News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The Best-ever GCA-oriented souvenir ever, ever, ever!
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »
Apparently, I am the proud possessor of an abnormally large cranium. I assume it's due to my phenomenal intellect or possibly (and probably more believably) due to the effects of consuming too much alcohol at an early age thus swelling my fontal lobes and cerebral cortex forever.

This large noggin often makes it difficult for me to find well-fitting Caps in Pro Shops to buy as souvenirs of visits to fine Golfing Venues.

In the (glorious) pro shop at Cypress, I was trying on all the caps I could find on the rack (proper one-size ones) but could not find one which was big enough. They seemed to stop at 7and3/8 and I am at least a 7and1/2.

I was lamenting the fact to Casey, the new young Pro, and he immediately pointed me in the direction of a row of adjustable caps on a wall rack. "These are good quality" he said, picking one up and showing it to me. "And they have this nice feature too".

I bought it immediately....

Not for the front view, which is splendid in itself:

but for the detail on the rear:

Now I can have MacKenzie always on my head, as well as always in my head...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Huckaby

Re:The Best-ever GCA-oriented souvenir ever, ever, ever!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:54:59 PM »
CLASSIC!

;D ;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 05:00:24 PM »
Nice, however I have a souvenir that wins in the "non-GCA" category ... I'll post a photo later ...  ;D
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 05:07:05 PM »
But won't wearing a Cypress Point skull cap make your head grow even more?  How will you ever get through the clubhouse door at Fernandino Beach GC?  

Personally, I just wear a Chia hat so it grows, swells and shrinks according to the local environment.

Ch - ch - ch - Cheeaaah !!!
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 05:43:52 PM »
The scariest thing is playing golf with one Mike Golden when he "double logos" Cypress Point -- cap and shirt!  Isn't that a fashion no-no?   ::)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:50:57 PM »
Ahhh - fashion no-nos, a favorite topic.

I do believe double logos are a no-no, but if you must do it, the SAME logo is far better than two different.  There is nothing dorkier than a Ballybunion hat combined with a Lahinch shirt - like the awful drink the Black and Tan, you're taking two great things and mixing them together into something putrid.

So two Cypress logoes works - but just barely.

What does work in terms of multiple logoes is mixing genre.  For example, a Belhaven's Best hat and an NGLA sweater... or a Yahoo! hat and a Santa Teresa shirt... not that anyone I know would ever combine these... but the point is golf course on one, something else preferably not golf-related on the other, that works.

Then we come to the golden rule of logoes:  if Mr. Huntley is to be there, just punt and assume he has the best.  At one GCA-related logofest he just silently tapped his R&A crest and those with any brains shut up damn quick.

These are the laws.  I make them.  It's my world and we will have no dissent.

;D ;D ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 05:53:45 PM »
Aye, I see ye half quiet'a stack o scourcards an yardditch books too laddie.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 05:55:43 PM »
I also can't help but notice his devotion to Arsenal football so prominently displayed.

Kudos to anyone who understands this.

;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 05:58:19 PM »
What I think is scary is that he bought a hat to match the color of his keyboard ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »
Of course if Martin is going to join the pantheon of great GC archies and constructors, he must now proceed to accumulate a bonny salty band that crusts right on the denim.  All the coolest "working" architects and builders proudly display their best logo hats worn as they perspire and toil on the job, then wear them to all the best GCA.com outings to show they truly are worth their salt. ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 06:55:03 PM »
All the coolest "working" architects and builders proudly display their best logo hats worn as they perspire and toil on the job, then wear them to all the best GCA.com outings to show they truly are worth their salt. ;) ;D

Dick,

I am not sure if you noticed this summer when we played at Wild Horse, but the architecture aficionados here at GCA are holding up their end in this department too.

Mike Sweeney
Architecture Aficionado  ;)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 06:59:47 PM »
Tom,

I have spent more time looking for the Arsenal connection that should. Do tell.

By the way I hope the children were in bed and asleep when Thierry Henry missed the penalty in the Champions League game.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »
Bob - it is quite far-fetched.

