my top 10 :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY :) ;) :)

SPDB

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2005, 08:22:42 PM »
Jordan - In an earlier post, on another thread, you said the following:

I've never been to Europe so I would probably go to Scotland.  Of course I havent been to the Monterey Peninsula or Australia either...

How have you at once "seen" and "walked" CPC and PBGL while never having been to the Monterey Peninsula???
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 08:23:01 PM by SPDB »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2005, 09:44:07 PM »
Excuse me...what I meant by that was that i had never played there.  I have seen Cypress Point and rode in a cart at Pebble with my uncle.  This was five years ago.  Cypress Point I saw from the Parking Lot and like I said I rode in a cart with my uncle.  All I meant by that was I had never played there before.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2005, 01:10:27 AM »
Excuse me...what I meant by that was that i had never played there.  I have seen Cypress Point and rode in a cart at Pebble with my uncle.  This was five years ago.  Cypress Point I saw from the Parking Lot and like I said I rode in a cart with my uncle.  All I meant by that was I had never played there before.

When you were ten, hunh?  Four years before you took up golf?  

Fellow GCA.com-ers, this is a joke.  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 01:11:57 AM by Jim Nugent »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back