News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Moffat

Lee Trevino Design
« on: December 09, 2005, 07:19:44 AM »
If Lee designed a Par3,4,5 to suit himself, what would it be?

Given that he, famously, hit it left to right, low, and stopped the ball rolling in 1.5 bounces and considered himself "world champeen" bunker player and wind player?  

On the green, holes cut right would be a cinch for him, at least, the ball would be rolling towards the hole if it landed short and left (as it always does for me!)

Doug Sobieski

Re:Lee Trevino Design
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 08:03:04 AM »
Lee actually collaborated on a design with Ron Garl in Melbourne, FL called La Cita. Anybody played it? Maybe that could give us some insight. Does anyone know of any other courses where he influenced the design?

If I recall correctly, it is very narrow from what I was told.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 08:03:31 AM by Doug Sobieski »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 08:31:31 AM »
Definitely won't be Glen Abbey...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:22:22 AM »
......or Augusta National!   :P

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »
He would love a reverse redan a la #17 at St. Louis C.C.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 11:30:37 AM »
I am not so sure about him loving a reverse redan.  One would think so when watching his ball flight, but one time during the Shark Shootout years ago at Sherwood, he was on the tee of a reverse redan par 3 (8th).  And he said out loud so everyone could hear, "I wonder what Jack was smoking when he designed this hole?"
Maybe the comment was for entertainment value maybe not.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 11:49:57 AM »
Interesting.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 12:23:53 PM »
I am not so sure about him loving a reverse redan.  One would think so when watching his ball flight, but one time during the Shark Shootout years ago at Sherwood, he was on the tee of a reverse redan par 3 (8th).  And he said out loud so everyone could hear, "I wonder what Jack was smoking when he designed this hole?"
Maybe the comment was for entertainment value maybe not.

Maybe it was because he built a hole that Lee liked for a change.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 03:15:18 PM »
He would love a reverse redan a la #17 at St. Louis C.C.

James -- it's number 16, actually.  

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 03:16:05 PM »
Jim -

You are correct.  Thanks!

JWK

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:37:10 PM »
Growing up down the street from Wethersfield CC, the original site of the Greater Hartford Open until 1983, I got to watch Lee a lot on that golf course.  Not only in the tournament, but he bought his mother-in-law's house adjacent to the 16th tee and practiced a lot there.
The 8th hole there is a 370 yard par 4, slightly uphill, 90 degree dogleg right, woods and o.b. on the right, falling off to the left.  During the tournament, I spent a lot of time on that tee and virtually everyone hit a long iron off the tee to the only flat spot in the fairway.  Lee was the only one I saw who hit driver there every time and he could get his fade up in the air pretty well when he had to, in this case to cut the corner.
He'd leave himself an uphill wedge of about 90 yards to a blind green and he absolutely owned this hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back