News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Hilton Head--late January
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »
Looking for a little help again. I'm already sick of snow in northern Indiana and thinking about trying to venture down to Hilton Head about the last week of January.

Two questions...

1. How's the weather? I don't mind playing in a jacket but the idea is to get out of the cold here :)

2. Other than Harbour Town, what courses are recommended in the area? We'll probably play one of the other two courses at Sea Pines then hopefully have time for two other rounds. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We'll only have two so if anybody will be in the area send me an IM.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 09:23:08 PM by Andy Troeger »

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Hilton Head--late January
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 06:26:05 AM »
Andy,
  You can expect temps in the high 50's to low 60's, though it was still mid 70's here last January. There should be alot of deals around the time that you come down here. Harbour Town will probably not be in the greatest shape, as they say to try to play it 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after the tournament. Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront (RTJ restored my Roger Rulwich in 2002),Hilton Head National (Gary Player/Bobby Weed) and the new Hampton Hall. (A supposed Pete Dye, but I think that they just use his name. If you can gain access to the private course, they you're going to play some really good tracks-Berkeley Hall-2 Fazio, Belfair-2 Fazio, Colleton River-A Nicklaus and a Dye and of course, Long Cove Club!  ;D

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 09:02:47 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 08:53:19 AM »
Andy,
  You can expect temps in the high 50's to low 60's...

It could be better, or it could be worse. (I lived there for 44 years). The problem with playing golf in January in the Georgia/Carolina is a total inability to make advance plans. You may as well just stay in Indiana and hope for a nice weekend.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 09:20:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses. There are quite a few deals (admittedly why we're looking in the first place as opposed to somewhere warmer). I wouldn't have access to any private courses, so if the weather is iffy and Harbour Town isn't likely to be in great condition I'll have to keep thinking...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 01:19:59 PM »
Andy:

Keep in mind that the sheer bulk of what calls itself "worthwhile" golf at Hilton Head is primarily of the gated community type. In sum -- it's private.

Harbour Town is one of the most overpriced and poorly prepared top 100 course one can play -- I used to put Pebble in that spot but HT has it beat by miles. The place is ONLY in shape as Tony mentioned -- just weeks before and after the anual Tour event. Yes, people should play it when they can but if you want to make shoulder turns to get your putts near the hole during the winter months then I'd advise other options.

If I had to recommend a location I'd try either Charleston or head a bit further south to Jacksonville. You have a greater range of courses that are available and the off-course activivity options are also more numerous and interesting.

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 10:49:36 PM »
....or you could explore St Simons, Jeykl, and Sea Island.
If you are from Indiana you won't mind the weather, hell, bring your bathing suit 8)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Ken Bramlett

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
You could take a day trip across to Daufuskie Island and play Melrose, Bloody Point or Haig Point.

Obviously, it's Hilton Head weather, but usually it's good enough to play.

Melrose and Bloody Point are easy to get on (just bring money); Haig Point is harder as they're doing their damndest to stay as private as possible.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 07:58:29 PM »
I will second Andy's suggestion of HH National.  Though if I recall correctly it is not on HH, but just short of the bridge to the island.  It was the only course I played down there I thought anything of.  There should be decent deals, but beware of the bermuda greens.  Perhaps they have been changed.  It was the first time I had ever seen a green that wasn't bent.  I suffered quite badly.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 05:59:28 AM »
Sean-
  Everything at HH National is overseeded, so golfer will be putting on Pao Triv.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 09:00:19 AM »
...beware of the bermuda greens.  Perhaps they have been changed.  It was the first time I had ever seen a green that wasn't bent.  I suffered quite badly.

Hmmm. Sean, I need to get you to central South Carolina in the summer. Then I might have a chance of winning a couple bucks.

Bent? We don't need no stinkin' Bent!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back