News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

The Golf Club at Cape Cod - Falmouth
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:05:47 AM »
These are the first pictures (pdf file) that I have seen of this Rees Jones project near the ferrry to The Vineyard in Falmouth. Has anyone seen it?
http://www.tgccc.com/fall_2005_update.pdf

I also drove by Woods Hole GC last year going to and from The Ferry, has anyone played it? It looks very interesting?

ForkaB

Re:The Golf Club at Cape Cod - Falmouth
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:19 AM »
Mike

My grandfather had a summer home in Falmouth and was a long time member of and Greens Chairman at Woods Hole.  It was one of the first proper golf courses I played (in the late 50's), where my father first learned to play golf, the first place that I met a hooker (my Uncle Ben's "girlfriend") and the first place I broke bogey for 9 holes.  I loved the place, even though at that time I hadn't read Simpson and Wethered, much less Hutchinson or Max Behr........ :'(

It was a 40 year gap before I played the course aqain (September 2000 in conjunction with a nephew's wedding) and I fell in love all over again.  Shortish, but with no uninteresting golf holes, and more than a few that might give wet dreams to the quirkheads on this site (if properly photographed--the holes not the "quirkheads".....).  Lot's of great memories for me.

I've posted a number of times about this course in the past, but nobody else seems to ever have played the place nor seems to want to, in their rush to get to Eastward Ho! or even Nantucket.  As a wiser man than I is wont to say:  "'Tis a pity"....................

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:37:30 AM »
I've posted a number of times about this course in the past, but nobody else seems to ever have played the place nor seems to want to, in their rush to get to Eastward Ho! or even Nantucket.  As a wiser man than I is wont to say:  "'Tis a pity"....................

Please tell your Nephew, Uncle or The Hooker to be prepared for a home and home match next summer at Woods Hole and Wianno. If you can set us up with The Hooker, maybe I can get some others (Mr Moore can close his eyes when he crosses two state lines) to play.  ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 10:19:21 AM »
Woods Hole is a fun course. As Rich said it is short and sporty, the main feature is the rolling terrain, very undulating ground. There are a few holes were you have lovely views of the harbour. One of the stranger features of the course (as I recall) is going from a green across the fairway of a long hole (right through middle of that hole which is running perpindicular to the direction you are walking) to reach the next tee on the other side....twice during the round.

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 10:38:05 AM »
Mike

The Uncle's deid, and so probably is the hooker (she'd be about 75 by now anyway....), and the Nephew isn't a member, but I think a cousin might be.  Let me know if you want me to use my not uninconsiderable juice.  Mr. Moore can come along too, just as long as he doesn't ask anybody to ask him about golf in Maine, or the relative quality of lobsters....

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »
Here is a very informative and well written article

http://www.golfoncapecod.com/Summ05CourseReviewWH.php

which reminds us that this is a Stiles and Van Kleek effort.

On the all-time list of "ratio of drive-bys to actual rounds" Wood's Hole is world class.

PS - I see that Mike Sweeney is becoming more and more enamored of Cape Cod and her vaguely 18th century ways by his capitalization of "The Ferry" - could there be another than the one to The Vineyard?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 10:59:33 AM »
Many thanks for that article, Michael.  It reminds me that I sent a bunch of old clippings to Jerry Kelly prior to the writing of the centennial book.  Would like to get a copy.  If you and Mike make it there next year, see if there are any available.

Cheers

Rich

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 12:09:04 PM »

I also drove by Woods Hole GC last year going to and from The Ferry, has anyone played it? It looks very interesting?

Mike:
I have played Woods Hole many times.  It is a very good golf course and lots of fun to play.  Also has many challenging holes.  It is a great spot.
Fairways and Greens
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back