News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

One Year
« on: December 13, 2005, 10:55:34 PM »
I have now been on this site for a year.  My observations:

1.  There are many people on this site with immense talent, great writers, architects, greenkeepers, photography people and funny people.

2.  It is very difficult to have an internet discussion that is appropriately respectful and refreshingly candid.  This site does it about as well as I have seen.

3.  There is a vague but palpable fear of being violated in some despicable way when going to play golf with someone that you have only connected with via the internet.  

4.  Fortunately, the fears have been unfounded  (so far)

5. There will be a "group therapy" session every three months or so.  

6.  Having a better knowledge of golf architecture does not help your game one bit.  Hitting better shots helps your game.

7.  There are more courses that I really want to play than I will ever play.

8.  Creating interesting photographs of golf courses is harder than it seems it should be.  

9.  Photographs can easily deceive.

10.  The internet has fundamentally changed the world. It is possible to get the specifics on a golf green 1/2 the world away within a few hours.

Thanks everyone.  I look forward to the next year.  

Philip Gawith

Re:One Year
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 08:07:25 AM »
Jason - looking forward to meeting up in Sydney. Isn't that amazing, two people from distant parts of the world meeting in an even further distant part of the world - through GCA!

Aren't we lucky boys?

No violation, I promise. After all, what would the wives say? ;)

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »

Jason,

Its always been harder for me to explain to others that I am flying half way across the country to play golf with people I met on an Internet chat group. :)

Every time its been a blast.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 12:03:58 PM »
My fiancee calls them my "internet blind dates."

She thinks that's pretty funny.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:15:38 PM »
 Jason-  thanks for the thoughts.  I have really enjoyed meeting several others through this site and it really is amazing that you can meet someone here and end up playing golf with them 3000 miles away!  And become lasting friends.  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
Jason,
you should be made aware that this site is actually run by Opus Dei and all these guys wear barb-wire lined undergarments.

RUN AWAY!!!

Just joshing - although I will admit to the fact that Bill V and I have genuinely seen each other naked....

" Mommy, mommy, Danny saw me naked!"

FBD
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

redanman

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 01:31:56 PM »
Indeed, true as stated.  :-X

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:50:57 PM »

It all started at Pasatiempo with the Emporer and Mike Golden on the ides of March, 1998 for me. I wasn't absolutely sure if he was Italian or Japanese, not that it made a difference.  Later that week included Dan King and Kevin Reilly, but it did feel like potentially meeting a stalker that first time .......... (with Naccarato, that is...)  :)

Bill, sorry I couldn't meet up with you when you were out here earlier this month...I've only recently dug myself out of a huge pile of work.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:59:23 PM »
I'd apologize also if I thought he would buy it.

;D

But as John Krystynak and other locals well know, it takes freakin' miracles to get golf allowed for me, and having a real job after all of these years doesn't exactly help matters.

:'(

In any case, as one who has been at this game as long as anyone, I can happily report that what I said in the late 90s still rings true today:  I've yet to meet anyone uninteresting and unfun from this internet golf stuff.

The funny thing is, in terms of explaining it to my wife, I guess I've done so much of it now she just grudgingly accepts it, figuring if an axe murderer hasn't gotten me yet then I must be safe.  But of course you all know you are lumped into one big classification as "friends of Mr. Huntley", right?

;)

What I find impressive is those of you who can mix your two lives... that is, allow these internet golf friends into your real home life... jeez I don't mean this as an offense to any of you, but it's no accident that I think the only guy from here who's ever met my wife is Mike Benham, classified as a fellow SCU alum... Dave Wigler did also, but he's not around much any more...

I just have WAY too much to lose, if you know what I mean.  I simply can't risk the blackmail.

;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 02:02:28 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 02:07:18 PM »

Jason,

Its always been harder for me to explain to others that I am flying half way across the country to play golf with people I met on an Internet chat group. :)

Every time its been a blast.

Craig - I agree on both counts.  

It is even more difficult to explain to an unitiated that you bring along.  I'll never forget a wrong turn in Texarkana that led my two trip companions to wonder what they had gotten themselves into.    

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 02:11:21 PM »

;D

But as John Krystynak and other locals well know, it takes freakin' miracles to get golf allowed for me, and having a real job after all of these years doesn't exactly help matters.

:'(

In any case, as one who has been at this game as long as anyone, I can happily report that what I said in the late 90s still rings true today:  I've yet to meet anyone uninteresting and unfun from this internet golf stuff.

The funny thing is, in terms of explaining it to my wife, I guess I've done so much of it now she just grudgingly accepts it, figuring if an axe murderer hasn't gotten me yet then I must be safe.  But of course you all know you are lumped into one big classification as "friends of Mr. Huntley", right?

;)

What I find impressive is those of you who can mix your two lives... that is, allow these internet golf friends into your real home life... jeez I don't mean this as an offense to any of you, but it's no accident that I think the only guy from here who's ever met my wife is Mike Benham, classified as a fellow SCU alum... Dave Wigler did also, but he's not around much any more...

I just have WAY too much to lose, if you know what I mean.  I simply can't risk the blackmail.

;D

Agree 100% with the Huckster's comments...nothing but positive, awesome experiences from meeting those folks from this group...both on and off the course.

To one of TH's later comments...I even have had the good fortune of being invited to stay at GCA'rs houses...talk about a generous and open/inviting bunch!!!

