News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Druzisky

Food for Thought
« on: December 07, 2005, 12:01:04 PM »
Speaking of the 5 essential elements, how about the food!

Just a lighter topic for fun.  Many of us are either members of or visit clubs around the country.  One of the things that often comes up in conversation by guys when they return from a visit is the telling of how that club they visited had that one particular food item or dish that you just have to get while you are there.  Its tradition.  Some are legendary. Milk shakes, soups, cookies, a special odd sandwich.  Whatever.

Whats the best?  Best known?  What are those golfdom legends?

DbD  

david h. carroll

Re:Food for Thought
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 12:13:27 PM »
Terrapin soup at PVGC with a good pour of sherry is fantastic.  Another fave of mine was the Turkey Salad sandwich at Farmington in Charlottesville....all the right ingredients and right at the turn.  Lookout has a great grilled pimento cheese, bacon and tomato sandwich -- I can't remember the name of it but it's damned good!!

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 12:33:04 PM »
I shall never forget Mike Sweeney's first golf trip deep into the heart of Maine WASP golf . . .

Club A -

Can I get a bucket of balls?
Nope.
Sandwich?
Nope.
Beer?
Nope.

Club B, later that day

Can I get a bucket of balls?
Nope.
Sandwich?
Nope.
Beer?
Nope.

He still comes back, however . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »
Burgers at the O club...

Dave_Miller

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:52:18 PM »
Burgers at the O club...

Snapper soup at Aronimink
New England Clam Chowder at Charles River
and a whole bunch of other stuff all over.
Best
Dave

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 01:00:21 PM »
David,

I would imagine that the Clam chowder is better at CR than the snickers bars were at Leo J Martin Muni where we used to sneak on the back nine while in high school.. ;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 01:37:56 PM »
Last year I had a bowl of she-crab soup in the clubhouse of the Ocean Course at Kiawah and it was a profoundly scrumptious experience. Then again, it came after nine-holes of rather bracing winter golf so maybe there was a situational effect. But it is very, very good soup.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 02:02:14 PM »
Lunch at NGLA...

david h. carroll

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »
Also the chilled spicy creamy crab soup at Five Farms in the summer is unbeatable....the regular hot tomatoe based crab soup any time of the year aint too shabby either

Michael Hayes

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »
Grandma Thayer's Meat Loaf at Bandon...
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 02:57:53 PM »
I haven't had a bad thing at Chechessee Creek Club in Beaufort, SC.  The food is great and the staff (Debra) is fantastic.  We were there a couple of weeks ago watching the Clemson / USC game during dinner in the locker room.  They set us up a table in there, so we'd be able to enjoy the game.  The club and course are some times over-looked, but I've enjoyed myself every time that I've been there.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 03:00:53 PM »
The Fried Trout Sandwich at Wade Hampton.

The Navy Bean Soup at Congressional.

The Chocolate milkshake at Castle Pines.

The Maidstone Burger at Maidstone.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »
Best lunch  is at National, followed by the 19th hole at Pebble...Cheeseburger, medium rare, smoothered in onions with well dun ultra crispy french fries pipping hot ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ted Kramer

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 03:06:36 PM »
Bacon egg and cheese (2 eggs fried, salt, pepper, ketchup)
at the deli across the street from Lido is World Class.

-Ted

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 03:27:13 PM »
in Season - Strawberry Shortcake from Strawberry Farms.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »
NOTHING will ever be as good as a Stewart Sandwich at Rolling Hills Country Club circa 1975.  Wash it down with a Country Time Lemonade.

Just nuke it baby:

Mike

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 03:28:27 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 03:33:30 PM »
Mr. Hendren,

Thanks for the stomachache. Just the memory of an over-nuked Stewart hamburger (past that certain point at which you can no longer clearly determine where the bun ends and the "meat" begins) brings that distinctive rising-gorge feeling after all these years.

The sandwiches were different but at full operating temperature they all share that slightly wrapper-y flavor and aroma.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 03:40:42 PM »
Mike -

You beat me to it!

The Stewart Burger demanded lots of ketchup while the Ham and Swiss was worth the mouth burn.  I loved and lived on those babies in the caddy shack!  I also loved how the bun would crisp up.

Great picture!  Thanks for the Mylanta Moment.

JWK

Ted Kramer

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 03:42:03 PM »
My other choice would be the chicken/steak club on the back porch at Caledonia.

-Ted

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 03:45:09 PM »
Alas -

A google turned up this sad NLE:

INJUNCTION ACTIONS
DEFENDANT: Stewart Sandwiches, Inc., at Norfolk, Va. (E.D. Va.); Civil Action No. 90-1344-N.
CHARGED 7-10-97: United States notified America's Foods, Inc. (AFI) in early 1997 that firm was successor and assign of Stewart Sandwiches, Inc. (Stewart) and operating out of compliance with consent decree. In July 1997, AFI agreed file together with United States, a Joint Motion to Grant Permissive Joiner and To Modify Consent Decree of Permanent Injunction.
DISPOSITION: Modified consent decree was entered on July 15, 1997. Thereafter, the sandwiches were destroyed, the firm shut down, and all assets were sold in bankruptcy. (Inj. No. 1233; S.J. No. 5)

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 03:49:14 PM »
During my caddie days at Manufacturers G&CC there was nothing better than a well done Dietz & Watson dog served up by George at the Half way house. Of course it was topped with Gulden's Spicy Brown!

The post round O&O's (Orange Juice and Orange Sherbet) at Heidelburg were quite refreshing.

Another Philly tradition besides the Snapper with a shot of sherry is the Transfusion. I have never seen this drink anywhere except Philly. Vodka, grape juice, and ginger ale....very good!

james soper

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 03:52:12 PM »
-eggs and bacon breakfast at secession before walking 36
-cookies in the old memorial locker room
-lunch on the verandah at wade hampton
-crabcake sandwich at the ocean course kiawah island
-drinks in the medalist locker room

james soper

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 03:54:30 PM »
i heard the buttered toast at winged foot was pretty special.
as for the lobster lunch at the national, i can only imagine.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 04:07:33 PM »
Thereafter, the sandwiches were destroyed, the firm shut down, and all assets were sold in bankruptcy. (Inj. No. 1233; S.J. No. 5)

At least that's what they want the public to believe.  I've got a climate controlled mini-storage unit packed full and have signed a distribution agreement with a pub owner in Clementon, NJ to sell them on ebay.  He insists on calling them Sturt Samiches, however.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 04:17:59 PM »
Is his name H. Cult?  (SIC)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back