News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:Dormy (sp?) Holes
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 06:50:26 PM »
"They are all over the place, but Lehigh's is the best because Flynn did it.  (We think it's Flynn)

Actually, it has certainly been there since at the very least the late 1940's but it is hard to be certain of its existence before the war due to the photograph angles available.  The original map drawing file I have does not show it."

The 19th hole at Lehigh is visible in a 1938 aerial courtesy of the thin man in Washington, DC.

michael_j_fay

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 08:45:21 PM »
One of the best dormie holes is the tiebreaker at Double Eagle near Colombus, Ohio.

The par three between number four and number five at Hartford Golf Club used to be part of the course. It ws put out of play in the 1940's or 50's when the course sold off some holes for development.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 02:42:47 PM »
I played two courses with a par 3 19th hole in the past year or so.  The first was Trophy Club, just outside of Indianapolis.  The other is Forest Dunes.  Both are short, fun  par 3's with bunkers in the middle of the green.

redanman

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005, 06:50:13 PM »
The 19th hole at Lehigh is visible in a 1938 aerial courtesy of the thin man in Washington, DC.

If you look very closely at that photo you will notice that there is a practice fairway, shaped much differently from the 19th and a practice green that is a different colour than the other greens on the course.  It is a decidely different arrangement. It only proves that something different from what is there today was present then. It does not prove a 19th hole per se.

The arrangement of the 18th green,  16th green and 17th tee today is different than the original Flynn routing map, but that has at least one alteration in handwriting on it so it, too proves nothing.  It also, specifically does not show a 19th hole.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:19:26 PM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

Ryan Wharton

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 09:28:38 PM »
Legendary Run in Cincinnati (Art Hills) has a 19th. It's not really routed well with the rest of the course, and kind of out of the way, but interesting none the less.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 10:38:58 PM »
Scarborough's excellent 19th is the trickiest three on the course. A great place to make a bet.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »
Ryan

I was hoping Jim Lewis would jump in with comments about Forest Creek. I played with Jim there last year and he gave me some insight. I believe the original intention was to find a way to have the 18th green set below the clubhouse. When this was not possible the owners suggested the idea of the Hog Hole which apparently did not sit well with Mr.F. However Mr. F. was not thrilled about having the owners design their own Hog Hole so he reluctantly agreed to do so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back