News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Nixon

What really makes Bethpage successful?
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:04 AM »
Article posted yesterday on one writer's opinion about why Bethpage is so successful. He quotes the park's director as to three reasons: "The first factor is the courses are magnificently designed," Catalano says, praising the courses' architects, A.W Tillinghast and Devereux Emmet. "No. 2 is we're centrally located. And No. 3 is our rates are extraordinarily reasonable."

Seems to me he missed one - being located in the most populous metro area in the country that is, as far as I know, greatly underserved in the affordable public golf sphere. Would Bethpage be as noteworthy or "successful" if it were located in, say, Indianapolis, Myrtle Beach, or Florida?

The article:

Dec 12, 2005  
By: Larry Aylward  
Golfdom Insider  

What do you get when you combine black, red, blue, yellow and green? A whole lot of golf, as in Bethpage State Park located in Farmingdale, N.Y., on Long Island about 30 miles from Manhattan.

Bethpage State Park, including the Black Course, is a beehive of a golf activity.

If only the industry could clone Bethpage and its five municipal golf courses named after colors. Then golf would be a huge success story as far as rounds and revenue go.

Bethpage is a beehive for golfers, about 50,000 of them a year. It has been sold out since 1958. The only thing that puts a damper on rounds at Bethpage is Mother Nature.

There are three reasons for its astounding success, says David Catalano, director of Bethpage State Park.

"The first factor is the courses are magnificently designed," Catalano says, praising the courses' architects, A.W Tillinghast and Devereux Emmet. "No. 2 is we're centrally located. And No. 3 is our rates are extraordinarily reasonable."

No kidding. New York residents can play the Black Course, a U.S. Open venue, for $39 during the week and $49 on the weekend.

Bethpage and its bargain rates attract an array of golfers. "Kids, old people, men, women, black, white, Asian. You name it," Catalano says.

The courses combine for between 1,300 and 1,500 rounds a day. "Rounds were up this year where most of the competition around us was down," Catalano says.

Not to say that it doesn't have any problems and issues to deal with, but Bethpage defines a successful public golf operation.

"If anybody wanted a picture of what public golf is really all about, I think Bethpage would be the best place in the world to go to get that picture," Catalano says.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:18:40 AM by John Nixon »

John Kavanaugh

Re:What really makes Bethpage successful?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 09:21:21 AM »
John,

The Colts aren't even hardly successful in Indianapolis...so no, Bethpage would not be either.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:59:14 AM »
I would like to see a Bethpage type complex in Philadelphia. So the answer to your question is a YES.

Instead, there are scattered munis of varying interest. Cobbs Creek and Karakung are adjacent courses so that's our big complex.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 10:02:27 AM »
 Steve,

Don't you think there could be some wonderful courses in Fairmount Park ,  off of Lincoln Dr.?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:07:07 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 10:08:22 AM »
Purgatory seems to me like it is 30 minutes outside of Indianapolis...I would guess that it would be more successful if it were 30 minutes outside of Manhattan.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:09:55 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 10:20:08 AM »
I"d like to see anybody get from midtown Manhattan to Bethpge in 30 minutes, by car.

Just getting to Exit 44 S on the LIE can take a lifetime, and that assumes that you've been able to get to and get across the Tri-Boro Bridge or through the Midtown Tunnel within 30 minutes.

Farmingdale isn't Long Island City.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 10:23:32 AM »
Pat-

What time of day do you travel?   ;)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 10:48:02 AM »
Doug,

When playing golf ?

During the day.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:55:32 AM »
John Nixon,
The median household income for a New Yorker is ca. 55k, the MHI for Nassau & Suffolk ctys. is 88k. 39 or 49 bucks per round is a bargain for golf at a course like the Black.  
Golfers play ca. 80% of their golf within 20 miles of their homes. Put a complex like Bethpage near any reasonably sized population and you'd have a winner.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 11:00:42 AM »
Mike

Certainly, the Lincoln Drive and Belmont Plateau areas of Fairmount Park would present great venues and vistas for golf. I guess my point was that the Philly munis developed in the neighborhoods as the city is neighborhood oriented. I don't think at  the time the munis were built there was the foresight or the land to build a 5 course complex like Bethpage. Wasn't part of Cobbs taken for the driving range/miniature golf facility on City Line? It would be great if Cobbs/Karakung were in decent shape. The City doesn't understand that you have spend money to make money.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 04:29:56 PM »
As a regular at The Black, the price has gone up to almost $90 in high season on wkds...but $54 is more reasonable during the week.

After further review, the play stands as called, I hate every pther course there except the Black.  The Blue and Red bore me to tears.  Bad angles and holes that are too similar for my liking.
The Black however is another matter entirely.  Here's what I like about the Black - the ROUTING and its walking only.

First, its out and back.  Next, only twice do consecutive holes run in the same direction...once at four and five and again at 13 and 14...and that doesnt matter as much since 14 is a par 3.

The first four holes all run in completely different directions...wind issue...(good!)

The variety of the par-4s is terrific.  Hard dog-leg right, then gentle bend left, then the famous fifth, then the cool obtuse angle dog-leg right sharp downhill 6th...and on and on...great variety.  Not everything devolves into driver-three wood-wedge affairs for shorter hitters.

Then the last four holes are a great finish.  Two par-4 and a halfs, the tough 17th and the birdieable 18th.

The fact that its walking only keeps beer toting chumps out of the equation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back