Given the context of our little group, the overall intellect represented, and all the good that golf itself espouses (honor, integrity, respect, sportsmanship, etc.)...would you expect anything less?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 02:16:50 PM »
Very well said, Evan.

I guess I just REALLY fear the day my wife finds out just how much time I really spend on this stuff.

I think I have a bit more to fear than most in that area.

;)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
Very well said, Evan.

I guess I just REALLY fear the day my wife finds out just how much time I really spend on this stuff.

I think I have a bit more to fear than most in that area.

;)

Understood...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 02:25:36 PM »
Ev,

I've got you one better.  Despite having a hotel room booked for a business trip, and notwithstanding the fact that my hotel room was WAY closer to the meetings I had to be at, after a proper amount of declining the invitation, I actually chose to eat the cancellation fee personally to stay overnight at a GCAer's house recently because I knew it would be fun as hell!

and it was... ;D

Guys...

Need we say more?!?!?  ;D 8) :o

Andy Doyle

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 03:58:08 PM »

Aha!  The real reason your # of posts was reset to zero.

AD

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »

Aha!  The real reason your # of posts was reset to zero.

AD

Let's just say that it was a happy mistake.

And redanman, no hassles man.  I'm just bummed I missed you.

TH

David Wigler

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 05:29:35 PM »

;D

;D

Huck,

I hope Lori and I weren't the reason you are scared to introduce others to your lovely wife.  I had a blast that night.   :)
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 05:31:07 PM »
Hi Dave!

Oh man, you and Lori are what would give me greater bravery.

I just do have a strong fear of blackmail.  Too many here know too much about my screwing-around time.

;D

David Wigler

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 05:34:39 PM »
Tom,

Send me a quick e-mail with a new phone number or e-mail.  I would love to catch up.

Dave
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 05:36:24 PM »
When I told my wife we were going to have dinner and sleep at Barney's house, she asked me if I ever met him.

I said no, just on GCA. I described some of Barney's posts and she told me I was crazy, she was not sleeping in his house,

"What if he's a serial killer'?

Well, Barney cooked us a fine meal, we had great conversation, Bette locked all the doors that nite just in case, and in the morning she found a dead bat in the bathroom.

I never heard the end of that ;D.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 05:51:15 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Benham

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 05:41:51 PM »
... jeez I don't mean this as an offense to any of you, but it's no accident that I think the only guy from here who's ever met my wife is Mike Benham, classified as a fellow SCU alum... Dave Wigler did also, but he's not around much any more...

Don't worry, I think the continued babble about SCU athletics, kids sports and life on the Peninsula has got her fooled ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 06:29:47 PM »
I've been posting for six months now and so far have only met one other guy through the site.  I played Woking with Richard Pennell this autumn.  Met up, shook hands and started playing so as not to miss the light. We're getting along really well and after about an hour, on the right hand side of the 6th fairway I find a whole bunch of Penny Bun Bolete, Cep (Boletus edulis),just about the very best tasting wild mushroom you can find.  So I’ll filled my bag and offered Richard a particularly fine specimen.  He looked a bit dubious but put it away in his bag. For a while I talked about my mushroom hunting and all the nonsense people believe about them.  I mentioned that my late father who had been a GP always believed my daughter was born 3 month premature because the day before we’d been eating “the fruit of the forest”.  “All nonsense” I assurred him.

Later my wife asked how I’d got on with the ‘psycho killer’ I’d met through the internet.  I told her we’d got on really well and about how he’d nervously taken the mushroom.

Next day I got a great email from Richard saying how much he’d enjoyed the golf and that he’d cooked the mushroom for his girlfriend and her opinion of golf courses had gone up as a result.

Well I enjoyed Woking so much that 2 weeks later I persuaded ‘the brother’ he had to see it with me. (He’s a lurker here).  This time behind the7th green I found a big patch of Chantrelles (the second best fungi you find in Britain).  I filled my bag and then offered him some. “Er no thanks” – My own brother!!!!!  (it proves you can only trust the members).

Richard and I are due to meet Sean Arble before the year is out (mushroom season is now over).  Roll on Hoylake in the Autumn.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 06:31:10 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ash Towe

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 07:05:53 PM »
Jason,
My GCA blind date was as follows.  I live in New Zealand and met my blind date in New York.  I had never met this person before, we had only communicated via e mail,yet he helped arrange the accomodation, sightseeing, golf and avoid any of the pitfalls one can encounter on such a trip.  My wife also came with me on this journey of faith.
I think people on this site share a common bond.  There are obviously huge variations but we are drawn together by our love for a game, particularly certain aspects.  What is great is that there are no bounderies be it political or any other kind.
Our trip was extremely successful in all ways but particularly the people we met, especially our hosts.  We hope to meet others via this site in future.  I would recomend others do the same if they have the chance.

David Wigler

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 07:38:23 PM »
I guess I will return for one real post.

I have met up with or played golf with well over 50 people from this site - either through them coming by Detroit and joining me at Plum Hollow or through my travels with my old job.  Without exception, I have found every one of them to be a treat to golf with, hang out with or just tell stories with.  

Some like Gib, Tommy, Huck, Shivas, Bob, Paul and John, I have had the great fortune to see multiple times and consider them good friends.  So many others I have had the chance to correspond with multiple times and writing a post like this makes me think of how long it has been since I have spoken with Sandy, Joe, Mike, Geoffrey, Tom, Neil, Ed, Eric, Lou, Don and so many others and that I miss GCA.  I hope that every one of you has very happy holidays and I can only recommend taking the plunge, the people are the strength of this site.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back