News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re:Food for Thought
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2005, 12:19:19 PM »
Rich,

Take care of that "Best of '05" thread for me please.  Thank you.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005, 12:41:53 PM »

Mr. Lapper

Thank you for the story.  I am sure folks on this site would have liked it more if you gave a name and his club affiliations.  Are you available to arrange rounds with this gentleman?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2005, 12:50:55 PM »
The lunch at National Golf Links is the best I have ever encountered.

I have no objections to Clubs serving lunch, but all members would be better off financially if the Clubs shut down food operations at 2:00 PM. After a good deal of investigation I would say that dinner at the Country Club costs the average member about $ 1,000.00 a year.

There are exceptions but the average Country Club would be better off out of the food business.

Michael,

I suggested to our Board that they should vote to pay every member $50.00 a month to NOT eat dinners at the Club. the deficit would be erased very quickly.

Bob

Sean Leary

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »
At my club, we do stop serving food at 2:00.  In the summer, we have dinner 1 night a week.  And we lose money on it.

Mike Benham

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2005, 01:01:15 PM »
Prestwick's lunches are very fine as well, but contrary to popular opinion, the kummel does run dry.

With the measure they pour, I'm sure there is always some leftover in someone's snifter ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Kirk

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2005, 01:04:05 PM »
Dang.  I guess thought turns to food in December.  There's no stopping food in December!  I feel weak and strangely impotent, but I will return to attempt a kill this afternoon.

If I hadn't changed my name to "Threadkiller", this might be dead already.

John_Cullum

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »
What sort of road kill is the piece de resistance on the Hillbilly Tour? ???

That reminds me of the time I was riding down some back road in West Georgia about 20 years ago, and I came upon a freshly dead Mallard hen. I stoppped the car to check her out. She was a perfect specimen, so I took her to the taxidermist. She graces a wall in our hunting lodge this day.

Then another time about ten years ago, we had an influx of mallards take up residence in the pond in our backyard. One day one of the drakes got hit by a car, but he wasn't killed, just wounded. I tried to tend him, but it became apparent he wouldn't make it, so I ate him.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

RJ_Daley

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2005, 02:07:36 PM »
Nest time you find a not so injured bird in the road that looks like good eatin or stuffin, think about this...
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1069015

or two magic words...
Bird Flu... :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2005, 02:10:55 PM »
There's a segment in the movie "Local Hero" where the main character hits a rabbit with his car while driving the back roads of Scotland. He picks up the wounded critter and keeps him in the room of his B&B...that is until the owner of the establishment serves lunch the next day. The entree is rabbit and he notices the broken leg bone left on his plate when the meal is done.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2005, 02:15:22 PM »

Mr. Lapper

Thank you for the story.  I am sure folks on this site would have liked it more if you gave a name and his club affiliations.  Are you available to arrange rounds with this gentleman?

Hammy,

Anything for you....let's see...who would like to play NGLA, Pine Valley, Cypress, ANGC???? Any takers? May I arrange for a servant and valet to accomodate your needs?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:15:45 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2005, 02:53:19 PM »
I'll keep it regional:

Long Island's Best and Worst Hot Dogs:

Best:  The Seawane Club, Hewlett Harbor:  this quarter pound Hebrew National is so darn good I used to insist that guests eat one if they were beating me in a match at the turn.  It's single handedly won me matches.  For instance, it slowed the director of golf from Rock Hill down so much my partner and I overcame a 3 down lead to win.  

Worst: Southward Ho Country Club, Bay Shore:  as much as I enjoy the club and many of its members it's got the worst hd around.  In fact, the former halfway house attendant was a women named Doris who was infamous for both her want of personality and her horrendous hotdogs . . . she was, of course, there forever and us caddies used to swear that she was instructed to serve us the old burnt dried out dogs that had been there for days.  On top of that the buns were always stale.  Without extra kraut and mustard they could literally choke you!

John_Cullum

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2005, 07:21:07 PM »
John Cullum-

That sounds a bit harsh.  Let me just ask you, did you cue the Deliverance music for your dining pleasure when u ate that duck????...

BTW, do you drive with a confederate flag on your car..  Given my last name, I might not be invited to dinner with you, but that doesnt mean I couldnt play golf with you..

Sacha

Obviously you've never dined upon wild duck a la sarge. I keep a knife sharpened under rabbinical supervision in a special cupboard for special occasions, and I seperate the duck from all dairy products. You're welcome at my table anytime, we'll stash the flag before you arrive.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Mandel

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2005, 09:06:51 PM »
Shivas,

Believe it or not, the "Jersey Tomatoe" is such a thing around here.  Jersey is somewhat famous for their Tomatoes ;)

Its sort of like that seinfeld episode when they kept referring to the "Hampton Tomatoes"

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2005, 09:17:58 PM »
NOTHING will ever be as good as a Stewart Sandwich at Rolling Hills Country Club circa 1975.  Wash it down with a Country Time Lemonade.

Just nuke it baby:

Mike

Mike

I'm right with you.  

The demise of the Stewart Sandwiches company was both the start of the decline of western civilization as we know it as well as a clear sign of the impending apocalypse.

Dan K. and I have often waxed philosophically that we'd each give our right appendage for another one of those babies served piping hot.

As for the Bourgeoisie, let them eat Snapper Soup and lunch at The National.  Their refined palates will never know the pure simple enjoyment of a slab of meat cooked with infrared technology in a snazzy cellophane bag.   ;D

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2005, 08:53:14 AM »
NOTHING will ever be as good as a Stewart Sandwich at Rolling Hills Country Club circa 1975.  Wash it down with a Country Time Lemonade.

Just nuke it baby:

Mike

Mike

I'm right with you.  

The demise of the Stewart Sandwiches company was both the start of the decline of western civilization as we know it as well as a clear sign of the impending apocalypse.

Dan K. and I have often waxed philosophically that we'd each give our right appendage for another one of those babies served piping hot.

As for the Bourgeoisie, let them eat Snapper Soup and lunch at The National.  Their refined palates will never know the pure simple enjoyment of a slab of meat cooked with infrared technology in a snazzy cellophane bag.   ;D

Well stated!

Zack Kelly

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2005, 12:25:04 PM »
The premade Turkey Sandwich at Pinehurst is damn good as well, just simple and basic but sure is good standing on the 9th tee at #2.
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back