See the little "O2" logo on what appears to be a modem or something, behind the hat in the 2nd picture?

Of course that is the corporate shirt sponsor for the beloved gunners.  Only a true fan would get his communications devices from such a company.

And my son luckily did miss his hero's missed PK.  Sadly though he and I watched the entire Newcastle debacle.

:'(

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 07:17:10 PM »
Huck, you have been watching too much CSI Dunfermline Centre.  Inspector Huckaby, I presume.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 07:43:19 PM »
Unless you are a member of the club, logo-wear screams of class/course envy. Much like the non-Harvard grad wearing a Harvard sweatshirt. The absolute worst is to buy the logo hat or shirt and then wear it while you play the course (it's slightly more acceptable to purchase and bring home simply as a souvenir—perhaps to adorn a mantle or bookshelf but never, ever to be worn in public). Comparable to the loser who buys and and then puts on a band's crisply folded t-shirt while rocking out at said band's concert.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 07:48:23 PM »
Huck, you have been watching too much CSI Dunfermline Centre.  Inspector Huckaby, I presume.

I was picturing John Nash in "A Beautiful Mind" seeing all those connections between things.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 08:21:02 PM »

I think it's worse worse to wear logoes of courses that you haven't even played.  I have been given a CPC hat and a Merion hat by friends who played that have stayed in my closet for years because I can't bring myself to wear them.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 01:32:20 AM »
(it's slightly more acceptable to purchase and bring home simply as a souvenir—perhaps to adorn a mantle or bookshelf but never, ever to be worn in public).

What if the course is NLE?  I have a shirt from the Desert Inn.

Jason

Philip Gawith

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 04:52:28 AM »
Dan - your views on this subject are too militant. Agreed, it is wrong to wear the gear of a club that you have not played. But there is nothing wrong with wanting to identify with a club which you have played and admire, anymore than wearing the t-shirt of the band you liked (admittedly when you were younger, and certainly not newly folded, while watching them. That is what the English would call "naff" ;D)

To take one example - I have played golf at Dornoch for a decade, it has powerful positive memories,  I am not a member, and yes I have proudly worn the logo.

And what about my Durban Country Club shirt? For people on this site, I think it is quite an interesting fact to know that someone has played a course you cherish, but have not seen or played. Just as I would find it interesting to know if someone had been to Sand Hills, Merion etc. All that the logo does, inter alia,  is help get you to some of these common interests a bit quicker.

ForkaB

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 05:09:50 AM »
You gotta be careful with these souvenirs.....

They sold me a cap at NGLA which has a bird on it rather than the cute little dutch guys playing kolven, and at Dornoch there are two logos, one for members one for the rest of the world.  I think I like the rest of the world one better.....

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 05:15:25 AM »
Philip

There is nothing wrong with a handout.  I am partial to gifts.  Somebody gave me a Royal Melbourne hat.  It would be churlish not to wear it as I am not a collector.  I don't care what the logo is or if I have played there.  Though I must say that I prefer logo-free clothes.  Unfortunately, these days it is becoming more and more difficult to find high quality casual wear without logos.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Philip Gawith

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 05:30:53 AM »
Rich - your comment made me think about different classes of member/citizen, which leads inexorably to the topic of "reserved parking for club officials". There have surely been threads on this weight topic before. Anyway, it may be one of the greatest recommendations about Huntercombe that it does not follow this practice!

Sean - I agree. Churlishness is a bad thing, certainly worse than wearing a logo of a place where you have not been. It is a question of the spirit in which you approach these things - whether you are honouring the giver of the gift, or making a dodgy statement of association. I know you are on the right side of the line. ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 05:49:18 AM »
Philip

I agree 100% about the parking deal.  Our club has about 10 spots reserved for everyone and his brother.  I have been lobbying to make this area a garden.  I don't want to walk up my club and look at a bunch of foreign cars.

Ciao

Sean

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 06:23:24 AM »
Sean, how do you define "foreign cars" when you are from the US and live in the UK?

Just curious....... ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 12:53:26 PM »
Bill

A foreign car is one without my badge on it!

Ciao

Sean

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back