News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Doyle

Re:The Best-ever GCA-oriented souvenir ever, ever, ever!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 04:03:16 PM »
I think it's worse worse to wear logoes of courses that you haven't even played.

It's a good thing everyone doesn't believe this, or ANGC would lose about $10 million in merchandise revenue every April.  We might have to watch the Masters with 8 minutes of commercials every hour.  :'(

Sean Leary

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 04:05:28 PM »
Andy,

I believe that that is the tournament logo, not the club logo...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 12:36:51 AM »
 ;D ;DI have not actually played this course but I do have a cool story about when I went to Bay Hill. I was thinking about golfing when I first came to the course, but nobody was there because of an incoming hurricane due to hit the next day. I wanted to at least get a souvenir since I was on vacation, but the pro shop was closing down. I walked around the shop and saw a worker. H e told me to go to the main lodge to see if anybody was there. It turned out that Arnold Palmer's CEO was right in the parking lot with his cart, talking to some workers. Not knowing who they were at the time, we went up and asked to purchase some souvenir's, explaining that the worker had said to come around. Not only did we get a friendly greeting, but one of the workers went around and grabbed a sleeve of logo balls for me. Then Mr. Easler, the CEO, told a worker to go get one of the 17th. A minute later she came out and handed me a lithograph of the 17th hole. COOL. Then, Mr. Easler told me and my dad to pop in his golf cart. Obviously we did, and mom and sis stayed talking to the workers. We did not know where we were going but we soon found out. Mr. Easler gave us a tour around the signature holes -16,17, and 18- and let us ntake all the pictures we wanted. Before we left he showed us where the sword presentation took place when there was bad weather, and where the president stayed when he came there. When we got back to the lodge he told my family that we could start on the first hole and walk the course, and take any amount of pictures we chose. That was so cool, but still not the end! When we got back he gave us a tour of the lodge, which was amazing, and then took us into his office, where some other workers were waiting. He gave me two bay hill hats, pins, visors, and even an official bay hill staff hat worn only in the Bay Hill Invitational. Before we left and thanked him, he told us to send the lithograph back in the winter. A little confused, we politely said OK. Later that winter we sent it back. One day before Christmas I got something in the mail. It was that same lithograph, and signed by Mr. Arnold Palmer himself. In presented it to my family as we were having a party. ;D ;D

I wish I had a picture of the lithograph...  One last thing about Mr. Palmer.  On my last trimester of freshman year in highschool I had to do a special interview (my feature interview...).  I mailed Arnold and he totally did it for me, and even called my house.  Anyways, the signed lithograph is a cool lithograph.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 09:52:31 AM »
And people were wondering who the deities of golf are.

There is only one King.

GREAT story - thanks for sharing it, Jordan.

TH

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:45 AM »
Agreed TH!!!

Thanks for shairng the interesting story, Jordan.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 10:20:02 AM »
Of course if my Dad ever sees this I will deny it all and/or claim temporary insanity.  We've been fighting the Nicklaus (me) v. Palmer (him) battle for YEARS.

;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 10:27:11 AM »
The Best-ever GCA-oriented souvenir ever, ever, ever![/I]

That would be the Belhaven's ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 10:38:17 AM »
I have the recipe for bread pudding from the Royal & Ancient clubhouse.

Mike
The Anti-Hillbilly
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Doug Siebert

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 01:54:18 AM »
Tom,

Don't worry, I saw a link to an article in USA Today about a woman who managed to get her dad onto ANGC (by writing letters to all the local residents from that leaked membership list from a few years ago)  The member who did it has done similar things for other people who have undergone loss (the father's wife had died after a long battle with cancer)  He said he was inspired by Jack Nicklaus after his 10 year old son died the week of the Masters in 1986.  Even though the guy wasn't even an ANGC member yet at the time it happened, Jack had heard about the death in the local news and wrote him a letter offering his condolences.  Not like Jack anything else to think about that week, what with winning his sixth Masters and all.

So Arnie and Jack are both better people than most, and your eternal Nicklaus v. Palmer battle can continue.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back