News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

what if right now Santa gave you a trip to play golf.....
« on: December 22, 2005, 09:50:55 AM »
...anywhere in the world for one full week and play all the courses in the area..where would you go?  

my first thought:  Australia/New Zealand...the fact that its summetime may have something to do with that, I'm not sure..

it also intrigues me that T. Doak said in his  Confidential Guide tha Royal Melbourne may be the best course in the world, and I think Jeff B. said the same thing in a recent post

how about you?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

Re:what if right now Santa gave you a trip to play golf.....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 09:54:37 AM »
Paul - I'm right there with you - Australia/NZ.  Only I'd take Santa's week and add another on my own dime.

;D

BUT... for me that's because I've already experienced all that I need to - pretty much - in Scotland and Ireland.  If I hadn't done that yet already, it would be one of those.

TH

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:54:52 AM »
If the area is relatively confined, then it would be Bandon.

If the area is somewhat bigger and I have full access, it would by NY/NJ.

If the area is REALLY bigger and I have full access, it would be Scotland and Ireland.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 09:57:25 AM »
Whoa... AGC makes a great caveat... If full access no matter what was part of Santa's gift, then for me it would be tough to turn down a full week at Augusta.  Failing that I'll take Long Island, NY or Clementon, NJ thank you very much.

;D

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:02:18 AM »

If I had one week and full access it would be Long Island... (wins over Monterey)

If I had 2 weeks then it would be Scotland.. (wins over Australia)

2 days? Bandon.

1 day?  Sand Hills. (One can dream)

Paul Payne

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 10:04:28 AM »
I am surprising myuself by saying this, but if given full access anywhere, I'd probably skip Augusta. I've walked it a number of times and as much as I admire it, I could not say it would be my once in a lifetime destination.

On the other hand I would take the tour of Long Island (full access) or I would very much like to swing through New Zealand, Australia, and Tasmania.

Thanks Santa, you've made a believer out of me.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 10:05:39 AM »
the rule is:  you get one full week to play anywhere "in the area"...but say you first go to Dornoch and then want to go to Ireland, that travel time counts against your week.... but flying to and from your original destination DOES NOT

Huck, I have never been across the pond, so one would logically think that would be my first choice....again, that fact that it's summer down there now subconciously made me think of Down Under first, I'm guessing..

...but "THE BEST COURSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD"
might be down there too...that certainly is HIGHLY intriguing, and if understand correctly one can get access to it...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 10:11:25 AM »
Paul, with all due respect to Mr. Doak and with full love and admiration for all Aussies, well... the best course on this planet is in Mullen, Nebraska.

;D

But the lure of Royal Melbourne is powerful.

I'm just not sure how logistically feasible it would be to play RM + the several other greats near it in the sandbelt area + the great new courses in Tasmania and NZ, all in one week.... Thus my willingness to add to Santa's gift on my own dime.   ;D

In any case, 7 days on the ground golf time in Scotland could be spent VERY well, and could easily include Royal Dornoch.  You fly into Edinburgh, play whatever you wish around that area, move northward and play any or all of Royal Abderdeen, Cruden Bay, Nairn, Lossiemouth, etc... end up at Royal Dornoch, fly out of Inverness.

One could also make a great circle of Ireland in that time frame.

Kinda hard to have a BAD trip however one does this!

TH

Ken Fry

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »
One trip around any course won't be enough.  I've heard from too many highly regarded architects and students of architecture that a study of The Old Course is a must.  Give me 36 a day for a week and let the study begin!

Ken

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 10:12:45 AM »
Tough question...but assuming that the time of year weather issues were not a factor, I'd take Long Island...so much GREAT golf in a relatively confined space means lots of choices day after day for that week.

If the trip had to happen RIGHT NOW and current weather patterns DID have to be taken into consideration, then I agree that Australia/New Zealand might be just the ticket.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Paul Payne

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 10:18:23 AM »
Tom,

I agree 100% on your Mullen comment, at least from my experience. That is exactly why I did not choose SH. I've already spent three days there. As much as I LOVED the course, I feel I have to spread my wings a bit.

By the way, in an earlier thread my golf superhero feat was shooting eagle on SH #4....... I just love saying that.

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 10:20:20 AM »
Long Island is another great idea...man what a neighborhood for golf that is, which is only getting better with Sebonac...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 10:22:07 AM »
Tom,

I agree 100% on your Mullen comment, at least from my experience. That is exactly why I did not choose SH. I've already spent three days there. As much as I LOVED the course, I feel I have to spread my wings a bit.

