News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:# 17 at Sand Hills
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2005, 12:29:46 PM »
Dammit Gene.

Of course you are right.

It's funny how painful and joyful that memory is, all at the same time.

;D ;D

Michael Hayes

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 12:42:25 PM »
Bob & Adam,

If Hogan did not hit a 1 iron at Merion, what club did he hit?

Are you trying to tell me that I hit that 1 iron for years in vain...emulating the great Hogan... :'(  I am pretty sure it wasn't the hybrid I hit now! :-\
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »
Bob,
Sorry I missed your humor.  It's sometimes hard to tell who is serious and who is not.  

I trust Pat was joking as well with some of this comments  ;)

By the way, what did Hogan hit into #18?  I know it wasn't a 7I or 8I.
Mark

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »
Mark,

According to Hogan himself, in conversation with his chronicler at the time, Dan Jenkins, it was a two iron.

Bob

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2005, 02:24:02 PM »
In his biography "Ben Hogan, An American Lifve," James Dodson says the shot was hit with a 1-iron, which was stolen after the round, along with his shoes.

"....there were some who later contended that the missing club was actually a two-iron Hogan fired so exquisitely to the final hole. Hogan himself said as much in 'Five Lessons,' the famous instruction book he later wrote with Herbert Warren Wind, although Hogan eventually insisted that the club had been a one-iron and the copy in the book was a typographical error. George fazio, for one, who stood nearby in the gallery and watched Hogan execute the shot, always maintained it was a two-iron he used, and so did veteran New York sportswriter Al Laney, who was also standing near the scene. Many years later, a member of Shady Oaks Country Club also swore Hogan personaly told him it had been a two-iron. Future USGA President Bill Campbell, on the other hand, who was in the gallery directly behind golf's most mythical shot, says there's no doubt that it was one-iron.

"In hopes of clearing up the confusion, Merion members eventually wrote to the man himself, asking for clarification on the club he used that onforgettable afternoon, as well as for better particulars on how the club and shoes were wandering off into the mists of legend. Hogan wrote promptly back to the Merion membership: "It was a one-iron I played to the 72nd green. After hitting my shot, my one-iron was stolen. I haven't seen it since. Also, that night my shoes were stolen out of my locker and I haven't seen them either."
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2005, 10:15:40 PM »

I does not surprise me a whit you find those views bland and repetitive, though it does make me sad for your golfing soul.

Tom, one of the criticisms I've heard from others is that there's a monotony to the backround or surroundings at Sand Hills.

I'd have to agree with that, but that, it in no way detracts from the golf course in my view.

I rather like Sand Hills for the presentation within the golf course.
[/color]

Gee, a friend of ours gave us MUSIC to play to accompany said views, music he found appropriate to match its grandeur.  I guess he was full of shit and you played Eminem in your car?

I believe the music was timed such that you arrived at the driveway when the DVD expired.

The ride from Gothenburg was spent, more in conversation, then in listening to the music which was a nice backround, but not the critical component to the ride.
[/color]

And my memory is flawed at times, but not this time. YOU might have had that conversation on Ben's porch.  I've had it several times - in the visit with you and my prior one - either standing behind 2 green or on 3 tee.  In any case, hmmmm.... you acknowledge the conversation took place but choose to question the details.... Interesting why you'd care about something that you believe doesn't matter at all.....

Once again, you're confusing and blending topics.

My interest in the tower had to do with scale and distance, absent landmarks, not about the golf course or the areas adjacent to the golf course.

Sean Arble objected to the windmill to the left of the 18th fairway.  I sort of like the creaky sound and visual, but, it didn't enter into the analysis of the architecture.

I have many interests, and golf and golf course architecture are but two of them.

Ask Ran for instance, about my interest in the ballet.
[/color]

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:19:12 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2005, 11:52:09 PM »
Pat, Don't you find that an elegant curtain really improves the dance?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2005, 09:52:31 AM »
Adam:

Don't you find that a butt-ugly dancer detracts from the dance, or a gorgeous one improves it?

Patrick:

That's all decent stuff.  You still can't deny that the vistas exist, and that they matter.  Perhaps not to you, but to some golfers.

Bottom line, end of story, checkmate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 09:52:49 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Allan Long

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2005, 02:46:24 PM »
Pat,

Although I haven't played it from the upper tee, I did go up and look at it. I too think it would be a very tough hole (especially if the wind blew), but I prefer the hole from the lower tee for two reasons.
One, (and I am speaking in regeard to the tees that I played--diamonds) all the other par 3's play in the 200-220 range. I like that there is one offering that allows you to put something other than a long iron (or more) in your hands. The same as one would probably not want all par 3's on a course to be 150 yards, I like that #17 gives you another option.
Two, discounting yardage, I think the hole from the lower tee
is more visually intimidating. If I remember correctly, from the upper tee you see the entire green complex and everything around it. From the lower tee, you cannot see the entire green or the entire scope of trouble that awaits if you hit a poor shot.
From the upper tee, you may make the argument that #17 would be a much tougher hole, but from the lower tee, I think it makes the entire set of par 3's stronger.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 02:47:37 PM by Allan_Long »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2005, 03:14:08 PM »
Pat

I don't dislike the the windmill or the bunker.  Aesthetically, I prefer the hole without them.  I can understand keeping the old dear if it meant going through the effort of tearing it down.  If it was built later I am not sure as to why.  I guess somebody thought it would look cool.  To each is own.  The hole looks pretty good to me either way.

Ciao

Sean    
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2005, 10:02:04 PM »
Sean,

On the one hour ride from North Platte to Sand Hills the surrounding sand hills are peppered with these windmills which function to provide water for the cattle.

Likewise, many of the blowout bunkers appear naturally in the landscape, the product of rain, snow, wind and gravity.

One should make the drive during the day to get a feel for the land that the golf course sits on.

I happened to like the creaky noise from the windmill as there was practically no other sounds on the property other than Ran whining for more shots and a terrible cheer and scream from the 17th green.

Gene Greco

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2005, 10:14:39 PM »
Sean:

The windmill was there.

So were the bunkers.

All of them.

The course was built in a morning.

Six hours.

Done.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back