By the way, in an earlier thread my golf superhero feat was shooting eagle on SH #4....... I just love saying that.

Holey moley - you made a deuce on #4?  That's bow-down and worship material.  Well done.   ;D

And I was sorely tempted to just list Sand Hills myself.  Let's just say that if Santa offered a week there I sure as hell would get on the next plane.  But I too want to spread my wings, and figure Santa won't be offering this again next year.

;)

Eric Franzen

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 10:22:32 AM »
Instead of rushing from course to course I would love to play 36 a day at Pine Valley for a week.

What a great oppourtunity to gain a deeper sense of all the unique nuances of this particular course.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 10:27:15 AM »
Eric - good call - that's why I listed Clementon, NJ as one of my choices.  I generally prefer variety over the study of any one course - but if there was one at which I could happily spend a week playing it and only it, it would be Pine Valley.

Either that or Augusta.

I would say NGLA also, but man the lure of Shinnecock and Sebonack within sight might drive me mad.

;)

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 10:29:18 AM »
Great question. Long Island is my answer and is tough to think of a second, maybe San Francisco. Olympic, San Francisco, Harding Park and Lake Merced. I think that would keep me busy until I run up to Pasatiempo and the Peninsula

Matt MacIver

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 10:45:12 AM »
Fun question.  I would probably choose Scotland or Ireland first, then Long Island....the experience one gets after 36 holes each night in a Scottish or Irish pub trumps most anything I can think of on Long Island.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 10:48:05 AM »
Fun question.  I would probably choose Scotland or Ireland first, then Long Island....the experience one gets after 36 holes each night in a Scottish or Irish pub trumps most anything I can think of on Long Island.  

I'd agree with that trumping... but then again I spent a memorable - and un-rememberable - hammered night with two gents in Southampton who shall go nameless for now.  Add them or those like them to my LI week and it's right up there with the great pubs of anywhere in Ireland or Scotland.

But that is a VERY valid issue, in any case.  Man does not play golf at night.  At least not on purpose.

;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:49:09 AM by Tom Huckaby »

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 10:51:17 AM »
you can play at least somewhat into the night at Dornoch, Huck..doesn't the sun stay up til around 10 there?!??

a cool idea:  on my THIRD round of the day when I do get there bring out some flasks while playing...wow, does that sound cool or what!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 10:51:29 AM »
I've never been to Europe so I would probably go to Scotland.  Of course I havent been to the Monterey Peninsula or Australia either...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »
you can play at least somewhat into the night at Dornoch, Huck..doesn't the sun stay up til around 10 there?!??

a cool idea:  on my THIRD round of the day when I do get there bring out some flasks while playing...wow, does that sound cool or what!

Very good points.  But at some point it does get dark, and one does get tired.   ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 11:01:22 AM »
Given the time of the year, Aus/New Zealand is the place I would like to go
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ben Voelker

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 12:09:43 PM »
It seems that a few years from now, Central Nebraska/South Dakota might not be a bad bet.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 12:31:36 PM »
Initially Oz tripped out of my mouth.  However, travelling 20+ hours each way for one week is out of the question.  

This brings me to Long Island and thereabouts.  I have always held Shinny as one of the three ultimate American must sees.  There are loads of other courses that can be had nearby.  Almost seems like a dream come true.  Yet somehow, I still have some doubts.  Would it all become just a blur?

There is London.  The mix of links and heather is very appealing.  Plus, I can get a few decent meals in a grand city which I have grown rather fond of.  There are so many courses, much like Long Island, that I may feel obliged to make the rounds a bit too much.  Fighting traffic would be a drag as well.  No, I certainly need to be somewhere where I travel in my time.

Playing North Berwick and Muirfield for a week is also a mouth watering proposition.  Hanging out in Edinburgh is no hardship either.  The problem is that I have played these two many times over.  There would be few surprises.  

I spose there is always the option of playing one course for a week straight.  Maybe Sand Hills would do the job.  Does the club have on site accomodation?  Is there a pleasant bar where old world wine can be had?  Does the bar have views?  Is the membership a load of happy chappies?  The right three affirmatives would probably settle the question for me.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 12:32:38 PM »
Sean,
...he already did, about two weeks ago.

;D
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back